scat id help, please

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
This scat was just beneath Owl's Cliff (Mt Tremount) on Saturday. It's 8" long by 1.75" diameter. It has beechnut shells and some kind of small seeds in it.

Also, does anyone know a good online source of wildlife info that shows scat of different species? I always see prints, habitat and other info, but not scat.

Thanks for any help.

Happy Trails :)

My guess is bear, based on the size and content.

This field guide is my favorite. It has scat, track and other sign information for most animals, including birds, in North America.

Three hikers are walking through the woods. One of them notices a pile of fresh ____ doo, picks it up and says, "feels like ____ doo." His buddy takes some of the ____ doo and puts it to his nose and says, "smells like ____ doo." The last one takes some from his buddy and puts it in his mouth and says,

"Tastes like ____ doo too. Good thing we didn't step in it."

Fill in the blanks

(Sorry, I couldn't resist)

Tim

Thanks, Sleeping Bear. It's now on the Christmas wish list. I also think it's bear, but I'd like to be more informed. I'd like to see pictures of all sign seen in the White Mts., not just the obvious stuff like moose poop. It seems that all the info I can find is for casual hikers who never leave the trail.

bikehikeskifish said:
Three hikers are walking through the woods. One of them notices a pile of fresh ____ doo, picks it up and says, "feels like ____ doo." His buddy takes some of the ____ doo and puts it to his nose and says, "smells like ____ doo." The last one takes some from his buddy and puts it in his mouth and says,

"Tastes like ____ doo too. Good thing we didn't step in it."

Way off topic but I can't resist as well....an oldie;

Father and son are in the woods, son sees pile of "nuggets",
Son asks dada...what's that?
Dada says...smart pills....try one.
Son picks up "nugget" eats, and replies....
Taste like *&#!.
Dada says....yup, yer' gettin' smarter already! :rolleyes:

Sorry, had to do it!

I agree, looks like bear scat.

Last edited:
Why would a bear poop in that direction? sorry

Paul Rezendes' book "Tracking and the Art of Tracking..." is in my opinion the best book for animal signs and tracks.

brianW

brianW said:
Why would a bear poop in that direction? sorry

Paul Rezendes' book "Tracking and the Art of Tracking..." is in my opinion the best book for animal signs and tracks.

brianW[/QUOTE

It is bear scat that being said . Brainn I think it pooped in that beacuse
it could . maybe it was the most disecte palce to go if bears are modes actaully they are not . At least out west they are not in more ways that one :eek:

I was going to say human who eats alot but most huamns do not eat whole beechnuts

That is NOTHING like any bear scat I've seen either, and I'm getting used to seeing it given that I worked in the woods of Jackson all summer and now work outdoors mostly at our location in Albany and at schools in Bartlett, Tamworth, Madison, etc. I suppose it could be bear, but it is very unusual in that it is very compact and "formed".

I can't recommend any guide in particular, though I do like Tracking and the Art of Seeing by Rezendes. We have plastic scat molds here at Tin Mountain that we use in educational programs (which can be bought through science catalogs) and they definitely get the attention of the kids in the schools where we work :rolleyes: .

Bear scat size, shape and composition vary a lot because their diets vary a lot. Most bear scat that I have seen doesn't look like that either, it's usually in big black piles. Black bears are the only animal I can think of that would have scat that large with that content. Additionally, when not in big lumpy piles it tends to look human, as this does.

If you're used to seeing scat in the summer and don't recognize it now it's probably because they aren't eating the same things, and the quantities are no doubt changing too. I've heard they need over 8,000 calories per day just before hibernating. That's a lot of beechnuts! :eek:

That is my thought, that bear scat will look different in different seasons due to diet variations. I often see the large black piles of "hershey kisses" that almost blend in to a single mass. Hopefully, Santa will bring the Rezendes book.

Falcon Guide "Scat & Tracks of the Northeast" is actually fairly detailed and a very portable field guide (4"x6.5"). ISBN 1-58592-105-X

I vote for Bear also. I have seen a lot of variation in their 'deposits'. The turds seem to firm-up heading into winter as the diet changes from the berry laden floppy piles of summer.

I also pay close attention to the content of the diet when ID-ing.