Sneakers on the trail - crazy or am I old-fashioned?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel like it is easier to roll an ankle in boots because they tend to put you up higher and it is easy to roll off that platform. It is quite hard to roll your ankle barefoot because there is nothing to roll off of. So for rolling I would say lower is better. That said I have worn both and now use mostly a boot because I like having my ankles covered.

Sneakers, Boots, Nike ACG, etc., my .02

Those who could wear sneakers & trail shoes include Thru-hikers that by NH have about 1800 miles behind them. More often than not, people wearing sneakers are not hard-core hikers. Investing in another pair of $60+ specialized footwear - okay they can be worn in winter in CT in town or in Spring & fall - for an activity you may not do again does not make $en$e either.

While I won't doubt Dave, I'd guess that a twisted ankle in a plastic boot would have been much worse unless it was on too loose.

I've been a big boot wearer for years due to multiple broken ankles in other sports, my day hikers had been a Fab/leather Backpacking boot.

This year I did Waumbek in New Balance Cross Trainers & over 30 miles in TN on two hikes & Mansfield in Vasque Alpha's (out of the box new - bought in 1999). However, when on rocky terrain like the Presidentials or this past weekend on 3 or the highest 15 ADK peaks, I wore heavy leather mountaineering boots.

There is something to be said about "feeling" the trail when your feet can handle it or over shorter trips. On longer trips over rocky terrain due to my ankles, I opt for support over "feel" I have not found a boot that after 15+ miles has felt good on the bottom of my feet although the big boots help on ankles. Waumbek, TN, many CT & MA trails at least until you reach the top don't resemble the Presidentials, BSP, Abraham in ME or the ADK High Peaks

When I was at EMS we routinuely would wear the boots around the store so we would know how they felt on our feet which IMO helped recommend boots to customers. While the Nike ACG's seemed designed for narrower feet than mine, I thought they were more of a sneaker than a boot. IMO I had older (late 70's/ 1980's version) leather high top basketball shoes (Puma, Nike pre - Run DMC, Nike before MJ even though about N. Carolina) that provided more support. - not enough apparently in both are cases as my injuries came wearing those shoes, indoor soccer shoes or playing Volleyball.

People's weight, pack weight, strength & conditioning also come into play but that is another rant unto itself.

That's true, if you have really beat up ankles, than all the support you can get is welcome! However, I managed to roll my ankle in my ice hockey skates, which if you've ever worn a high end pair of skates you know that your not very likely to find a more supportive type of footwear...so it can happen with anything.

Tom Rankin said:
To me, the stretching is the most important part.

I agree completely. When I ran cross country back in high school, my worst ankle injuries resulted from inadequate stretching before the run. I'm trying out a new pair of hiking boots at the moment, and with the exception of the blisters I get trying to break them in, they're quite comfortable. They don't necessarily feel more "secure" than my trail runners, but the traction is much better, and they're waterproof.

I've thought about hiking barefoot, but the downhills would absolutely kill my feet.

As long as the trails aren't too wet or cold, it's trail runners for me. Wore 'em on the Adams via Huntington loop Saturday, so I might be one of those people you counted.

Whether I opt for runners or boots, I always carry both tape and Vetrap for emergency joint support in case of injury.

There's been several threads here over the years that debate the merits of trail runners vs. boots. Rather than rehash everything, it seems to come down to personal preference.

A couple of years ago I was out hiking and rolled an ankle, resulting in a minor fracture and a ligament rupture. I was wearing mid-weight Asolos at the time. I am convinced that the rigidity of the boot along with the high, stiff ankles contributed to the injury.

I think exercise makes a bigger difference than foot wear. Adding ankle-specific exercises to my usual routine, along with additional things to enhance proprioception, has noticeably improved my balance and stability.

OK, now I am rethinking trail runners!

I have learned a lot from this thread. When I began this topic I was convinced that I needed more rigid boots that supported my ankles better. But now I am rethinking that.

The strange thing about my injury was that I had already ascended Adams and was heading towards Franklin or a relativly flat stretch. Anyone who has hiked that region knows that the trail is almost continous rocks and boulders. When I rolled my ankle it was on the flattest stretch of the entire trail. I simply stepped into a grassy depression and my ankle rolled about 90 degrees. I don't need to tell you about how much fun the trek to Lakes of the Clouds Hut was from that point on!

