The 'list' dilemma

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
king tut said:
Their wives seemed to state that they were not good husbands because they let this take over their lives, and endangered themselves.
An interesting comment. As I was nearing the completion of the NH 4Ks, my wife commented on how my obsession with the list had taken my attention away from other, more important things. She was right.

An ironic twist on this theme can be discovered by reading the book Seven Summits by Dick Bass and Frank Wells with Rick Ridgeway. In the book, Frank Wells is dissuaded from completing the quest by an ultimatum from his wife. After finishing the book, google Frank Wells and find out how his life ended.

Steve

Carole: Thanks for inspiring some chatter on this topic. I pursued with a vengeance the NH48 list until I sorta burned out. When I rethought why I was out there, that's when I gathered up the energy _ and desire _ to finish the list. Am I still list-driven? Yeah, in a way. But I never want it to be all-consuming.

And that's one key reason I ended up adopting the upper sections of AirLine. I wanted to give back to these woods, trails and mountains. It's a beautiful part of the world that we all live in and near, and I feel truly blessed _ but also didn't want to take it for granted.

So now, my list is, yeah, 4Ks but also smaller mountains, simple trails, basically anything outdoors. I mostly just want to continue exploring.

A few thoughts..............

I hear you, but still I cringe when I see these posts about trailwork because they remind me of how little I am doing to "give back"...... I have every intention, I just never do.

It's tough though, we live so far and my kids are still only 12 & 14, so "going hiking" is still a family trip (we can't leave em home). Most crews (including the 46ers) require kids to be 16, and since we can't just leave em in town while we do trail work (I know, I know..... sounds like excuses). Perhaps it ie but it just has not worked out yet, best intentions and all.

I'm wondering, what other activities can I/we engage in that will somehow have some positive impact and make us feel better about it. Seems as though we've made far too many withdrawls and not nearly enough deposits. :(

Perhaps in the coming years it'll work out more so that I get to do more trailwork, but for now it's tough. Any other suggestions (I'm serious).

Last edited:
Pete_Hickey said:
But I think there is more. I don't think that most hikers can relate to someone putting a lot of time doing volunteer trailwork.

I saw a trailcrew once on Algonquin Trail, it was around 8:30 AM. I did my full day of hiking, bagged three peaks, I felt really good about my "accomplishment". At 4:00 PM, when I was almost done, I saw the same four guys from the trailcrew, still working. I had to stop and to tell them how much I appreciate what they do. I mean, they are the one who builted stairways with rocks, and removed blowdowns so peakbaggers can go faster on the trail...

Pete_Hickey said:
you didn't recognize the long-haired guy (Jean-René) qui parle français? He was working (living) on Algonquin for 2 weeks.

He was not there that day (July 16th). I asked the guys if they knew him, and they said he was in the Catskills.

BTW, I am going to send you the color version of the "Trailwork with Pete" drawing.

mavs00 said:
I hear you, but still I cringe when I see these posts about trailwork because they remind me of how little I am doing to "give back"...... I have every intention, I just never do.

It's tough though, we live so far and my kids are still only 12 & 14, so "going hiking" is still a family trip (we can't leave em home). Most crews (including the 46ers) require kids to be 16, and since we can't just leave em in town while we do trail work (I know, I know..... sounds like excuses). Perhaps it ie but it just has not worked out yet, best intentions and all.

I'm wondering, what other activities can I/we engage in that will somehow have some positive impact and make us feel better about it. Seems as though we've made far too many withdrawls and not nearly enough deposits. :(

Perhaps in the coming years it'll work out more so that I get to do more trailwork, but for now it's tough. Any other suggestions (I'm serious).

Is there a progam out there to adopt a trail? There are several areas in NH where you can. It's not real hard work to walk it and keep it clear and report any major needs to those in charge. I wouldn't see how you couldn't do that with your kids. They would probably love it.

Work while you walk!

This might be a no-no... but for many years now I have carried a folding saw in my pack to take out any manageable, blow-downs as I hike.
I know taking out a few fallen trees is no big deal compared with the work the trail crews do, but every little helps.
Is this illegal Pete? :eek:

Excellent thread by the way Carole.

Last edited:
prino said:
Is this illegal Pete?

Yes, in NY. Depending on the area, trail, and the ranger, there may not be a problem. On a real (marked) trail, there is less chance of a problem. There are some trails that are planned to be closed eventually, and the state does not want them to ba maintained. There is also the liability issue.

Last edited:
My name is Andrew and I'm a 4Ker...

Like many who have posted, I'm making my way through "the 48". It started as a way of bringing order to my hiking ("Which peak should I hike? How about this 4Ker..") and has, at times, turned into an obsession. There have been times for either health or time reasons that I should have chosen a shorter hike but didn't because it wouldn't "count". I realise this and I'm trying to change my mind-set to combat it. I guess the first step to recovery is to realise there's a problem. However, I do feel the List is helpful in determining hiking plans especially for a beginner who's overwhelmed by choices. The key is to keep it all in perspective.

