suggestions for a NH hike and gear for a beginner

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crystaljc

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have been going to the White Mountain area since I was a child with my mother because my Grandfather lives in Bethlehem. About 10 years ago I started going up on my own every year basicaly to just view the foliage. I love the fall and the mountains. I have done a few small little hikes into see several waterfalls and have gone through the flume. Nothing big at all. I plan to change that starting this year. I am already booked for my annual fall foliage viewing stay (Oct. 1st) and I want to incorporate a couple of small easy beginner type hikes to start me out. So I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for me. Also, as far as gear or equipment goes as of right now I have nothing. When I do hike AROUND HERE I just go in gym type of clothing and I have a small backpack that I fill with a compass, a ligther/matches, a plastic garbage bag, napkins, a small pocket knife and water and granola bars. But considering it is the White Mountains in Oct. is there anything else I should know to do or bring or wear that won't break my wallet?

Thanks,

Crystal,

Add a map to go with your compass. You might also want a light rain jacket and rain pants. They don't need to be gore-tex. You may sweat and get wet on the inside, but at least you will still be warm. Stay away from cotton clothes. They won't dry and you will get hypothermic when you get cold and wet. A decent pair of hiking boots with wool socks to keep your feet comfortable helps you enjoy the miles. I like smartwool socks with a polypro liner. You can also throw a small loud whistle in your pack so that you can call for help if you need it. Start easy and get on out there. A couple of nice easy hikes with great views are Mount Avalon and Mount Willard in Crawford Notch. Closer to home, there are some nice hikes around Mount Wachusett and Mount Monadnock. Check out the Mid-State trail. It goes through Massachusetts from NH to RI including parts of the Douglas State Forest.
Have fun!

short easy beginner hikes in the whites

some favorites for short & easy half-to-full-day hikes in the whites...

Mt. Willard
3.2 miles round trip, access via US 302 @ AMC Highland Center.
outstanding views for the effort required
Mt. Osceola
6.4 miles round trip, access via Mt. Osceola Trail on Tripoli Rd north of Waterville Valley
one of the easier "4000-footers"; great view and lunch spot at summit
Welch & Dickey
4.4 mile loop; access via roads off NH 49 heading towards Waterville Valley (follow signs).
outstanding views for the effort required
Mt. Chocorua
7.6 miles round trip; access via Champney Falls trailhead on NH 112 (Kang)
feels like a really big mountain, views along trail and at summit
Bridal Veil Falls
5.0 miles round trip; access via Coppermine Trail off NH 116.
one of the most dramatic waterfalls in the state
Mt. Kearsarge North
6.2 miles round trip; access via Mt. Kearsarge North Trail off NH 16.
awesome views of the Presidential Range, including Mt. Washington

ENJOY!!!

Thanks again for all your help. I have to say I am loving this site. And I am looking forward to my trip to the mountains more than ever! One more question what material should I be wearing for a hiking pant?

Thanks,

crystaljc said:
One more question what material should I be wearing for a hiking pant?

Thanks,

The choice of material sort of depends on the weather.

I'd go to a local gear shop and try some on. Mention that you want something light weight and breathable, and what season you will want them for. Also, consider pants where parts of the legs zip off, giving you 2 pants for the price of one. Personally, I like pants that have lots of pockets. It helps distribute the weight a little, and makes for a convenient place to keep snacks, water bottles (yes, I can fit a Nalgene bottle in my pants pockets!), maps, etc.

I don't remember if the previous posters mentioned it, but you should be prepared for cold weather whenever you go hiking. A fleece or jacket is a good idea. I usually bring a hat and gloves, all year long. The summits can be very windy and cold, even on a nice warm sunny day!

crystaljc said:
One more question what material should I be wearing for a hiking pant?

If you're going to invest in pants, I'd highly recommend something with a little lyrca. Having a bit of stretch just makes them more comfortable. If you do find a good pair of breathable, wind/rain resistant pants with a littl lycra, would you let me know? LL Bean stopped making the Uber-Guide pants I've just about worn out the seat of. Bummer! I'll be needing a replacement soon.

As an alternative, if you're going to go for rain pants, you could hike in a pair of power-stretch pants:
http://www.rei.com/product/14176871.htm?
These were recommended to me by someone here last year. I've nearly worn them out already! Very comfy and warm. Much better than hiking in jeans or some of the so-called cotton hiking pants out there.

Suggested beginner hikes

A beginner type hike I did last year that was really enjoyable and would be real nice for viewing foliage is the Frankenstein Cliffs/ Arethusa Falls loop (4.7 mi loop) which is off of route 302.

Also, if the weather is particulary good, the Welch Dickey loop is really nice --but there are alot of exposed areas so if it is raining or may get really cold or windy you might want to skip it (4.4 mi loop)

Enjoy!

Sandwich Dome via Drake's brook trail is a relatively easy hike. I was there last fall when the leaves were near peak.

Or, hike up to Lonesome Lake and take the around-the-lake trail.

or, any of the other ones already mentioned.