I will be learning how to exercise and strengthen my ankles when I heal.

The strange thing about my injury was that I had already ascended Adams and was heading towards Franklin or a relativly flat stretch. Anyone who has hiked that region knows that the trail is almost continous rocks and boulders. When I rolled my ankle it was on the flattest stretch of the entire trail. I simply stepped into a grassy depression and my ankle rolled about 90 degrees. I don't need to tell you about how much fun the trek to Lakes of the Clouds Hut was from that point on!

I would bet that most ankle rolls occur like this. We tend to be more careful on the hard parts and then not focus as much when we get to an "easier" part of the trail.

I've been hiking in some heavy Merrell's for years, but lately I've really been rethinking the situation. They just seem so heavy and I don't feel like the extra weight is really giving me much benefit. I've never had any ankle problems and I really can't even recall any times where I thought "wow, I'm glad I have these heavy boots".

Boots rule in Prezzies

I use heavy full grain boots exclusively, but then again I nearly hike the Prezzies exclusively as well via overland rock routes.
On the lower portions I might be more "comfortable" wearing a light trail shoe, but in the high talus fields, with all that sharp jagged rock, boots are the only way to go.
Low cuts = "cuts" sooner or later.
Light leather boots get shredded after a few good seasons.

Many have mentioned about feeling the trail, but how can you justify serious rock hoping with a flexible shoe?
I guess some people just "tip-toe" around the rocks like I see being practiced.
I like to lunge with full tread contact.

To each his/her own.

I draw the line when I see idiots wearing Teva sandels above 5000 ft.

So, outside the jagged Presidentials, use whatever works.

Jeff

wear what you want I guess - but most people I see who are wearing the sneaks do appear to be probably less skilled than most. but thats ok - don't think its a really a problem on the popular trails on a good day as they have decent footing.

I did see a dude (teenager obviously impressing a lady freind) a few years back doing huntington ravine trail in barefeet. thought that was a bit dumb - but thats just me.

Just heard a story yesterday that someone saw a women at thunderstorm junction a few years back IN HIGH HEELS. and her legs were not doing good.

for the record I tend to wear pretty beefy boots either montrail morraines or merrell grand traverse -

or if feeling retro in an 80's mood - I will throw on the moon boots and dance to you spin me right round baby right round like a record baby right round round round.

Last edited:
I once saw a woman in regular street clothes hiking in Espadrilles (sp?), those fashionista shoes of the preppy crowd. I have a feeling she was out on a date with the guy with her, and she had no clue what she was in for (this was on the Liberty Spring Trail). She did not look happy at all.

I wouldn't necessarily call those hiking in sandals 'idiots'. You have to take in the full package. I caught up with a guy on Crawford path last year between Eisenhower and Pierce and he was wearing Keen Newports. My initial impression was that he was someone in over his head. Turns out he's been hiking the Whites for about 20 years and in his pack carried all the requisite gear. Plus, if caught in a freak storm, what would dry more quickly big leather boots, or synthetic lightweight sandals (provided you weren't wearing a gaiter and the water got in your boots, and if you were wearing a gaiter, what would be cooler to your feet?)? I know another person who did the entire PCT in trail runners. Yes the talus fields of the Northern Presies can cause scratches, but if you can do a thru hike that long over that kind of terrain, than I think they know what their doing. As long as you have the appropriate gear, and your shoes work for you, I think you're alright. It's the folks that you see above treeline with no gear, jeans, carrying a poland springs bottle as their only means to hydration and are typically wearing sneakers...those are the sneaker wearers that cause concern.

Last edited:
Brownie said:

Jeff

I have had no trouble in the Presidentials wearing trail runners. Can't tip toe around those rocks!

I generally use a full leather Gore-Tex Asolo backpacking boot for everything. In fact, I only use my trail runners for smooth dry trails on short hikes. Having had a chivalrous-act induced sprained ankle in the past, I like the ankle support my leathers give me. I have found that support has saved me from fully rolling my ankle numerous times. I have felt my ankle starting to roll but have been able to right the situation before causing any damage.

