suggestions for a NH hike and gear for a beginner

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
crystaljc said:
Speaking of Mt. Wachusett, does anyone here ever do Mt. Wachusett or is that too wimpy of a mountain in comparison to the big ones in NH that you are all use to doing.

I cannot speak for others but to me hiking is more a form of escape of the modern world and enjoying nature. I hike close to home weekly at least. Let it be heading up Gap for a quick hike or spending 2-3hrs playing around on Monadnock. I wish I had more time to play in the larger mountains but the 3hr drive each way does not fun.

I try to do Wachusett a few times a year because it is a fun place.

shamples said:
This has been something I have been wanting to get into. Getting a GPS, learning how to use one and having some fun with it on hikes. Being a newbie in respect to GPS's, any recommendations where to start and how much $$ to throw on a good starter one? Or even books about GPS info?
I'm not sure I would recommend that a beginner rush out and buy a GPS. Expensive and not needed for hiking adequately marked trails. One should also learn compass and map skills whether or not one carries a GPS.

Lots of info at http://www.gpsinformation.net

Doug

begnner hiking in the Whites

can be a little intimidating if you are not prepared to "climb". However, Bridal Veil Falls and Mt Willard get my vote for least difficult. Welch Dickey is a most incredible view, but don't attempt it on a rainy day. The ledge can be tricky. Have fun, hike safe girl. I live in Lincoln, NH, so if you want company, let me know. ;)

DougPaul said:
I'm not sure I would recommend that a beginner rush out and buy a GPS. Expensive and not needed for hiking adequately marked trails. One should also learn compass and map skills whether or not one carries a GPS.

I agree whole-heartedly!! The original poster is asking for advice on beginner hikes and basics on what to wear and what to bring. IME, things like a GPS only make sense for more advanced hikers who may get off trail.

Crystal, I triple the suggest for the Welsh-Dickey loop if you want to get some views. A nice flat alternative near Lincoln is a walk to Franconia Brook falls along the Lincoln Woods Trail. No views but lovely falls as a treat.

As for clothing in the beginning of October, I would suggest the following...
1) If you buy one piece of clothing, get a mid-weight Capilene zip T-neck from Patagonia (or Bergelene from EMS). Wear a fast drying bra underneath it but do not wear any cotton shirts under (or over) the Capilene. In general, you want to ditch all cotton but it is most important to get rid of it at you body core.

2) The second piece of clothing is synthetic socks. No cotton. Cheap sport socks from WalMart will work OK to get you started. Thin liner socks under them is even better to help ward off blisters. Be sure to try new sock/shoe combos before a big hike!

3) Other clothing can found around the house or borrowed. They include a windbreaker, a thick wool or fleece sweater, a wool hat, mittens or gloves. Cheap nylon sweatpants, old wool dress pants or cotton/poly work pants (like Dickies) work ok for pants. Avoid jeans and cotton sweat pants.

4) Do a search on the 10 Essentials. After that, get the Complete Walker IV and put it on your night stand. Everybody should have a copy of that book!

NOTE: This advice assumes that you stay off the high peaks of the White. Going above treeline in October is not a place for somebody starting out. It can turn downright wintery up there that time of year, including white outs. Welsh-Dickey is by far a better place to enjoy the views that time of year.

Agree with Dave.

dave.m said:
2) The second piece of clothing is synthetic socks. No cotton. Cheap sport socks from WalMart will work OK to get you started. Thin liner socks under them is even better to help ward off blisters. Be sure to try new sock/shoe combos before a big hike!

I would like to add that wool is also very good for hiking socks. Many prefer it to synthetic. (Individual preference item.)

Doug

I'd say that DougPaul is definetly the GPS expert on this board. In fact when I first got mine I posted for some info and he gave me a ton of it. No, a GPS is not required for beginning trails but my point is that it is a piece of technology of the present and the future. If one is going to get heavily into hiking then it might be more benficial to learn how to use a GPS on a shorter trail then to learn by trial and error on a longer and maybe not as well marked trail.

I love GPSing and have found it to be a fun hobby which can only improve my hiking. Again, map reading and compass skills should not be foresaken but still, knowing how to use a GPS is beneficial.

As for what books to use for a GPS, I'd recommend just using the users manual that comes with your GPS. Garmin puts out a good GPS and a good manual as well.

Enjoy.

:)

First your ten essentials, then Pack monadnock, Cardigan or Monadnock and then Chocorua.

Okay, now I have more questions. What are the 10 essentials and what do you mean do a search on them? Also, most everyone says no cotton so I got that loud and clear. What about polyester is that a bad material too? The other question I have is what about a backpack. Right now I just use a regular backpack (like a school backpack) I have heard that aluminum framed ones are supposed to be the best is this accurate. I want to be able to enjoy the experience of hiking and the being in the outdoors without worrying so much about do I or don't I have the right or best equiptment. I mean isn't a backpack a backpack as long as it fits everything you need and it doesn't kill your back. Also, they are so expensive.

