The Captain, Carrigain Pond, Mt. Carrigain BW 2/19-20

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suebiscuit

Reaction score
Or: Hamtero and Suebuiscuit mingle with the trees.

Our journey started out on the Sawyer River Trail from the Kanc, an easy coupla three miles down the snowmobile tracks. We took a left onto the Hancock Notch Tr, then at about 1/2 mile, crossed the river to continue into the valley along the old logging road that eventually tapers down into a path. We veered to the west, crossed the creek and eventually got back onto the frozen creek bed to follow it up for a bit. Thanks to the recent rain and freeze, there is a nice crust on the deep snow, so much of the way we were able to stay up on top of the snow. Of course it wouldn’t be much fun without the occasional sink down to thigh level, which increased in frequency as we climbed up to the col and the snow became softer. The climb is steep, but not too dense, and we found our way back onto a small creek that led us up to the col between Hancock and the Captain. Arrived there in about 4 hours, where, having forgotten the numbers I wrote down on the map, I claimed that it but a mere 100 feet up to the Captain. Truth is, it was actually 300 feet, but since we approached from the NW side, we encountered dense shrubs, a couple of minor outcroppings and spruce traps that tried to suck the life out of me. Maintaining a blistering pace, we made it to the top 2 and a half hours later. We looked around for the canister - Hamtero went one way, I another. I made it about 50 feet before I was hopelessly trapped in a tangle of snakes and alligators and little beasts that were trying to poke me in the eye. So I went back to the meeting place and pretended I had circled the whole summit. The canister was not to be found and the temperature was dropping, so we started to head down, at which point Hamtero discovered the truth about my foray to find the jar. Damn those snowshoe tracks! Hamtero also discovered that one of the rivets had popped out of the front of his snowshoe, and the plastic was starting to look stressed…

The trip down the ‘center’ of the Captain proved to be much easier, and we made it to the pond in easy time. Pretty little pond with an ice waterfall outlet. Set up camp on the west side of the pond, and enjoyed a moonlit, though chilly night. Woke up to temps a few degrees below zero, but I know I slept a good amount because Hamtero informed me that I was making ‘little’ snores. He’s so kind.

Our original plan was to head out the way we came, but it was such a pretty day, and Carrigain looked so inviting… H. used some old toe clip straps to hold his snowshoe together (the zip ties he tried the day before snapped in mere seconds), and we decided that we’d hike for about an hour to see how tough the going was (the rough trip up the Captain spooked us a bit). Though steep, the woods are fairly open, with the only the occasional dense thicket, so we made pretty good time. H. insisted that I lead, in order to preserve his weakened snowshoe. About a third of the way up, I decided this was just a ploy to get paybacks for having worked so hard to keep the stove going, so I staged a strike, and we switched his bad shoe for one of mine. H. led the rest of the way while I cruised in back. Ha! Hit a really steep shrubby section at about 4200 feet, but the rest of the way was relatively easy, landing us up top in 4 hours.

Gorgeous views on Carrigain, but cold, so we quickly took off down Signal Ridge Tr. which is well–broken at this point. Passed a few people heading up. A short distance past the Carrigain Notch Trail junction, we headed south on the old logging road that connects to Sawyer River Road to save a few miles. The going was very easy the first 2/3 of the way, then a bit more work through the occasional battalions of young spruce, but nothing too bad. Followed a lot of interesting animal tracks – fox, bunnies, some large dog/cat-like tracks and some strange longish tracks with lots of nubbles.

We cheated a little and followed the snowmobile fireroad instead of the unbroken Sawyer River Tr. We’re only human. Had a good laugh about a mile and a half from the car, where we encountered a spanish-speaking woman and her teenage daughter on a snowmobile. "WE’RE LOST!!!" They showed us the map they had been given at the rental place, which had markings like "Main Trail", "Scenic out look #1", "#2", etc. "Do NOT go past scenic outlook #4". The best we could do is send them back to Route 302 by way of Sawyer River Rd. Hope they made it back… Today I figured out that they were supposed to be riding around in the Bartlett Experimental Area, on Bear Notch Road... We made it out just before dark, mighty pooped, but all of out limbs intact, and happy with another great adventure,

wow. I'm jealous. can't wait to get there myself. do you have pics of the pond anywhere? I'm not really up on geocatching, but it sounds like that's what you were doing?? and a question about your route..why did you choose to veer onto Hancock notch? from the maps it looked like the fireroad (the continuation of Signal road) would have gotten you just as close if not closer to your BW point?? good work! c

I saw a picture of The Captain and Carrigan that Frodo posted from another trip and they both look awesome. I'm jealous -- sounds like an awesome trip you had here. Dalraida has promised to arrange a trip to The Captain (for me! ;) :D -- just kidding, Tom) for sometime in the spring. I wonder if this route is similar to the route he does.

Regards,

Dr. Wu

Last edited:
Hey Caleb -

Finding the jar is secondary fun, not necessarily the aim of the trip.

We didn't actually go to/through Hancock Notch (just hiked a short distance up the Hancock Notch Trail to cross the river to the logging road) - we went up into the col between South Hancock and the Captain. Not sure if that valley has a name. Also, not sure where Signal Road is...?

Sorry, no pictures...one of these days I'll have time to shop for a camera!

Sue

Canister

In Frodo's pictures the canister looked frozen solid so didn't think we could open it anyway. I thought about camping up there so i could look for it more but decided that wasn't too smart.

Suebiscuit said:
Hey Caleb -

Finding the jar is secondary fun, not necessarily the aim of the trip.

We didn't actually go to/through Hancock Notch (just hiked a short distance up the Hancock Notch Trail to cross the river to the logging road) - we went up into the col between South Hancock and the Captain. Not sure if that valley has a name. Also, not sure where Signal Road is...?

Sorry, no pictures...one of these days I'll have time to shop for a camera!

Sue

sorry, I meant sawyer road. what is the deal with the jar? please educate me. I am, officially, as of this moment, an old fart.

Awesome trip report! Sounds like you 2 had a great trip. That upper section of the Captain from the NW is pretty narly :eek:

Also fantastic job with the snowshoe repair. Thats a tough place to be and have a snowshoe failure.

You are right, the cannister (or jar in this case) is secondary. It is also not easy to find, AND it might not even be there any more. It could have boken (glass jar on a rope is not the most durable method), or it could have been taken down (I have heard thru the grapvine that someone has been removing cannisters from the NE 3k's, but I do not know who it is).

This is a picture of the JAR on The Captain.

Frodo said:
You are right, the cannister (or jar in this case) is secondary. It is also not easy to find, AND it might not even be there any more. It could have boken (glass jar on a rope is not the most durable method), or it could have been taken down (I have heard thru the grapvine that someone has been removing cannisters from the NE 3k's, but I do not know who it is).
The canister is on a little bump at the far end to the L going up from the pond. I didn't see it going over, but turned around when it started dropping off steeply and found it coming back on a parallel route (fall, no tracks to follow anyway). The bump is higher than anything nearby but I can't prove it is the highest part of the whole flattish summit.

This is one peak I found easier in winter, with lots of snow and a hard crust we walked over all the trash. Actually the hardest part was the steep place from the logging road to the col, above the col there were plenty of trees to pull on :)

Here is my photo of the pond looking towards Carrigain
http://s92966274.onlinehome.us/hikenh/img/3d20.jpg