Ripped Marmots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr_wu002

Reaction score
While hiking with Barbarossa this weekend, in the midst of discussing live, self-mummification and the effects of Nomadic seafaring goats navigating the Panthalassic Ocean had on prehistoric Caribou Tribes, I ripped my prized Marmot Driclime Pants! I've no plans on buying new ones. Anyone have any idea what to do? It's a 3" straight tear on the leg. Tent Patch? I don't care how it looks -- only functionality matters!

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
Wu -

Places like Joanne Fabrics carry patches of nylon in a lot of collors...the stuff peels off and is self adhesive. It has worked well on my crampon damaged snow pants and my summer hiking shorts which rapidly wore out this past year. It is probably not the exact same fabric as the Driclime, but it should work.

Wu, I've also used duct tape on my driclime pants. I've found using an iron to heat the tape while applying it makes a really tight bond. Eric and his trusty orange sweatshirt!!! Nice pics!!

McNett Tenacious

Wu...........

You might want to try www.mcnett.com for information about McNett Tenacious Sealing and Repair Tape. Hands down, the best, longest lasting, nearly invisible repair tape on the planet!

Check out their website. Click on outdoor and then tape and patches. All materials on their product line are reliable and effective.

Terrific stuff!

I had a clean cut on my gortex shell pants. I first hand sewed the cut and then applied tent seam sealer. Has been holding for about 2 years without any detioration

After some frustrations with Gore-tex patches on my gaiters a friend of mine told me he now uses Tyvek tape to fix his shell holes - the tape survived many washes. Looking at the tape properties it does seem like a feasible solution... and much cheaper than the measely Gore-tex patches.

Doug

I tried duct tape on the hike but it didn't stick -- but I'll try using an iron. It doesn't have to survive the wash, whatever solution it is, because I never ever wash my hiking clothes. They stay in my car until I wear them next.

I will try some of the other solutions people suggested. I don't think I could possibly sew it though -- I'm not very good at sewing and would make the situation worse.

After I got the rip, Pete, your name came up a lot -- especially when Eric threw the rock at that snowmobiler.

-Dr. Wu

dr_wu002 said:
I tried duct tape on the hike but it didn't stick -- but I'll try using an iron.
Some duct (original name, duck) tapes use a rubbery adhesive that gums up the surface and can dry out and fall off leaving a solid residue. In either case, the residue can make further repair much more difficult. (Duck tape was originally designed for the military to seal packages to be sent to the South Pacific.)

One apprach is to apply an adhesive patch (designed for the purpose) and then sew it in place.

Doug

DougPaul said:
Some duct (original name, duck) tapes use a rubbery adhesive that gums up the surface and can dry out and fall off leaving a solid residue. In either case, the residue can make further repair much more difficult. (Duck tape was originally designed for the military to seal packages to be sent to the South Pacific.)

One apprach is to apply an adhesive patch (designed for the purpose) and then sew it in place.

Doug
Doug, didn't you read what I said happens to me when I tried to sew? Not pretty. :p Maybe an adhesive patch with duct tape over it instead of sewing should work.

The duct tape that I used is a crappy one. I should try other duct tape that irritatingly sticks to everything. That should work.

Duck Brand duct tape (as in the part of a heating system that this tape was first used for) has been the best in my experience. there are lots of crummy variations on duct tape that won't hold up. in general, I've found the thinner varieties to be less trustworthy.

by the way, the tape on my pants has been there for almost 6 years.

you wash your outdoor clothes?

spencer

spencer said:
Duck Brand duct tape (as in the part of a heating system that this tape was first used for) has been the best in my experience. there are lots of crummy variations on duct tape that won't hold up. in general, I've found the thinner varieties to be less trustworthy.

by the way, the tape on my pants has been there for almost 6 years.

you wash your outdoor clothes?

spencer
I will check out the Duck Brand tape. I want something that is going to hold for 6 years and also that I won't have to sew it.

I take my clothes off at the trailhead (ask Barbarossa about it) and put them in my car. When on the next hike, I arrive at the trailhead and take same clothes out and put them back on. Why wash when you can wear them smelly?

-Dr. Wu

dr_wu002 said:
I tried duct tape on the hike but it didn't stick -- but I'll try using an iron. I don't think I could possibly sew it though -- I'm not very good at sewing and would make the situation worse.

I use duct tape in the inside, and Seam Grip on the outside of my numberous gaiter's wounds (my crampons are particulary mean).

I bought some generic repair tape at Tent City followed the instructions and then sealed the edges with seam grip. The repair is unsightly but effective.

Doc,

I know you not looking for fashion or laying out money for a repair. So this is more generic information dealing with gear repairs. EMS does an outstanding job repairing clothing, not just their band line. I had slice
up a fairly new pair of expensive gore tex bib with my crampons. I am taking multi slicing, made me sick to look at. On a chance took them to a local EMS store and dropped them off for repair. The repair personal even call me to discuss a game plan for the repair, suggest a materials for patching and color. When complete the bib was sent back to the local EMS outlet. Heavy duty patch, better then new and even put a patch on the good leg to make it look symmetrical. It was like I had a tailor custom repair. Cost was 30 dollars which is the most they charge for repairs.