Sawyer River Road, Signal Ridge Trail 9/6

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverfox

Reaction score
Conditions: Sawyer River Road is in great shape....excepting the 200 yard full road washout just before the house and old logging mill. Up to 20 feet deep in spots this may take awhile. The bridge at the Signal Ridge trailhead held up fine

Signal Ridge Trail..used the bridge and avoided first crossing as water was still running pretty good. Bushwack straightforward. First few hundred yards above lower crossing show heavy scouring and some erosion. One area of undercut bank where the trail held and another 25-30 yard section where it disappeared. A reroute of some sort will be needed there ..I went high on the bank and it was open solid and doable. a couple of blownout water bars had water on the trail but nothing bad. Upper crossing looked the same as always..easy to get across stepping on rocks just below the surface. Beaver dam just above crossing blown out which made that much easier to cross than last month. That was my goal for today and turned around there. No blowdowns of any kind ..

302 bridge closed and will be for awhile...there is access from the south requiring a bit of road walk to Sawyer River Road..state DOT working hard..the damage from the flash flood is hard to describe and my meagre pics dont do it.. Nice to run into and chat with Hiker Ed and Bryan who were out on similar recon missions..

pics

http://www.flickr.com/photos/silverfox777/sets/72157627486901409/

Last edited: