Sawteeth (#46)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazymama

Reaction score
The day had come to hike Sawteeth, my 46th peak, and was it an exquisite day: bright sun, deep blue skies, cool temperatures, and just the first hints of autumn. Early in the summer I had made this plan, to hike my 46th peak on my 46th birthday, but I had no idea whether it would work out very well…so many variables to consider: finishing the first 45, weather, illness, etc. But amazingly everything came together beautifully.

My husband, a couple of friends, and Lurkette hiked with me from the Ausable Club parking lot, down the Lake Road, to the East River Trail, with a detour to catch Rainbow Falls. The falls were spectacular given the heavy rains we had earlier in the week. We then headed up the Weld trail, which was a very pleasant hike through the forest. (We thought it might be muddy given the recent rains, but actually the trails were relatively dry, with just a few pockets of mud here and there to hop across.)

My husband and two friends are not seasoned hikers, and took it slow, but this gave me a chance to stop and look around me and savor the whole experience. During the week prior to the hike, I did a lot of reflecting about the experience of hiking the 46, and although the quest started out being about ME accomplishing something, it really evolved into an opportunity to know and love the MOUNTAINS and all the beautiful spots in between them. I now find myself wanting to explore the Adirondacks even more, and feeling a sense of duty and protection toward them.

Lurkette hiked ahead and we met up with her near the summit. She had rounded up a party of well-wishers, and I was greeted with congratulations from every direction as I stepped up on the rock. The view of Haystack, Marcy, Saddleback, Gothics was awesome, and crystal clear. Not a bit of haze or clouds to obscure the view. It was a wonderful feeling to be able to look out at the mountains that surrounded us, and to be able to recognize each of them like old friends. I was particularly mesmerized by the view of Gothics, which loomed so near. Gothics was my very first high peak, back in October 1997. I reflected on all the hiking I had done since then, what I had learned, the people, and the experiences.

We snapped some photos and enjoyed a lunch of shrimp salad, carrot cake, and an ice-cold beer. We talked with a couple of other parties who later arrived via the Scenic Trail. For one woman, this was her first high peak, and she and her friend couldn’t stop talking about how difficult the Scenic Trail was. Then another woman arrived, who was working toward her 46 with about five to go. We asked her how the Scenic Trail was, and she replied, “it wasn’t that bad.” I guess its all relative. We were committed to taking the Scenic trail down, mostly for the views, but also because I wanted to experience it (I’m a little weird that way…I took the Shorey Shortcut one day just for the experience of it).

It was slow going for my husband and friends down the steep sections of the Scenic Trail, the ladders, rock scrambles, etc. I stayed with them rather than walking ahead, as I was very honored that they chose to do this hike with me. They gave me the best birthday gift possible. The multiple dramatic lookouts toward Upper and Lower Ausable Lakes were well worth the steep route. The views of Dial, Nippletop, Colvin, Blake, Fish Hawk Cliffs, and Dix peaking up behind were lovely. We sat on the rocky outlooks, soaked up the sun and the incredible natural beauty. Down below we could see miniature rowboats gliding along the deep green waters of the Lower Ausable Lake, which looked so cool and inviting. As we gazed down, one of the people in a rowboat waved up at us, and we waved back. We finally made it off the mountain, and approached the dam at Lower Ausable Lake, only to find peak_bagr and bushwacker, standing there with Lurkette. I was so honored and excited to see them. (Peak_bagr had to work a half day, so couldn't join for the whole day). I am so indebted to all of the VFTTers who have hiked with me and encouraged me, and have truly made it possible for me to reach this goal.

We finally headed down the Lake Road for the car. I kept hoping a bear would walk across the Lake Road, as that would have been the icing on the cake...but alas, that did not happen.

We had a celebration dinner at the Ausable Inn, which was warm, cozy and candlelit, and had a toast to the 46. It was the perfect ending to a great day.

What a great way to spend your birthday! It sounds like a great day. Shrimp, carrot cake, and cold beer; you came up with some great food! I'm with you on taking different trails just to see them. It's great when you can go back a different way...at least for part of the hike.

I just noticed you're from Ogdensburg. I grew up in Waddington. My mother worked in Ogdensburg and my father worked in Massena.

Lyle- I had a wonderful time. I am begining to feel like a professional 46er celebrant ....... my past 3 hikes I have had the honor of hiking with new 46ers each time.

I do believe your shrimp salad wins the "lunch on the summit catagory". So much better than the usual PB&J. When I reach my 46th I want you to plan my menu and the weather!

Hope to hike with you again. Send me your do-over list -I still have 20+ left.......... and there is always the NPT.

Congratulations again on your 46!!!! What is the plan for your 50th birthaday...do I dare ask?

Diana

Congratulations Lyle. I wish I could have joined you, you were in my thoughts all day. I'm glad you had a wonderful time.

Lyle - Congrats on your 46th and your birthday. I was thinking about you and your hike on Sat as I watched my beloved Lehigh blow a lead and lose to Villanova in football. It sounds like you had awesome weather and an awesome day. I wish I could have been there.

Now, lets start planning for our winter 46! I beleive the winter solstice is Tuesday December 21:D

Way to go Crazy!! Cold beer, good food, friends, and an Adirondack summit. Can't go wrong. Congratulations on your achievment.

Lyle,

Welcome to the club! You have earned it. Wish I could have joined you, but sometimes work get in the way. I am sure we will be on the trails again.

Ed

Congratulations Crazymama and happy birthday!

Such a thoughtful and gracious report on your #46 ! I was the solo who caught up with your group just after Rainbow falls. Lurkette told me about your special day and about this site.

Peakster

Thanks everyone...

...I'm overwhelmed with all the responses!

hikethe115...interesting to hear you're from Waddington, lots of nice folks over there...maybe I'll see you on the trail one day.

Lurkette...it was so fun hiking with you, glad you enjoyed the food. I'm definitely interested in the NPT and may join you for some do-overs. Keep me posted!

Daxs, ADK4487--I'm already thinking about winter!

Rik, Donna, Alg, Alpine Summit, mavs00, harryk--thanks for the congrats and happy birthday wishes, wish you could have joined me!

SherpaKroto--yes, its pathetic I know, but I'm already thinking of the 115. In fact I'm going to the Whites this week for the very first time (will miss the Catskills gathering unfortunately).

Peakster--so cool that you got on the website and made contact. Thanks! (All day long I kept asking hikers that we met if they were a VFTTer...everyone said "No" and Lurkette was starting to roll her eyes everytime I started the question...and then I would have to explain myself...I was starting to feel like a walking advertisement for the site...anyway, glad to hear we "recruited" one person along the way.)

Congrats, Lyle!

I thought about you several times that day, wishing I could have hiked with you! Glad Lurkette joined you as well as Bushwacker and Peak_Bgr, they are the greatest!

How special that your husband joined in on your special day, and what a special mountain for his (first?). Could it be you have now hooked him in and you'll be helping HIM get his 46? I plan to experience the scenic trail sometime too, and I think that I will do the down route as you did. I'm a better downer than an upper, at least I FEEL better on the downs!

Congrats again, welcome to the club! And where are the pictures????????