suggestions for tent camping on water's edge with hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crystaljc

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could suggest a camping place in NH where I can have the following criteria met: Hiking near site, TENT SITE RIGHT ON WATER, and secluded. I know, I don't want too much do I!

Thanks,

Sorry I guess I should have said that I wanted it to be a place that I could have my vehicle near me. However, I'm not against hiking in if the perfect place is the end result.

Exit 31 off of 93, Tripoli Road. Places on the right hand side of the road, I think, are near a brook. Ive never camped there, just drove by, so I could be mistaken.

Mt. Osceola Tr. and the East Pond Tr. are right around there.

Unknown Pond (and an even more secluded, smaller pond nearby), west of Berlin, NH. As Waumbek kindly pointed out the other day, the Cold Brook Bridge is now fully open, so you can easily drive to within about three miles of Unknown Pond. Good views, and don't set up camp in the night on the moose trail like I did last October. :eek: She was pretty PO'd with me when she came through at 10:00.

This location works for seclusion best in the "shoulder" seasons, the winter, and maybe midweek otherwise. Find a spot on the western shore, off the trail and opposite the lakeside trail on the eastern shore. Or look at the topo map for the small pond nearby.

I have yet to find a NH State Park that offers true seclusion. Maybe it's a matter of personal semantics. "Seclusion" for me is the near or total absence of the other 6 billion of you.

I have heard good reports about this state park, and it's a little closer than the options listed so far. I'm hoping to get there this summer. There are drive in, hike to, and canoe to sites.Pillsbury State Park

Hiking trails connect to the Monadnock Sunapee Greenway with a very nice section over the Mount Sunapee Ridge.

Here is a map of the trails nearby
Trails

Second Pillsbury State park. I have stayed there a few times, the sites that you can get to by canoe only do not have fire pits. Campers must use stoves. There are several site spots that you drive to, that are right on the water. Some are more private then others. Nice lake to play in.

Last edited:
Quietman said:
I have heard good reports about this state park, and it's a little closer than the options listed so far. I'm hoping to get there this summer. There are drive in, hike to, and canoe to sites.Pillsbury State Park

I'd second Quietman's recommendation. I stayed there last year with my son, campsite 36 I believe. It was about a 5-10 minute walk in and right on the lake. We hiked around Mill pond the next day. We also hiked up to balance rock..

Oh, I almost forgot. Watch out for the leaches in the lake!
I think it was a bad year for leaches in general last year, because we also ran into them up at White Lake State Park which is usually crystal clear.

Last edited:
This may not be exactly what you're looking for, but Lafayette campground in Franconia Notch offers lots of hikes without having to drive to a trailhead, camping on the water (well, not a lake or pond, but there are sites along the stream. Great for keeping beers cool ;) ), parking at your site, and campfires are allowed.

You won't find much seclusion, but if you can reserve a site towards the far end of the park away from the entrance there are a couple of sites that have a short driveway and are not right on top of the others in the area.

White Lake state park also has a few lakeside sites that can be reserved. You can't park at the site, but it's a short walk of maybe 100 yards to your car.

Russell Pond (state campground) off Tripoli Road. There is a large pond that has sites right on the water if you can get one. You have to take your car but you can hike Tripyramids, Techumseh....If you don't want to drive, you could walk around the pond....

I know it's not in NH, but Tully Lake Campground is about an hour from Dudley, and offers most of what you want. "Seclusion" may be the only issue if you go on a weekend. The campground is right on the shores of Tully Lake (with 2 sites on an island accessible by bridge). They are walk-in only, but the walk is 5 minutes or less. I think it is staffed 24/7 in the summer if safety is a concern.

For hiking, the Tully Trail crosses right through the campground, and there's a 4 mile loop trail around the lake. There are 3 nice waterfalls within a short dayhike, a small playground on the other side of the lake at the dam if you're bringing kids (about a 1 mile hike one way), canoe rentals, and firewood and ice for sale.

Let us know how the trip goes!
Smitty

I'd second Tully Lake... not wilderness by any stretch but quite uncrowded compared to many you'll find (especially in MA) and quite possibly the closest to where you are in Dudley. No big peaks, but nice woods walking, and great canoeing (you can rent there for cheap). Not sure if there are amenities like hot showers. Great place to get the kids away from anything electronic!
Weatherman