Time to Buy Snowshoes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlennS

Reaction score
I was just looking at the EMS website. They have big discounts on Tubbs and Atlas snowshoes. I recently bought a pair of the Tubbs Mountain 25. I used them on a recent trip to the Hancocks and was very impressed with their performance. One caution though, the viper crampons on them are very sharp.

Check out this link: http://www.ems.com/catalog/subcateg...older_id=2534374302869783&bmUID=1141998567952

Usual disclaimer, I don't have any affiliation with EMS.

On a similar note, I was at the Boston REI yesterday and they had all their snowshoes marked down to $99 to $110. Even the Tubbs Altitude 30 which I bought as a Christmas gift and paid almost twice as much :(
They had Atlas 1030s and 1025s and a whole bin of other ones. Great deals.

sli74

The lack of snow this season makes it a buyer's market for skis and snowshoes. Good buys on rental equipment may have to wait, however, until the season is nearly over.

I have both the Tubbs Mountain 25 (for backpacking) and the Tubbs Adventure 25 (for day hiking). I am quite pleased with both. I haven't had any difficulties with either, and I've abused the Mtn 25 quite a bit.

And yes, the crampons are quite sharp! :)

I saw the "Altitude 30"s for only $70- WOW! But then I looked and I'm not sure if those have the viper crampons, which is what I really want. It said the crampons on these were aluminum. 1 or 2 opinions on Tubbs "mountain" vs. "altitude"? Thanks.

weatherman said:
I saw the "Altitude 30"s for only $70- WOW! But then I looked and I'm not sure if those have the viper crampons, which is what I really want. It said the crampons on these were aluminum. 1 or 2 opinions on Tubbs "mountain" vs. "altitude"? Thanks.
The Mountains have the stainless steep Viper crampons and snowboard-style binding; the Altitude a somewhat newer style aluminum crampon and nylon strap binding. The Mountains binding goes on quickly, and is a bit more difficult to get off if the rachet mechanism ices up. The nylon one can ice up too, but not quite as tough to get off if it does. Both crampons work well for traction. Stainless steel is incredibly durable and will not wear down for many years. The aluminum do, over time, expecially if you use them alot in boney situations above treeline. The wear is gradual, however. The Vipers really grab, and they take a bit of getting used to going down hill, as you can do a face plant without much trouble. Kinda like the ABS brakes of the snowshoe world. They're also sharp, so treat with the same respect as you would conventional crampons - perhaps a bit more, since they're so sharp. It's the old saying - you pays your money, you takes your chances. Both are excellent 'shoes for backcountry travel.

I have the older style Altitudes (TD91 binding) and the Mountains. They're both 25 inches (I'm in the 200 lb. range). The crampons on my Altitudes are aluminum and quite worn. The current Altitudes have the Bear Hug binding. That seems to be one that you either love or hate. I have heard that your boot tends to slide forward going downhill with the Bearhugs (no personal experience). My boots didn't move at all with the bindings on the Mountains. I think the Mountains are more suited to this year's mix of bare rock, ice and snow.

I've only had the chance to wear the Mountains once. I absolutely loved them. That could have been because of the conditions I was in, rather than the snowshoe. I broke trail last Saturday between North and South Hancock. It was probably the best snowshoeing I have ever done. The snow was deep and fluffy powder. Going down So. Hancock, the snow was deep enough that the viper crampons didn't penetrate to the hard pack. What a ride!

I'd go with a shoe with the stainless steel crampon.

Have fun,
Glenn

Last edited:
Thanks for the digression. I have some older Tubbs Sierras with worn cleats that I think I'd use on days where the snow is deep and traction not mandatory (ie I want to take mega-steps and slide going downhill) but the boney-ness (or is it boniness?:)) of trails that I tend to find makes me want more aggressive crampons for a new pair. Back to the sale discussion.

Here's to next winter being less boney!
-Weatherman

Snowshoes at REI

I was just at the REI in Manhattan Beach (CA). They had a bunch of snowshoes on sale at discounted prices. I wasn't in the market for a pair, so didn't pay close attention, but the prices were marked down considerably. They had a pretty fair selection. I presume all the stores in the chain will have them on sale. Almost all the Winter gear was already out the door and bikes and kayaks were taking over the floor space.