Trailer hitch bike rack ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
Looking to get a trail hitch bike rack. I've checked out a bunch and the Yakima Highlite3 looks like a good combination of light weight, ease of use, and easy to get on and off the Outback.
Any thoughts or other similar alternatives?

We have the Stick Up 2, which loads the bikes on a tray rather than hangs from the top which was needed for our bike frames. Depending on what type of bikes you have you should check that they fit. Most road bikes should be OK but not all full suspension mountain bikes will work.

We have a hard tail MTB and a hybrid. Also looking at the Saris, Ralph, after seeing yours.
Might come down to a couple of similar racks - Thule Helium or Yakima Highlite.

I would measure the distance between the support bars to make sure they'll fit your frames - even if they are conventional. We used to have a tire-mounted Thule rack, and needed a special adapter to get my partner's bike on it (she's shorter than I am, so her bike frame is smaller). The adapter worked well enough, but it was a pain, and never held the bike as securely as the cradles.

We currently have a Yakima double-down, which works fine for us.

For what it's worth,if you have the current model of Subaru Outback with the built in (on) rack, Yakima does make a "landing pad" that replaces Subaru's folding cross bars. So, if you already hve Yakima bars and components, it allows you to use them on the Outback. That is our solution.

I use the hatch in my Outback but I did have fork mounted bike carriers on the outside. For a hitch mtn, especially with the Outback, I'd suggest you find one that swings out or away in some fashion so you can open the back with the bikes on.. it's a handy feature I would think especially since the window on the Outback doesn't open..

Jay

I use the Thule Parkway 4 Bike Rack for 2" Hitches - Tilting. Works well & is easy to put on & take off.

I have a hitch rack with my wagon. It does have to be swung (down) to open the back, and that does get annoying by the end of the summer, especially with hands full. You cannot swing it with bikes on it, only a side-swing is designed for that.

All that said, it's a heck of a lot nicer than dealing with the roof. I was always scared, especially with a fork mount, that I was going to slip and drop the bike and send the bare fork straight through the sun roof.

I'll look up what I have when I get home; I don't have it on the car for the season yet. That happens this weekend *grin*.

I recommend a website called etrailer.com (yes it's a real site--there's a .com for everything!). They have a huge array of trailers/hitches and you can make sure you get absolutely the right one to fit your needs. You can ask the experts on the site. (I wanted a trailer for two bikes, that would work with my convertible and ended up with exactly the right fit.)

Thanks everyone.
We just got the Thule Helium 3.
Very light weight and appears to come on and off quickly. Didn't want to wait as we think that this early spring cold weather is going to turn to very warm and we want to get out riding.