seymour with a dog?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
I waited to long and now the kennel is full. I have herd other people take their dogs up seymour. My dog is a 65 lb lab and has done mckensie and hopkins with me this year so she has done 2000 foot climbs. Is the steepness to much for her?

If your dog did McKenzie via the steep section, (from the south IIRC) then Seymour shouldn't be a problem. There was, however, a fair bit of piled up blowdown close to the summit when I went last December.
Important caveat: I'm not a dog owner.

My beagle made it up Seymour with no great difficulty. It gets steep and slippery near the top, but it's no problem for 4-paw drive.

Seward has more tricky spots.

We hiked Seymour with our lab in 2004.

We hiked Seymour last year with our 3 year old Lab. Max is 90lbs and loves to hike with us but had some difficulty a few times near the top of Seymour navigating through the blowdown (there's really only a few sections of it) and finding a way around some steeper spots.

Prior to this hike he never had any issues finding his own way up a tricky section, but he had to be lifted up and down a few times during this trip and that wasn't a whole lot of fun for us. For whatever reason, his webbed paws were pretty sore due to this terrain as well. Some of the peaks he had climbed with us before with no problems were Tabletop, Phelps, Street, Nye...

It's tough to judge our dog's abilities at times; he's a giant puppy and has tons of energy, but even if he didn't, he's follow us to the end of the Earth!

My Rottweiler did Seymour without a problem in 1998 from the summer lot. This past winter one of my climbing partners brought his Mastiff with us from the winter lot! One tired dog at the end of the day but no real trouble or injuries. Of course you know your dog the best.

sara and i did seymour this past memorial day weekend with our 65# lab.. she had no problem navigating the terrain....just as side note, our dog has done about 13 high peaks and at least 30 other mountains, so she is pretty well adapted to climbing..

also, the blowdown wasn't quite as bad as waht the previous responses have been. it was pretty clear going...

have fun... sara and i will give a yelp this weekend from the top of couchy and panther on saturday!!!

I hiked Seymour with my 1.5 year old Golden Retriever in June. This was his first hike in the High Peaks and he had a blast.

The approach has lots of water crossings and he went insane.

He had trouble on a couple of steep spots so I had to walk around and find an alternative route, which was easy. I was a little nervous at first, but he was fine. He wimpered a couple of times when the rocks were too steep. He also seemed to be wondering the entire hike where my wife was, she stayed back at the lean-to.

Even when we got back to the car he had a ton of energy left. He was a pleausre to hike with.

-Shayne

Seymour with dog

In 1999, I took my dog up Seymour about a month after hurricane Floyd. I remember helping him over lots of blowdown when I got sidetracked from the herd path. By now, I am sure that there is a clear way through/around/under all that (havent heard anyone complaining about it lately!) Anyway, the dog was completely fine with the steep parts; he even liked the long walk back to the trailhead. ;) He's a lab mix and weighed about 65 lbs then and was in pretty good shape because I took him on lots of hikes.
Hope this helps.