As far as issues with wetness, I don't have them. I treat my boots with mink oil (try doing that to trail runners) and that, combined with the Gore-Tex, has helped me cross streams where I have been stepping on submerged rocks and had water flowing over the tops of my boots without my feet getting the slightest bit wet.

Also, only while backpacking for a week with a 45lb load have I gotten blisters, never any bruises, and my feet don't tire in them. When I take a look at the scars on my boots that the rocky have given me, I shudder to think what might have happened had I been wearing Tevas!

That being said, I will use my trail runners for smooth dry trails on short hikes. To each his (or her) own.

Brownie said:
I use heavy full grain boots exclusively, but then again I nearly hike the Prezzies exclusively as well via overland rock routes.
On the lower portions I might be more "comfortable" wearing a light trail shoe, but in the high talus fields, with all that sharp jagged rock, boots are the only way to go.
Low cuts = "cuts" sooner or later.
Light leather boots get shredded after a few good seasons.

Many have mentioned about feeling the trail, but how can you justify serious rock hoping with a flexible shoe?
I guess some people just "tip-toe" around the rocks like I see being practiced.
I like to lunge with full tread contact.

To each his/her own.

I draw the line when I see idiots wearing Teva sandels above 5000 ft.

Jeff

You just have to a little more nimble to wear the trail shoes. ;)

I think it really just boils down to what you're more comfortable with... I've hiked in regular boots, trail runners and even Tevas and found that boots just work better for me. Not so much for the ankle support but because I manage to kick dirt in lower cut shoes and don't like wearing gaitors.

While in New Zealand, I actually backpacked in my Tevas because we were crossing a bunch of tidal bays in the pouring rain so I just decided not to change back into my boots. I had no problems though I'll admit the terrain was fairly smooth.

In the Whites, I've found my trail runners (and perhaps it's just the brand I have...) aren't grippy enough so I end up slipping and falling more often. However, I wore trail runners on a fairly flat hike in California recently and found they worked great... they dried out so quickly compared with the boots I normally wear.

To sum up, to each his own... except maybe leave the espadrilles at home!

-Ivy

AMSTony and I saw a guy halfway up Old Speck while we were on the way down. Both of us were clad in wick-type shirts, hiking boots, packs, etc. This guy was wearing a nice polo shirt, dress shorts, white socks almost up to his knees, and loafers! He carried only a small Aquafina bottle. Neither one of us was quite sure what to make of it, the guy hadn't even broken a sweat.

SteveHiker said:
AMSTony and I saw a guy halfway up Old Speck while we were on the way down. Both of us were clad in wick-type shirts, hiking boots, packs, etc. This guy was wearing a nice polo shirt, dress shorts, white socks almost up to his knees, and loafers! He carried only a small Aquafina bottle. Neither one of us was quite sure what to make of it, the guy hadn't even broken a sweat.

Steve: That sounds like the same guy SherpaK and I ran into on our Owl's Head hike. Exact same get-up and the only thing he was carrying was water. We spotted him on the way to the summit, and then on the way back down, and he was no worse for the wear. He told us that as long as he got his coffee in the morning, he was fine. Given how he looked, we couldn't dispute that.

I guess, just like with footwear, it's all what you're used to and what your body can tolerate.

I would love to find a big pair of heavy boots that would provide me with protection, ankle support and waterproofness. Alas, for me heavy boots = heel blisters time and again.

Fed up with blisters, I've hiked more and more in trail runners or approach shoes, including in the Whites and with heavy pack. What I've found is that the approach shoes especially give me a really good grip and feel over all types of weird surfaces and provide more foot support with a heavy pack than I thought possible. I find my feet are less tired than they have been when wearing heavy boots. AND NO BLISTERS!

I broke my ankle pretty badly in 2001 in a biking accident. Took a long time rehabing to get strength and flexibility back. But with all the exercises and stretching, my feet and ankles were actually better than before--no more plantar faciitis, for example. In the past year, I've been rock climbing a lot, which has been the best thing for strength and balance.

I'm not saying this approach is right for everyone and I'm still looking for a great pair of heavy boots that fit. Until then, for better or worse, my motto is "weak shoes, strong feet."

I'm a leather boot kind of girl. I like the study feeling and my ankles do appreciate it, plus they are way sexier than sneakers and they give a cool hiker tan line. :p