Signal Ridge to Mt. Carrigan

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sticks

Reaction score
Started out in heavy rain in southern NH. but the forecast called for clearing skies up north and they were right. Proved to be a great day up in the whites. Hit the trailhead at 730 and temp was 66* and a nice breeze.
The gnats were bad low down and I was thankful for the breeze. Trail was a little muddy and wet low down but soon got better the further up you went.
Got to the tower at 1030 and had not seen anyone on the way up....weird foe such a nice day.
Very windy at the tower. Great 360* views. Temp at summit was 62* not bad for mid August.
On the way down met with several folks and chatted for a bit, all seemed to be enjoying the great weather.
Back at the trailhead at 1:30. On my way back thru the notch I picked up a hitch hiker at the Crawford Notch General Store who just happened to be a thru hiker. He started his trek north in April and planned to be completed mid Setember. His Trail name "10 Bears". Iroincatly enough he told me he had seen "10 bears" since he started his journey. He was very greatful for the ride as he had been there for over 1/2 hour, no one was stopping for him. Best wishes on your quest.

Happy Trails
Mt. Carrigain

Reactions: yam
Sounds like you had a good day. I did that same hike on July 31st. It was about 55 degrees when I started the day at 8am and reached the summit at 1015. Like you said it was of course very windy at the summit on top of the tower. Overcast, but a high cloud ceiling, so you could see a long way away. It was so nice, I managed to kill about an hour up there. Made it back to my truck at 12:55pm. This was #27 for me on my quest to get the 48. I managed to get up to #38 done this week. Only 10 to go.

Wow, wish that I had been on Carrigain today as opposed to enduring the heat and humidity at work in eastern Massachusetts. Will try to get up a NH4 or two in next day or so, if for no other reason than the cooler temperatures!