Storing self-inflating mattresses

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carole

Reaction score
Is it best to store them open or rolled in their stuff sack?

carole said:

I have always heard that its best to store them open. Ours hang on a line in the basement, along with our bags.

What is the best way to store my mattress when it is not being used?Store your mattress unrolled and with the valve open. Because the mattress foam tends to “remember” the shape it holds most, your mattress will self-inflate faster if stored unrolled. Also, store your mattress dry. It will dry quickly with exposure to the air. If a mattress is left damp, mildew may damage the cover’s air-holding urethane. Many people store their pads under a bed or behind a door.

Can I blow into a mattress if I am sleeping on snow?
Yes. Doing so will increase the loft of the pad as well as its warmth.

What about moisture buildup in the mattress when I blow into it?If you let your mattress self-inflate for a while and then add only a few puffs of air, you don’t have to worry about moisture buildup. Even in winter, freezing of moisture in the pad isn’t an issue unless you are doing this daily for months at a time.

mine has been stored unrolled, open valve, under the bed from day one. it's a few years old and I have yet to have a problem. A friend stores his rolled up tight with the valve closed.....his pads have always delaminated. This might be an issue from the manufacturer as thay have been the same make and model. The delamination has not been an issue holding air, just a little lumpy to sleep on, the surface almost looks blistered.

carole said:
Similar to your sleeping bag, if you store them rolled or stuffed, over time you will lose loft and padding/insulation value. I store my mattress pads flat and fully inflated with valves open, stacked on a piece of plywood hanging up near the ceiling in my basement. My sleeping bags go puffed up each into their own large cotton (breathable) bag, also hung up from the basement ceiling. My basement is dry, do not try this in a damp musty atmosphere. The only time either of them gets rolled or compressed is when I pack them the night before a trip.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I, too, was of the opinion to store them open but someone disagreed and said it didn't matter. Nice to be right ;)

I actually store mine vertically resting on the floor, against the wall. Inflated, with the valve closed, so it can stand up :D . My oldest is about 15 years old or so but it still works great. Even with its fixed knife wound. :eek: :eek:

Keith