Things are Meant to be

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j sin

Reaction score
I would like to start off an say that Most people you meet on the trail are worth a good hello an that's about it. And some people you meet while in the woods are meant to be more than that. Last week while on the way to Panther Gorge from Elk lake. My dog Cody at the 7 mile area locked up and could not get up. My wife and I where headed in for a few days at the Lean-to. I will say that Cody was no novice hiker,he has done more peaks through out this country than most people would realize. At the time of him locking up you could hear the thunder in the distance. I ran of to drop my pack at the lean -to, leaving my wife behind to aid him. After returning I noticed they had not moved. I sent my wife off to drop her pack and return with Emergency blankets and a tarp. My only choice was to put him off the trail an tuck him in for the night with a small fire for comfort. We went to the shelter an spent the night wide awake worrying. After the quick storm over night and at about 6 o'clock we ventured back with more supplies to get him to the shelter. We made a make shift stretcher to carry him in. After about four hours of walking we made it to the Lean-to. Then during the day we cared for him, never leaving his side. As it happens we where blessed with a group of 5 hikers that where coming into the lean-to also Mid-week. Through the down pour of Katrina we all stayed in the shelter together. I will say that the group all could realize that when Cody could not get up after the second night that we where in a real tight spot. With the support of my new friends I knew what had to be done. Cody was my best friend for the last 11 years on this earth. And on Thursday morning I had to put him to rest. He is now resting in Panther Gorge. Even then I knew that things happen for a reason. As we all walked away from the shelter we felt things like that are Meant to be. So just understand today in life that things all happen for a reason. Paw prints on my soul. Rest in peace Cody Dog.

My heart goes out to you and your wife. And to the hikers who shared in your despair and decision to ease Cody's life.

I'm sorry your dog had to spend his/her second to last night on this earth injured, petrified, and out in the middle of the woods amongst the thunderstorms all by himself without his masters. I wish I had been at the lean-to. I would have gladly hiked back to keep your dog company for the night.

I know how tough it is to lose a dog, especially one that's been a hiking partner. If it's any comfort, Cody went out in a place he loved with people he loved, rather than in some vet's office somewhere. That's the most any of us can hope for...

Sorry about your loss. How old was Cody?

so sorry for your loss.

when his time came he was with the ones that he loved and that loved him. is there any better way to go?

my suggestion is to go out to an animal shelter and find a new furry friend that needs the same love and care that you gave to cody. that is how you honor his memory and all that he ment to you. the best way to fill a hole in your heart is to give of yourself to others, including furry freinds.

J Sin - I am sorry for your loss and I wish you the best.
On the bright side, the cycle begins anew and the knowledge needs to be passed. You must now get a little pup and teach the little guy everything that CODY taught you.

Respectfully, in a vet's office - warm, dry, and with quickly acting drugs to ease the passing - is not such a bad thing. I can't imagine there is a way to comfortably ease a dog's passing in the midst of the woods.

As a dog owner, this story saddens me... :(

But it also causes me concern. The events that took place raise a few questions that I'm not clear on how/why they happened the way they did.

It sounds like the owners left a small unattended fire. Is this correct? No matter how small, there is always a risk of the fire speading.

As Doc pointed out the poor suffering dog was left all alone in the woods while the owners were at the shelter? Couldn't the owners have brought the dog to the shelter then as opposed to the next day or spent the night with the dog off the trail?

How was the dog "put down" in the middle of the woods? Wouldn't it have been better to ask the other hikers to help litter the dog out to the car and get him to the vet? Couldn't he have been more comfortable there? Could there have been something that the vet could have done to help him to live more comfortably for longer?

I only have questions, no answers and I'm not trying to cast any kind of judgement on the owners actions. Please don't think I am. I wasn't there. I don't know the whole story. I'm just trying to understand what happened and why so I may better understand and perhaps be prepared in case I'm ever forced to deal with such a terrible situation. Again, my heart goes out for your loss.

I must say that story was near tear jerking, I could not imagine having to do such a thing.

Before Double Bow gets jumped on (maybe he won't) he does bring up interesting questions........... I don't know that they need to be answered. However, they are fair game to ponder and consider knowing that there is always a chance this could occur to someone else in the future, or one of us comes across a similar situation.

patrickbrusil said:
I must say that story was near tear jerking, I could not imagine having to do such a thing.

Before Double Bow gets jumped on (maybe he won't) he does bring up interesting questions........... I don't know that they need to be answered. However, they are fair game to ponder and consider knowing that there is always a chance this could occur to someone else in the future, or one of us comes across a similar situation.

I don't necessarily feel that the questions need to be answered but at the same time I am aware of the danger I could be faced with if my 90 lb husky would not continue, a storm was approaching and we were miles into the forest. This thread could unfortunately degenerate into a long ethical discussion, which I hope it doesn't. It's hard enough to lose a pet without having to feel remorse about the situation.
I can't say from the description of what happened if it would have been useful in that situation, but a basic knowledge of pet first aid is essential to anyone who spends a great deal of time outside (especially far away from medical help) with their pet. I recommend Field Guide to Dog First Aid Emergency Care for the Hunting, Working, and Outdoor Dog .

I would like to first say to those that are so simple minded to think that there solutions to my dilemma was easy. A unattended fire. Yes that is what I did. Was it a bonfire, by no means. To sit and Instantly make judgement on what I did is very inconsiderate. I did not write this post for people to make or pass judgement on what I did. I was more or less passing the thanks/respect along for those that helped me along in the worst situation of my life. If any of you would like to sit down in a face to face manner and spend the time to understand the true levity of the situation I would be pleased to do so. I am no inexperienced hiker nor was Cody. I myself have precieved that the people on this site where very down to Earth but instantly I am jumped on for what I did. Thanks for reafirming my disgust in human nature. When in life you feel the need to play judge or jury or on someone actions you must first understand that it truely isn't your place. Sit at home behind your computer and pass judgement on your self before you choose to disgrace what I had to do. I have chosen to leave my E-mail and to those that would like to Hike/discuss this in a more Ethical manner I am fully capable of meeting you an explaning what I did in Greater Detail. Thank you for souring my spirit again and truely understanding of how simple minded people are when they have all the defenses of sitting behind there screen. People in general suck Thanks for proving it Double Bow.

I am, sorry for your loss. I know if my cat who used to hike with me (Yes a cat ) on her harness died I woiuld be devastated ,. She has Climed Laplata Peak Mt Elbert , I never carried her on any hike even South Maroon and North Maroon and I took her up Osceaola and Lafeyette aslo kind of un common but she hates me to leave her at home now she has to stay ther though. Too many people and some have been mean to her and made fun of me . Maybe one last trip up La Plata . I would Bring some cans of Tuna for her on my day hikes with her. She is stil around but I do not take her hikng losing a speciall pet is tough :(
I feel very sad when I read any thing like this.

Rick

Rest in peace Cody

Last edited:
I feel terrible about the loss of your pet. (Other comments deleted in the interest of not inflaming this thread and criticizing forum member).

PB

Last edited: