Seward Range

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikem'all

Reaction score
Just wondering if someone can tell me what the hike in is like to the lean-to. My plan is hike in leave sleeping bag and up the mountains we go.
Thanks

hikem'all said:
Just wondering if someone can tell me what the hike in is like to the lean-to. My plan is hike in leave sleeping bag and up the mountains we go.
Thanks

The hike in from Coreys is about as flat a trail as one could ask for in the Adirondacks. Perhaps for that reason, it is also quite muddy this year, given all of the rains we've had. In drier conditions, the trip to Blueberry LT can be made in a couple of hours or less. It's another 3/4 mile or so to the Ward Brook LT, a good spot especially if you're doing Seymour, and IMO a nicer LT. If you're doing all four of the HPs you might want to consider doing Donaldson & Emmons from Calkins Brook, and with this year's wetness, perhaps even Seward as well. All depends upon your time, determination, and what 'experience' you're looking for. There are numerous trip reports on this range. Try a search on this site, Adkhighpeaks.com, and Adkforum.com for more speficific info.

rhihn said:
If you're doing all four of the HPs you might want to consider doing Donaldson & Emmons from Calkins Brook, and with this year's wetness, perhaps even Seward as well.
I'll second that. The 'traditional' route is in bed shape. It is very muddy, erroded, a good amount of blowdown, and many sections are growing in, so it'll scratch your face and arms.

A few weeks ago, we did Seymour and Seward. Our original intention was to return via the traditional route, however, we choose the longer (longer if just doing Seward) route down Calkins Brook, just to avoid that horrible trail.

Pete_Hickey said:
I'll second that. The 'traditional' route is in bed shape. It is very muddy, erroded, a good amount of blowdown, and many sections are growing in, so it'll scratch your face and arms.

A few weeks ago, we did Seymour and Seward. Our original intention was to return via the traditional route, however, we choose the longer (longer if just doing Seward) route down Calkins Brook, just to avoid that horrible trail.

That's quite a statement from one who travels with a double sided axe!!