Save the best for last?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasonst

Reaction score
I am in the process of finishing up the 4k list for the Whites. I decided a couple of years ago to do Carrigain last, mostly because I heard it is an amazing peak. I have been on many other amazing peaks in my quest for the 48 and can't imagine Carrigain being any better. What did you save (or are you saving) for last and why? Also, what did you think was the most rewarding peak?

I might do Cabot or Owl's Head last, but I haven't done
the Carters, and they might be the best of what I have left.

I briefly entertained the notion of saving Cannon so that family members and friends who don't hike could meet me up top. But said people didn't understand the importance of #48 and weren't interested in coming, so I'm back to my original plan of doing Moosilauke last.

I did Isolation, alone and in the rain. But for a bunch of friends who were finishing we went to Carrigain, but it snowed. I'd still choose Carrigain, great hike when the views are there. Still a great hike when they are not.

-dave-

I finished my first round on Flume on a cold, cloudy, snowy November day. It was exciting especially when you couldn’t see what was below you. My son finished on a sunny Moosilauke. I finished the winter on Zealand. No reason for any of the last ones except that’s what ended up last.

Too many rewards to pick a most rewarding.

I think there was a similar thread on this a few months back.... as a result of it, I decided to save Carrigain for last, hopefully this fall if all goes as planned.

My initial plan was to save the Bonds for last, but I really don't want to wait much longer to do them after seeing so many great pictures.

- Ivy

poison ivy said:
I think there was a similar thread on this a few months back....

Yes, this came up not too long ago, either here or at AMC. I think I decided at that time to save Moosilauke, but I've changed my mind. I don't think I'm going to save any particular peak for last. Whichever is last is last.

Steve

I did Adams as my last. A great mountain and a great hike. However, the summit was in the clouds, just a few breaks while we were on top - just enough of a tease to want to go back on a clear day to see the views.

I planned to finish on Carrigain, but the lure of an open road on 12/14 was too great, so I did it then. Garfield was my 48th, with my daughter, making it a very memorable trip. A wonderful, though cloudy day. MY pictures mostly did not come out :(. I was surprised by a friend of a friend that I had not met before who knew I'd be there.

For my 67th, I casually mentioned to Michelle that I had 17, and she had 21 left and if she got her act in gear we could finish on North Brother later that year (and did she ever! She's left me in her dust!). We surprised ourselves by finishing up in time, but were even more surprised when Carole, Richard and Chomp mentioned that they were also finishing! That was a memorable trip, and one of my most cherished peaks.

For a memorable 100th, I finished on Sandwich. I'm kind of a social person (understatement), so I mentioned it to some of my hiking friends. I am still humbled by the turnout (we took separate trails, none more than 10). We spent a wonderful 18 degree day on Sandwich summit replete with cake, pb&j bagels, champagne, and the best friends a guy could want.

Carrigain would be awesome, but believe me, it won't be the end! The walk across Signal Ridge is one of the best.

We're saving Isolation for last. We'll hopefully do it together in early August before leaving for Africa. Anne still has a few to catch up, I've really enjoyed revisiting those peaks with her.

I am saving Moosilauke for my last because on Sherpa's 100th I spent considerable time bonding with the 2 youngest ones in the group and they really thought I shoud save that one for last and they should know since they've finished their NE 100 at the ripe old ages of 8 and 11 :D A thanks to the Sikes' kids for convincing me of that one.

sli74

The 48th for my wife and I was on Bondcliff. We saved it because of what we heard about the views and to gain some experience backpacking. Our plan was to hike into Guyot for 2 nights and spend a full day exploring the Bonds. Luckily the day we headed to Bondcliff the sky's were clear, air was warm and we were able to linger on the summit for 3 hours! We even got buzzed by a couple of military jets that were on manuvers in the valley. It was a fantastic trip that I hope to repeat soon.

We now have 7 left in Maine to complete the NE 67 and I'm not sure where we will finish this summer. Perhaps Abraham.

I've got 5 left in Maine for my NE 4's. The two Crockers, Spaulding, Sugarloaf, and Abraham. I'll probably finish on Abraham as well.

-dave-

I've been thinking of this very question recently! Like Ivy i once thought i'd save the Bonds, but i can't wait that long!

I've decided that when i get down to 10 or so i'll decide then, but it will be a quieter peak and i'll do it either this fall or winter so the crowds will be gone.

Jason,

Not knowing what you have left on your list besides Carrigain, it's difficult to advise you on which 'best' alternatives I could steer you towards.

I realize I'm probably in the minority but even though Carrigain's summit view is quite nice, I view it as artificial because you are on a 20 foot high platform above the trees. Without the platform, you could be on Tecumseh. In a few years when the platform falls into disrepair, I wonder if it will be repaired. And then you really will be on a wooded summit. However, that being said, the views from the open sections of Signal Ridge are special as well. That 100 yard stretch is one of my favorite spots and I have seen some spectacular cloud formations from there. To me, that's the best point on Carrigain.

The Bonds are a special place whether you do them first or last. All are wonderful summits and you could finish on Bondcliff or West Bond, depending upon which way you come in to the area.

I finished my 48 on Owl's Head, not necessarily by choice or design. The hikes just fell together that way for me. I finished my 67 on West Bigelow; a wonderful peak on a fantastic weekend with an awesome group of people. Special memories there for me.

Dave,
Abraham is by far the best choice of what you have left. Sugarloaf is a scarred, building cluttered summit, and the other three are densely wooded.

And you can't go wrong with Moosilauke either!

Wherever you finish, have fun and remember the moments.

JohnL

I guess I could have added what I have left. Zealand, Hale and Carrigain. I know pretty much what to expect from the first two. I hope to bang out all three in a short backpacking trip. I can't wait to see what Maine has to offer.

J

I finished on Jefferson the 31st of March with light rain, not the best of views, but good company and a great feeling of accomplishment. Think I'll name my next dog "Jefferson"!! I didn't really save it - it just turned out that way. And instead of feeling a bit of letdown - which happens after you have looked forward to something for a long time, I was happy to think of continuing with my winter list in 9 short months! Carrigain is beautiful though - the Bonds I did in the rain :(