Suggestions for Final 4000 footer

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sp1936 said:
I'm saving Carrigain for last. This is a popular one to finish on.

Ditto. Just 6 left, and I'll finish on July 16th (along with Pennsy). I agree with most of the others in that a peak that's notorious for good views makes it better for obvious reasons. The mountains should also be able to accomodate whoever is coming along with you, since it seems pretty common to bring along several friends and family for the last one. That's the main reason why I ruled out my first choice, Adams, for my last.

Best of luck and enjoy the journey! :D

Last edited:
Gator,

I'm about where you are (I have 17 peaks left) and recently I did Washington/Monroe. While I was on the summit of Washington I thought, damn, I should have saved this for my 48th! The Rockpile is like no other place.

thanks,
denton fabrics

dentonfabrics said:
I'm about where you are (I have 17 peaks left) and recently I did Washington/Monroe. While I was on the summit of Washington I thought, damn, I should have saved this for my 48th! The Rockpile is like no other place.
Some people prefer Jefferson or Adams over Washinton. Both are spectacular, remote (by WMNF standards), rocky, well above-timberline peaks. No road, no cog railway. However, you are not likely to be alone on a nice day, but at least there will be room to sit down.

I finished by default on Isolation--solo, Ammo Ravine Tr to Boot Spur and Davis Path. (Great peak.) Took 30yrs to do all 48 because I wasn't chasing the list. Washington was my first (typical stupid beginner story).

Doug

I was thinking about Garfield for my last one.
I have 38 to go so I have a bunch of options but unfortunetly (not really) I have already done all of the northern presidential, the moose, libert and flume...........but from reading/looking at maps garfield seems like a good one.
North twin as well.

I'd rcommend Garfield as the choice for #48. I finished up on the Tripyramids, which was fun to do. Hale, as was said earlier is kind of anti-climactic, although you can do the loop and go to Zealand Hut. Moriah was well, Moriah, I didn't care for the long slog out from Gorham and better views are available. Carter Dome is nice too. However, Garfield combines a good hike, great views, good elevation gain, and an easily locatable trailhead for non-hikers or visitors coming along; so that would be my choice. :)

Whatever you choose, you'll be smiling when you get to the top! :D :D

And just how long does it take to go from 47 to 48?

I bet most wouldn't say three years! :) ;) BUT, going over the list again with my wife and seeing the same peaks in different seasons has been a great experience. Cabot was my 47th back in July 2002 we'll finish together on Isolation this summer.

So I guess my vote is for Isolation!

I think South Twin would be a wonderful final peak to finish on for those who don't bag it when doing the Bonds. (N. Twin first, then finish on S. Twin, with its spectacular views. Maybe not a good choice for a group with "non-hikers".)

Of the choices you offered I'd say Garfield definitely over N. Twin or Hale. As others have mentioned the view is great, and the trail, although long, is not too difficult til that last little section.

I have seven left. Pierce will be my last. Since I didn't do it early on, it seemed like a nice mellow hike to finish with, OK for friends and family, and some nice views also. Hopefully this September on a beautiful clear day!! :)

Lots of good ideas...

Most people had good ideas about which to pick as your last.

I'll mention that Hale is somewhat of a boring hike, even though a boring hike is better than a great day at work. That said Hale was my first 4000 footer (I'm not yet finished). I was disapointed with the peak because of no views.

I can't speak of peaks I have not visited, but the Carters are an awsome hike with tons of views.

Good luck, safe travels, and an early congradulations!