Tom Field and Wiley in rain?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonPatrikz

Reaction score
I'm looking to hike this tomorrow and was wondering if anyone has suggestions on the hike. I was going to hike up hit the spur for Tom then hike down to Field and Wiley then back.

How is kendrall flume trail? How about when it is wet?

Better to do the out and back or hike down kendrall flume and then back up the road?

Thanks Jason

I've done it in the rain by going up A-Z to Tom, then across the ridge to Willey, then back to Field, taking the Avalon trail and back down to the car. The Kedron Flume trail is steep with ladders in places, not great in a bad rain.

-dave-

David Metsky said:
The Kedron Flume trail is steep with ladders in places, not great in a bad rain.
-dave-
DSCN6015.jpg

Although the ladders look new, they are steep.

Pix from Tom, Filed, and Wiley

David Metsky said:
I've done it in the rain by going up A-Z to Tom, then across the ridge to Willey, then back to Field, taking the Avalon trail and back down to the car.
-dave-

We took thie same route on a showery Labor Day Weekend in 2003. You can stop off and see the cascades on the AZ trail on the return. The fir trees were encroaching on the Trail over to Willey - they also hid the occasional stump and rock so pay attention or risk a bruised shin. The sun peaked through long enough for us to see a rainbow over the Mt. Washington Hotel. And the Grey Jays on Field still come beggin' in the rain... have fun.

Sounds like you are not stashing a bike or car spotting? If the case and you want to do the loop go up the KF and exit AZ and Avalon at the station, and walk down 302 to your car. Better than hiking up the road. I did it Avalon, AZ, Tom, Willey Ridge to Field and Willey and back to Field and down Avalon a few weeks ago. There is a few miles of overlap but you also get Avalon summit which has probably has the best views (if there are any). Couple stream crossings but I wouldn't think they would be much of a problem unless there is a lot of rain. Have a nice hike.

Did the exact route last summer and theres nothing to worry about, in the rain. In fact, the two sets of falls and the small flume along the bottom of the Avalon Tr. will certainly be better after a days rain. Too bad, the views from Tom and Willey will be socked in though.

Have fun.