In addition to those mentioned, consdier So. Moat off of Passaconoway road. Short Hike with nice views North to Mt.Washington. Also Mt. Major and/or Percival-Morgan Loop- both offer wonderful views of Lake Winnepesauke and northern mts. to the north. A little more difficult but with really nice views is Mt. Crawford. Good luck and have fun! :)

Crystal,
I would also second (or is it thirds) Welch-Dickie. Very nice views! If you have done Monadnock (or even Wachusett) Welch-Dickie should not be that bad at all. -brianW

Speaking of Mt. Wachusett, does anyone here ever do Mt. Wachusett or is that too wimpy of a mountain in comparison to the big ones in NH that you are all use to doing.

Other great hikes closer to home are Monadnock, North and/or South Pack Monadnock, Watatic, Gap Mtn., Skatutakee, Cardigan, and Kearsarge. I climb these more often than the 4K's as many times I can only manage 5-6 hours on a weekend day. As for big mountains here's a group trip up a really small mtn . Uncanoonuc group trip. It's located outside of Manchester NH, not sure I can make it but it would be a good chance to meet some people who post here, on a fairly short and easier hike.

Last edited:
I'll second Welch/Dickey. Also some nice trails off the Kanc, for beginners I'd suggest the Sabbaday Falls trail, short but very sweet. The Boulder Loop trail is another good one that you can easily finish in about 2 hours and that's taking your time.

As for equipment, I think you've already gotten some good suggestions but I'll add to that a GPS. You won't really need it for the trails I mentioned but these trails would provide you a good opportunity to learn how to use a GPS which you may very well want to use on longer trails. Just don't forsake a compass for the GPS but it's still a very nice tool to have.
Enjoy your hiking!

:)

Hi Crystal,
I am by no means an expert. I have hike somwhat in the Whites, and closer to home, Mt. Greylock in Adams, MA.
A useful accessory would be a pair of adjustable length hiking poles. They can be a knee saver on a long downhill as well as helpful in going uphill, and they help keep your balance.
Some doable White Mtn. hikes that I have done are the Greeley Ponds and East Pond trails located on the Kanc. Also on the Kanc, at the Lincoln Woods parking area the trail along the Pemi River is flat and takes you into the Pemigiwassett wilderness. I have branched off of it to the Black Pond trail. When I got to Black Pond, I heard noise in the woods across a small cove, and a huge moose came out of the woods and walked into the water. It was a memorable experience.
I have been to Zealand Falls too. This is a pretty easy hike off of rte. 302. It takes you to the AMC's Zealand Falls hut. I think it is about a five mile round trip.
My biggest one was my hike up Mt. Lafayette in Franconia Notch. This was for me the most special because it was my farthest. I'm sure their are many members here who have done much more than me. Take their advice too.

I'm not that far from Mt. Wachusett. I would like to do that sometime too.
Take care, Eric

Last edited:
Crystal, try Arethusa Falls off 302 near Crawford Notch, or for some great views with a short walk check out Pine Mountain, northeast of Mt. Washington. These are very easy and still fun with wonderful things to look at. The falls are about 200 feet high. (no, you don't have to climb them!)

high altitude gear

Crystal,
First of all welcome, your in good company. As you might know the tops of some of the peaks in the Whites can be beautiful in one minute and nasty the next. I take with me to brave the weather a EMS Black 200 weight vest, Wool Cap, Wool Sweater, Rain Coat- you might hear the word shell which is the same word, Mtn. Hardwear windstoper- This will keep your head warm, and Gloves or mittens
For literature I reconmmend Karen Berger's HIKING AND BACKAPCKING. This book will give the basics of the outdoors and an appendix of camping companies. You should also check out your local camping stores and try on stuff and browse around. If you have any questions on anything don't hesistate to post.

As for equipment, I think you've already gotten some good suggestions but I'll add to that a GPS. You won't really need it for the trails I mentioned but these trails would provide you a good opportunity to learn how to use a GPS which you may very well want to use on longer trails. Just don't forsake a compass for the GPS but it's still a very nice tool to have.

This has been something I have been wanting to get into. Getting a GPS, learning how to use one and having some fun with it on hikes. Being a newbie in respect to GPS's, any recommendations where to start and how much $$ to throw on a good starter one? Or even books about GPS info?

As for good beginner hikes, it looks like all the good ones have been mentioned that I'll also stand behind in Willard, Osceola, Welch/Dickey, Arethusa Falls/Frankenstein, Zealand Falls, Monadnock, Chocorua, etc... ...Since I just did the Carter Dome and Notch loop, I'll even say just going out and back to Mt Hight is a decent beginner hike. It's basically like 8 miles round trip, 4 miles up and 4 back, but that Nineteen Mile Brook Tr to the Carter Dome Tr is a easy 2 miles and the Carter Dome Tr to Zeta Pass was pretty easy as well. Just the last .4 up Carter-Moriah Tr is relatively steep, but for the reward atop Hight, it is WELL WORTH IT!!! And going back down those trails is not bad at all. Similar to the energy you'd have to use for Chocorua.