Thanks everyone!

The 10 Essentials are here:

http://gorp.away.com/gorp/activity/hiking/skills/teness.htm

Basically considered the minimum gear you should always have.

Poly isn't a "bad" thing. Most of the best wicking fabrics are synthetics. A decent wicking T-shirt base layer isn't going to set you back much. You can even get one at Walmart these days. As well as a fleece jacket. The idea is to get the perspiration off your skin and have the fabric dry quickly. The first time you break a good sweat climbing then stop in a cool wind to enjoy the view, you'll appreciate the concept.

As for a pack, I wouldn't suggest running out and buying a new pack. What you have is probably fine for short hikes - say couple of hours without a lot of weight in it. The downside if it's a bookbag type without a hip belt is that it's going to bounce a little and all the weight will be on your shoulders. Not a huge deal, but it will start getting on your nerves after a while. When I started hiking again, I went out with a glorified camera bag pack. It worked fine for the first year doing things like Welch-Dickey. It wasn't until I started venturing further that I wanted another pack.

Get to know what you want to carry with you, then bring all your gear to a good gear store. Make sure everything you have fits well, rides well, and that the pack is comfortable. Then make the investment.

crystaljc said:
What are the 10 essentials and what do you mean do a search on them?

Google is a great way to search for things like this...
http://tinyurl.com/8zkjp

crystaljc said:
The other question I have is what about a backpack. Right now I just use a regular backpack (like a school backpack) I have heard that aluminum framed ones are supposed to be the best is this accurate. I want to be able to enjoy the experience of hiking and the being in the outdoors without worrying so much about do I or don't I have the right or best equiptment. I mean isn't a backpack a backpack as long as it fits everything you need and it doesn't kill your back. Also, they are so expensive.

My advice is to buy as little as possible. The sport is chaulk full of "buy-ism" and "stuff-ism". Mostly what stuff does is add weight, cost money, distract you from the real experience and worse, lull you into a sense of saftey ('cause you have the right stuff) and divert your attention away from seeking knowledge.

Forums like this are a fantastic resource. You will get even more out the conversation with experience hikers here if you supplement it with doing some reading on the side.

IMO, by far the wisest investment you can make is to purchase the book "The Complete Walker, IV" by Colin Fletcher. You can often find older versions of this great book your local library. Other great books are by Chris Townsend and Harvey Manning. My suggestion is to read these books cover to cover. This will fill your head with a tons of information. Then you can sort out the bits better in talking with folks.

Crystal, you've wandered into a great, great sport. Remember, its not the stuff that makes a hiker. Its being out there that counts!!

crystaljc said:
Okay, now I have more questions. What are the 10 essentials and what do you mean do a search on them? Also, most everyone says no cotton so I got that loud and clear. What about polyester is that a bad material too? The other question I have is what about a backpack. Right now I just use a regular backpack (like a school backpack) I have heard that aluminum framed ones are supposed to be the best is this accurate. I want to be able to enjoy the experience of hiking and the being in the outdoors without worrying so much about do I or don't I have the right or best equiptment. I mean isn't a backpack a backpack as long as it fits everything you need and it doesn't kill your back. Also, they are so expensive.

Thanks everyone!
Crystal, If you ask about 10 essentials, you will get all kinds of answers but that is ok. You will get a lot of good ideas and advice. Perhaps the best thing you can do is take hikes with more experinced people who are willing to take it slow and answer your questions as well as knowing a nice easy place to hike.
As you gain experince and more confidnce , you will find your self doing more and wanting to go to differnt places . VFFT is a good place top both get advice ask questiions and meet hiking partners.
Eventaully I might post about a hike in late september at a very moderate pace . I have been recovering from some serious injuries and am not going to be going to fast or far at frist . I am experinced. I can tell you about my hiking and climbing off list. I am not really into posting my "climbing Resume" on the forum.

There is alot of good advice on this site as well as a lot of good poeple
Do not be afraid to ask anmd end a PM to soem one or even meet some one for a hike .
You can even post here that you want ot go for a hke and learn more . you will have alot of folks willing to help lend you gear help you buy gear and a lot more . So ask away .

crystaljc said:

Thanks everyone!

Yeah, I'd stay away from cotton, even though thats what I wore while growing up hiking in. It's not the worst thing, but I'd suggest sythetic fleece, poly pro & cool max as good starter materials. You would be surprised as to how much of this stuff you can find at nonhiking specific stores. I'd look into having some sort of shell, but not nessesarily Gore-Tex. My suggestion for a back is a solid day/lite overnight bag, the Kelty Red Wing 3500.

As RGF1 stated, a true 10 essentials is a very debatable subject. While hiking, check out what others have for gear. You'll be shocked at both how over prepared some are and how under prepared some are.