Now excuse me, I have to go back to planning my Bonds deathmarch. :)

PS The point about trail maintenance is very valid - I am determined to remedy my lack of volunteerism very shortly.

prino said:
This might be a no-no... but for many years now I have carried a folding saw in my pack to take out any manageable, blow-downs as I hike.
I know taking out a few fallen trees is no big deal compared with the work the trail crews do, but every little helps.
Is this illegal Pete? :eek:

Excellent thread by the way Carole.
while I never carry tools I often will clear minnor blow downs. do many others do this?

Kevin Rooney said:
EMS sells a great little folding saw made by Gerber (about $20 with two blades) which makes short work of most anything up to about 6" in diameter.
A friend who does a lot of trail work claims that the Gerber folding saws tend to bind. (Never used one myself.)

Correction--the problem was for a different model saw.

The 21in Sven saw is pretty good--I've cleared up to 8in logs with it. (Much better than the Sawvivor which binds.) REI carries them online.

Other organizations that are asking for help with trail maintenence:
AMC:
http://www.outdoors.org/trails/index.cfm
http://www.outdoors.org/trails/volunteer/index.cfm

Applachian Trail Conservancy:
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.694599/k.CCB5/Home.htm

The Berkshire section of the AMC maintains the Mass AT:
http://www.amcberkshire.org
A friend of mine is in charge of maintaining the center third of the Mass AT. She goes out to work fairly often--if anyone wishes, I can put you in contact with her.

Doug

Edit: correction above

Last edited:
cp2000 said:
while I never carry tools I often will clear minnor blow downs. do many others do this?

I cannot imagine why clearing hiking trails would be wrong. When a tree is across the trail, too high to comfortably step over, people go around and quickly make a herd path.

I'm glad that you and others care enough to stop and clear trails. Sounds like the State of NY has stick in an unfortunate position. ;)

Happy Trails!

forestnome said:
I cannot imagine why clearing hiking trails would be wrong. When a tree is across the trail, too high to comfortably step over, people go around and quickly make a herd path.

I'm glad that you and others care enough to stop and clear trails. Sounds like the State of NY has stick in an unfortunate position.

Myabe it's a liability issue, and maybe it's because there have been numerous illegally cut trails. Things aren't black and white. It ranges from removing something from an official marked trail, clearing blowdown on a closed (re-routed) trail..... clearing a popular herd path, .... clearing a rarely used herd path, ..... cutting your own route (therer are a number of these).

I suspect that rangers have a certain amount of judgement, and won't bother anyone clearing obvious blowdown on an major trail.

prino said:
Is this illegal Pete?
Pete_Hickey said:
Yes, in NY. Depending on the area, trail, and the ranger, there may not be a problem. On a real (marked) trail, there is less chance of a problem. There are some trails that are planned to be closed eventually, and the state does not want them to ba maintained. There is also the liability issue.
I have said before, get to know your DEC ranger. Pete is quite right, you need to understand plans for trails in a region, and the ranger needs to understand who is working or altering the trails. I have made friends with several rangers where I travel, and I frequently call or visit to discuss plans and routes, maybe learn of a "hidden" trail. The resulting benefits are huge.

prino said:

I've done the same for the last couple years. I am particularly partial to spruce and fir blowdowns because they are nasty to climb over but easy to to saw through. I tried adopting the trail between Tremont and Owls Cliff last year, but found I just didn't have the stamina for it any more and gave it up.

Blowdown clearing doesn't do much anyway

If you REALLY want to help a trail, there is something that will do a LOT more than blowdown clearing. For the most part, blowdown is just an inconvienence to the hiker, and has very little effect on the trail. There is something that you can do that will help the trail a lot more, and it doesn't even require tools.

Clear drainage ditches & water bars.

When walking during/after a rain, and you notice an area where water is building up, look to see if there is some kind of drainage line that is blocked with debris, then kick it clear, and watch the water start draining.

If you see a water bar with water running over it, because its end is blocked with leaves and debris, kick it clear.

Running water does a lot of damage to trails, and these two things will help a LOT more than removing some blowdown.

I agree mostly with what Pete is saying. Keeping drainage clear makes a big difference in trails. The heel of a boot, a large stick or rock, or even just your hand can accomplish quite a bit.

But I also think removing blowdown quickly helps because people inevitably go around and form a new path which may also undermine drainage.

carole said:
I agree mostly with what Pete is saying. Keeping drainage clear makes a big difference in trails. The heel of a boot, a large stick or rock, or even just your hand can accomplish quite a bit.
Yes, I have played in the mud since I was a kid. I once took 7 hours to climb Giant in the rain as I was scuffing drainage. One guy thought it was strange and stopped to chat briefly, but higher up I found some already scuffed :)
But I also think removing blowdown quickly helps because people inevitably go around and form a new path which may also undermine drainage.
Could I really agree twice with carole in one note?