stuck inside of Windsor, CT

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardrain

Reaction score
:confused:I will be in Windsor/Hartford CT for several weeks this fall and wonder whether there are any good hikes in the area?

Absolutely. The Metacomet Trail passes just west of Windsor and Hartford - Granby/Simsbury/Farmington - a beautiful trail along the top of a big traprock ridge that runs N-S for many miles. Some Googling would probably produce info on that.

If you can make the drive to the northwestern corner of Connecticut (really not too too far from Hartford), you will not be let down. There are some really neat trails and peaks there and just over the border in MA (and apparently in NY there as well, but I haven't been to those yet).

Bear Mountain, Round Mountain, and Mt. Frissell are all close to each other. Mt. Race and Mt. Everett aren't too far away either. Nice views, neat trails, some scrambling in places, neat waterfalls, and significant vertical if you want too!

The Farington River runs through several towns, including Windsor & has fishing, tubiung & sections of trail along it's banks in a couple of towns & along an old canal also.

The stretch of AT & the South Taconic area Rocket mentions provides some of the best view south of Moosilauke. The Section along Race is suburb. The summit of Brace on the South Taconic Trail in NY on the same plateau (Riga Plateau) is just as good.

Mclean Game Refuge is also in nearby Granby & has trails also.

I'm interested in 'after work' type hikes for the most part, though there might be some time on the weekends.
thanks for the info everyone, this is exactly what I was hoping for.

The Farington River runs through several towns, including Windsor & has fishing, tubiung & sections of trail along it's banks in a couple of towns & along an old canal also.

If it's after work type stuff, paddling and fishing in the immediate Windsor area is a great idea.

Another option (perhaps for a weekend jaunt) is Macedonia State Park in Kent, on the western border of CT.. It has a nice network of trails, and you can also tie into the AT, check out St. Johns Cliffs... good stuff... also, not necessarily a 'hike', but there's a stretch of the AT along the Housatonic River that is nice...