Technology and Hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still feel that using a GPS during bushwhacks is cheating.

There is no doubt that ready availability of GPS has increased the number of bushwhackers, one can argue over whether that is good or bad

Note that there are a variety of non-tecnological ways to navigate, such as following tracks in winter and going with someone else who does the routefinding - I'm sure there are people who have completed the major bushwhack peak lists who have never done any navigation themselves

But that still doesn't eliminate the branches in the face and climbing over logs etc. on the typical bushwhack route, and GPS doesn't make that any easier

And I'm sure we all know some 'non cheaters' who have 'whacked in dense fog, rain, snowstorm, or thick conifers, to what they think is the top, check it off the list and never know they were 1 or 2 bumps away from the summit. ;)

Is using a map while hiking cheating? To be in full connection with nature I believe one should bushwhacked completely naked...:D

On a more serious note during the days before GPSs climbers used drainages as handles with the disastrous results to the mountains we are all aware of nowadays.... Using a GPS allows us to meanders and be more careful with the terrain we travel, particularly at high altitude where a small detour can be a must to protect the fragile vegetation.

Last edited: