The Dix Range - 7/30/2006

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elhefe007a

Reaction score
I was going to Dial/Nippletop today...but after seeing the weather forcast for Sunday, I changed plans to solo the Dix Range.

I woke up in Burlington VT around 4:30, packed up my stuff and hit the Charlotte/Essex ferry at 6AM. It was already almost completely clear looking accross the lake at the high peaks. I was so fired up for some amazing views.

I reached the Elk Lake trailhead around 7:30 and started in. About a mile into the hike, I started passing a number of overnighters heading out from the various lean-to's. The trail to Slide Brook was muddy and wet, but pretty flat the entire way.

I reached the cairn at Slide Brook, and headed into the woods. Beautiful herd path all the way, most of the way it was flagged. Hats off to everyone who worked on this. Amazing views on the way of the Macomb slides as well.
Eventually, I reached the bottom of the Slide, and started heading up. It had rained previously, so the going to was slow due to lots of sand/loose rock/mud and wet rocks. About halfway up, I turned around and was greeted to amazing views all around. Marcy, Skylight, Allen, Haystack, Basin, Saddleback and the final peak for the day, Dix. I also noticed on the bottom of the slide, a group of two people taking a break. (I would run into them later).
Finally, after a workout - I reached the Macomb Summit, the views were outstanding. No clouds, and unlimited visability. Coudn't even pick out any haze.

I took a breather, ate a snickers bar and chugged some Gatorade, and located the Herd Path to South Dix. Easy going all the way down to the base of South Dix, where you are instantly faced with a solid wall of rocks. Up, up up, with amazing views all the way to the peak.
From there, I located the East Dix herd path, and headed out that way. This was similar to the herd path from Macomb to South Dix, but a little thicker and muddier in places. I was able to make good time, and eventually came out on the open summit of East Dix. From here I had clear views of Macomb, South Dix, Hough and Dix. As well as Giant, Rocky Peak Ridge and Noonmark. I also had unrestricted views of almost the entire Long Trail, the views were amazing.
I ate a PB sandwich, Powerbar, chugged some water and set off back to South Dix. On the way, I passed the two guys on the slide, who were also doing the range traverse. Once back on South Dix, I wasted no time heading to Hough. This is where things tough. From South Dix to Hough was tough all the way. Muddy, thick, steep, you name it. It's no wonder back in the day a lot of people broke those hikes up. I eventually came upon a campsite in the col between the two peaks, and started down the lillian brook path accidently for a bit. Turned around, and located the correct one thanks to a compass bearing, and headed on what seemed like straight up to Hough's summit. Again, unrestricted visibility. I took an hour break or so here as I ran into two guys comming over from Dix, who happened to be from the same place I was (Burlington). Nice guys, hope they made the traverse (the opposite way I did). Eventually, I packed up, and headed down Hough to Dix. This was extrememly steep, and extremely slippery in the mud. It was almost impossible not to almost fall on your ass a number of times. Eventually I got to the col, and started the steep climb to the Beckhorn, and eventually to Dix where I enjoyed the best views of the day. 5/5 Peaks down.

The trail from the BeckHorn to the flat of the land was crazy steep as well. But I was running on Cruise control at that point. The final 3.8 miles to the road hurt, I won't lie.
All in all - 11 hour trip, 5 peaks, and some of the best views I have ever seen in my life.

Pictures at:
http://www.forthoseabouttorock.net/climb/adk/dixrange/dixrange.html

#76-#80/115. (And #21/46).

elhefe007a said:
It's no wonder back in the day a lot of people broke those hikes up.
LOL! It must still be 'the day'! You must be a lot younger than I am, or at least in much better shape! :D

I broke the Dixes up into 3 hikes, and barely escaped with my life (or so it seemed!) each time. :eek: :D

Congrats on bagging all 5, and it sounds like you had the perfect day for the views too! The pics sure look like that was the case.

Speaking of the pics, I always see those bumps in:

http://www.forthoseabouttorock.net/climb/adk/dixrange/BeckhornMacombfromDix.JPG

when coming up the Northway. Now I guess I know it's Macomb. Thanks!

Haha Tom, well I was refering to the fact that I would NEVER want to break trail/bushwack between South Dix and Hough. It seemed like it would be a freaken nightmare without a herd path.

I've heard that range gets some really bizzare weather patterns and such. Hence the number of bail out herd paths off the ridge. I talked to one guy on Dix who said he had the use the Lillian Brook bail out path last year, and it took him 7 hours, as they had to abandon any hope of walking on the land due to blowdown, and had to just walk down the brook itself.

Although yesterday when I was there, it coudn't have been a more perfect day. Outstanding views.
I didn't even need bug spray.

And - I'm 25. (26 next month).
:D

Last edited: