Santanoni New/Old Trail - Official Name

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bridgeman

Reaction score
Has someone come up with a name for this trail yet?

I hiked down this trail last Saturday and found the trail in good condition.
It will be interesting to track the condition in the next few years. I could see where the trail could deteriorate quickly if overused. I did not see the start of the trail and have heard that others had trouble finding the start and end of the trail. If it continues to go unnoticed that might be the trails saviour. There was a bit of flagging at the start of the trail near Santa's summit and a small rock pile. It would be nice if the flagging was removed. One group we ran into between Times Square and the summit did not know that the trail existed. And another hiker we saw on the summit heard about the trail but didn't know where it was. We pointed out the flagging to him and he mentioned that he may descend that way.

Isn't the lower portion of the older direct Santanoni trail - the part that intersects with the main trail - still on private property, and consequently off-limits?

the thread " Santanoni, Old-New-Trail older trip reports" discussed the possible names, even though we can't official do anything they were just ideas.

ColdRiverRun said:
the thread " Santanoni, Old-New-Trail older trip reports" discussed the possible names, even though we can't official do anything they were just ideas.

I like the NON trail, as in New/Old/New trail.

ALGonquin Bob said:
Isn't the lower portion of the older direct Santanoni trail - the part that intersects with the main trail - still on private property, and consequently off-limits?
Tim, correct me it I am wrong, but:

NO!

Well, I guess it's OK then. WHOO-HOO! Santanoni is the only winter peak that I still need in that area. Let the festivities... begin!

As of 11/5/07

There was a cairn marking the start of the N.O. Path as it leaves the Bradley Pond trail. It was a small cairn that will soon be covered by snow, as it already had a sweet covering when I passed by.

"Quote: Tim, correct me it I am wrong, but:
NO!"

Tom,
The way I understand it, the trail is legal and open to the public.

"Quote: Does it begin in an open grassy area a little distance before the herd path? Does it come up onto the ridge within sight of the summit?"

Raymond,
if your standing on the summit of Santanoni and looking back towards Panther, the trail begins on the next hump in front of you. Yes it's within sight of the summit.
The lower end begins well before the grassy area I believe your talking about.

If I remember correctly:
As your walking on the blue trail along Panther Brook there's a spur into the brook that brings you onto a slab with a nice waterfall above and a long slide below. Continuing along the blue trail towards Bradley Pond, the new/old trail enters on the left maybe a couple hundred yards above this. We missed it on the way in and after coming back onto the main trail at the end there was really no visible evidence of the trail.

I didn't notice the cairn on 11/3, that's not to say it wasn't there. maybe others will reinfore the cairn as the trail becomes more popular.

Other pointers

In the past I used a bridge as a reference and an old "Posted Sign", but didn't notice the frame of the sign this time (although I was told that it is still there high in a tree looking back toward the road). The bridge I am referring to is one of those w/ stringers perpendicular to the trail and a large trunk cut in half to walk on. It is an easy path to miss since it does not leave the trail at right angles but cuts into the woods at an acute angle going up toward Bradley Pond. At my pace (whatever that was??) it was about 40mins from leaving the Club Road.

Thanks, folks. I hope the start of the trail will be more obvious by next July, or whenever we return. I suppose we could always go up by the Panther Brook path and come down by the Santanoni Trail. I may have wandered onto its upper end that one time Susan and I climbed Santanoni, back in October 2000. I found myself dropping down off the ridge on what seemed at the time to be a trail.

And here is another possible name for the trail: Trail 140. (That is the next available number, no?)

Tom Rankin said:
Dare I ask if anyone has the coordinates for the turn off ? And which col does it come out in?
That information is available on Wikipedia, ebay and Youtube in a variety of formats.
:D

The trail is indicated by arrows (on both ends) on the McMartin map. I think the junction with the Bradley Pond trail will be easy to find by next year, given all the use it is sure to get. I'll also be looking for it this winter, but will probably tag on Couch as well.

ALGonquin Bob said:
The trail is indicated by arrows (on both ends) on the McMartin map. I think the junction with the Bradley Pond trail will be easy to find by next year, given all the use it is sure to get. I'll also be looking for it this winter, but will probably tag on Couch as well.
I was given a map of the parcel acquired by OSI. I see now why we used to have to walk around Bradley Pond to get to Panther Brook. But maybe that will change as well!