Spring Snow Cover Reports

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last Saturday, April 27, Mt. Willard Trail starts getting ice and snow, loose packed granular, about 1/2 mile in, before Centennial Pool. The first crossing can be made even by small children. Everything is melting very fast. Most of our group put on microspikes but there were lots of folks hiking without microspikes. Lots of folks on the open ledges.

Did Liberty with my summer boots.Above the left hand turn you hit somesnow and it increases as you climb. but its hard packed, mono rail type snow. I used spikes to avoid any slips, my dog Buddy barebooted with no issues, although you could say he always has his spikes on. The spring is exposed, but its in a deep hole and I could not get to it.

Champney Falls Trail is still ice and snow, loose packed granular. Everything is melting very fast, lots of mud as well. Lots of folks, foolishly, hiking without microspikes. Lots of trail erosion potential if the traffic keeps up. Lots of folks on the mountain

And on the other side, on the Hammond Trail, there was snow from about Bald Mountain on up. Sometimes very spotty. Othertimes deep and for those not careful postholing will be a nasty surprise. Two significant sections of ice below the summit between the Brook Trail Cairn.

Valley Way is still (4/28) thick monorail on the upper half, until you reach the lawn by the hut. Pretty firm, but softened up in the afternoon. Many of the water crossing are gone or collapsing underfoot. Spikes needed on both ascent and descent. Managed to punch several postholes into seemingly solid monorail where meltwater had hollowed it out.

4/29 In Gorham the woods have dried out quickly. The "seven" in Kings ravine is starting to appear but there are plenty of other snowfields in the ravine.

Generally once the "seven" is well deliniated and is the only remaining significant snow field in Kings Ravine it indicates that the trails on the north slope of the Northern Presis do nto require traction.

What does everyone think about a North to South A.T. traverse of Moosilauke this coming weekend? Do you expect microspikes would suffice for the climb up along Beaver Brook? It being north-facing and steep, plus well-shaded, doubtless it will still have plenty of snow, I figure above 3250'. How close to the top of the falls is that?

I'm thinking about a two-car trip across Moosilauke if I can find a partner with a car. May end up doing another mountain, but I'd really love to do this trip this time of year if it's realistic to try with only spikes (and maybe snowshoes on the back for the snowy parts above 4000'). Will be nice to take in the waterfalls,

still some wet, nasty, slushy snow above 3000. Hiked the Southern Presi's and microspikes are still a good thing to have. Crawford Path is a slushy monorail with mid thigh deep snow off of the monorail. Lots of rushing water and the snowbridges are giving way. Be ready to get wet

Gorge brook on the Moose is very doable with spikes only, I barebooted to summit and spiked down, my winter boots have been in the closet for 2 weeks.