Skiing to Hancock Loop Junction - Difficult?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisB

Reaction score
All,

Has anyone BC skied into the Hancock Loop Junction via Hancock Notch and Cedar Brook Trails?

It looks fairly flat and I was wondering...

Is it possible? How difficult is the sking? etc. etc.

Thanks,

cb

We hiked it 2 weeks ago. You should be able to ski it at least as far as the intersection of the Cedarbrook and Hancock loop trails. Up until then the climb is gradual.

Here is a profile of the hike.

profile.jpg

Chris, you can definitely ski in as far as the junction of Hancock Loop and Cedar Brook trails (UTM 19 299256E 4882324N). As Bob&Geri's nice profile shows, from there the grade approximately doubles until the Loop branch point (UTM 19 300384E 4883442N), but is still manageable. Having skied with you, I'd bet you could get to that point. If the snow is nice, you will enjoy the descent from that higher junction.

Above there, the trail is much steeper and narrow, which makes for a more challenging climb/descent. For those skiing to and from the tops, I actually reverse my standard Hancock hiking route and go S-N -- descent of N peak is worth it if it's "in".

ChrisB said:
Has anyone BC skied into the Hancock Loop Junction via Hancock Notch and Cedar Brook Trails?

Many times (up to Hancock Loop Tr).

The loop HNT, CBT, and East Branch Tr/Wilderness+Lincoln Wds Tr is a popular ski tour. (Goodman rates it moderate.)

HNT to CBT: easy. CBT to HLT has a few steep spots (I usually put skins on here and keep them on until I reach the height of land on CBT (I have done the climb on waxes)--you can change to snowshoes or walk the steep spots).

Never skied up HLT--from the topo first part to HLJ looks easy, the remainder to HLJ looks doable with skins.

Doug

I've skied in a few times and camped in the general vacinity where the Cedar Brook Trail branches off. If you stay on the Cedar Brook Trail, there is a short climb that is kind of a bitch. After you reach the height-of-land, you have about a two-three mile virtually straight downhill. Just point your skis and go. Great area for skiing.

Thanks!

Thanks all.

Sounds like a fun and not-too-difficult ski route. I think I'll give it a try tomorrow.

I Appreciate all you expertise and quick responses.

El-Bagger - Good to hear from you. What are you and the Missus up to this weekend? (Big ski group on Wildcat on Saturday. Come with us and earn a few turns - or helicopters!).

cb

ChrisB said:
El-Bagger - Good to hear from you. What are you and the Missus up to this weekend? (Big ski group on Wildcat on Saturday. Come with us and earn a few turns - or helicopters!).

Good luck tomorrow -- I'm envious of your schedule.

Love to join y'all this weekend, but I am recovering from a torn MCL suffered while skiing in Utah last week. Initial diagnosis was fully snapped ACL, so I'm glad the down-time will be much shorter. I'll be back on snow in a few weeks...

Ouch!!

El Bagger,

What a bummer! That powder must have been pretty deep.

Hope you heal well and soon. I'll send you some healing vibes from the hills this week.

One positive - This injury gives you lots of time to work our Traverse trip photos! (joke)

cb

oh yeah, photos! :eek:

Sorry to hear about your injury e.b. I'll write a cd and send them along this weekend so you have something to do while you heal. :rolleyes:

Chris, I skied the route last winter - had miserable blisters from a new pair of boots but the trail wasn't bad at all (after Tracy Horse, everything seems easy). A few trip photos are here.