Thin waterproof gloves?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you know two people with subscriptions to backpacker, there's an insert in the latest edition with an envelope that contains one gore-tex membrane mitt (and one plastic mitt.) If you were creative enough, you could create your own waterproof lightweight mittens/gloves from two of the gore-tex mitts. It's seam welded and everything!

For this time of year I pack liners & a pair of small non-OR overmitts. Soaking wet fleece while retaining some heat trapping ability is just a pain in the butt to wear all day.

See Gris post,I use a pair of old semi waterproof very thin semi breathable mitts like old OR shells (I used to get off brand mitts for 10.00-15.00 from campmor threshold or sympatex).Only wear liner when in camp or on summit.Another trick is to make sure your shell has long enough sleeves to tuck hands up inside and let sleeves hang over then you can wear liners and not get wet.I do this on long wet trail aproches then switch to thin mitts when and if have to touch wet rock,snow or ice.Later in winter I use the same strategy just use heavier layers better Mitt such as old OR PRO mitts.I loved their old moonpile liner mitts;much warmer than fleece very durable and breathable.I'll hike along untill hands get to warm then alternate hands with mitts off untill hands cool down
Run me out in the cold rain and snow(GD) I wish I was a headlight on a north bound train I'd shine my light through the cool colorado rain (GD)

I like the sealskinz gloves. They're thin and flexible and you can still use your fingers. If you have a problem with sweat on the inside, use a liner and switch it periodically. Or simply take the gloves off for a time.

I use the NRS gloves when kayaking and can tell you they are far from waterproof. They do keep the blisters down to a minimum when doing long padles though and keep my hands warm. I have lousy circulation in my left hand from a rather nasty motorcycle accident years ago so they do help.

I just picked up a pair of whats called an All Weather Glove made by a company called Seirus. It says it's "weatherproof(waterproof/windproof/breathable fabric with seams not sealed).Breathable membrane keeps warmth in but moisture out ''. We'll see!! They seem pretty well made, but will they really stay warm and dry? I picked them up at Dicks Sporting Goods for $35. They remind Me of a Neoprene glove, but with Polartec Fleece lining.

Thanks everyone, I am going to make a trip to Campmor this week to take a look at the SealSkinz, the Serius waterproof gloves as well as the NRS gloves.