Sawtooth #3 – ski, shoe, snow, sun and solo … with pictures

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BlackSpruce said:
Friday March 28, 2008, Gary and I Sawtooth vulturing adventure didn’t go as planned.

Sometimes the vulture gets fresh kill, sometimes it gets the crusty nuggets! But it always gets a meal! :D

If that bear had come by when I broke out lunch I may still be up there wrestling him! Nice report, and so glad I didn't run into Mr. Ursine along the summit ridge!

And Cory does get the Golden PeakGobbler of Winter 07/08 Award!
Wow, that's impressive.

Definite nomination for TRIP REPORT of the year for me. Excellent stuff.

I have only #3 & #1 left, and I'm hoping to get #1 in the next week or two. Likely solo if the conditions hold up. Neil's out there today, so I'm anxiously awaiting his word on conditions from the open backside.

I've been quietly picking of a few peaks here and there, while studiously putting off #3, cuz of all the horror stories I've heard. Yours is actually one of the first that actually made it sound "pleasant". THANKS, it encourages me.

Great CC pics to. I loved that peak, and your pic in winter (conditions) are even better than remember. I gotta admit that "false bump" (in the pic) between CC and NR, made me SHIVER at the memory.

Great report.

Last edited:
Doc McPeak said:
And Cory does get the Golden PeakGobbler of Winter 07/08 Award!
Wow, that's impressive.
Never mind the awards, you missed the awards dinner at the MotherSpruce Lodge! Our favorite. :cool: If it wasn't for the northern outpost and meals I probably wouldn't have gotten there. :) Broke enough trail to last a decade, packed enough memories to last a lifetime. Looks like I should have employed you as my scribe by the looks of the report.

Cory D

Alan,

OK, how about going to S4 from the Pine Pond trailhead soon while the piled ups are still well overed? Gary and I need volonteers to break trail and carry our packs.

Christine

signs, signs everywhere signs!!

Hey Doc McPeak - great trip report and pics!! Tons of snow in the woods still! It's been about 10 years since I've hiked in that area and it's definitely one of the best spots I've ever been in the Adirondacks.

I have to comment on the summit sign though. (note - since I'm assuming you DIDN'T post that sign, this isn't an attack on you, so please don't read it that way). Do we really need to have signs at the top of every peak?? For me, one of the best reasons for hiking out in the Sawtooth range (or any other truly trail-less area) is the feeling of solitude. Having a sign at the summit cheapens the experience I think. It's disappointing to me when people post signs, flags, or any other memorabilia in the woods.

Just my two-cents. I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death on other posts.

"Having a sign at the summit cheapens the experience"

Not in the least. The sign is very nice and much better looking than the kind of stuff that used to be placed on the summits by the climbers: Little Moose sported clothe pins, ropes and chains on Puffer, a torn scarf I forget where, colorful flagging on many, white pvc canisters, etc. Since an anymous and talented carver has installed signs on many of the "100" summits the junk is gone and the summit areas aren't trampled all over.

BlackSpruce said:
"Having a sign at the summit cheapens the experience"

Not in the least. The sign is very nice and much better looking than the kind of stuff that used to be placed on the summits by the climbers: Little Moose sported clothe pins, ropes and chains on Puffer, a torn scarf I forget where, colorful flagging on many, white pvc canisters, etc. Since an anymous and talented carver has installed signs on many of the "100" summits the junk is gone and the summit areas aren't trampled all over.
Curious, is a wooden sign considered 'natural', and/or 'conforming'?

Certainly the canisters were not natural! :D

First post! Second post!

That's a good point, but hey, you gotta start somewhere. Just because I haven't posted yet doesn't mean that I don't read VFTT regularly. And it doesn't mean that I might not have valid comments. I'm not trying to start a fight (in reference to your "jumping into the fray" comment). What I am trying to do is simply state my opinion that I'd rather not see people post ANYTHING in the woods, whether it be wood, plastic, string, metal, etc, etc.
I've even seen ribbon tied to trees stating "so and so was here on x/x/xxxx. I can sometimes see the rationale for having a sign on a summit, but this is out of control.

And when I eventually encounter these (what I consider to be) pieces of litter in the woods, I will have no problem removing them. (In fact, I know someone who already pulled down a sign at the top of #3, and it's no surprise to me that there is another one there now. And no, it wasn't me that pulled it down)

In retrospect I should have created a new post to discuss this issue, rather than create an opening for littering Doc's post about a winter bushwhack that he is obviously (and rightly) proud of. Maybe I will.

Sorry Doc, and again, great trip report on your hike to Sawtooth #3.