Trails near Winnipesauke.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadRiver

Reaction score
One of my female coworkers is looking for a nice easy snowshoe hike on a packed trail near Winnipesauke. She and her friend are in their 60’s. Any suggestions?

Well, this is a bit of a stretch, but I'd highly recommend West Rattlesnake via the Old Bridle Path. The reason I say it's a stretch is that it's located on the side of Squam Lake as opposed to Winnipesaukee, but you still get good views of both lakes. It's just under a mile one way, very gradual and always packed out within a day of a storm. The views from the summit ledges are awesome.

Red Hill is a nice hike and great views for the effort. Mt. Major and some of the other peaks in the area are nice. I doubt there will be snow on Major after you get to the ledges, however.

dug said:
Mt. Major and some of the other peaks in the area are nice. I doubt there will be snow on Major after you get to the ledges, however.
There is snow cover (deep) all the way to the top.

I guess that does prove the winter we had! I spent three years climbing that every Thursday morning and never saw snow on the ledges. Impressive.

dug said:
I guess that does prove the winter we had! I spent three years climbing that every Thursday morning and never saw snow on the ledges. Impressive.
I guess that depends on what those three years were because I've seen it snow covered most years, but this year it has continued to build up.

Try some of the short hikes at Castle in the Clouds. Start by the pond. There is a kiosk.

carole said:
I guess that depends on what those three years were because I've seen it snow covered most years, but this year it has continued to build up.

..Mid-90's

dug said:
..Mid-90's
Winter of '94-'95 wasn't too good but the one before and after I was able to snowshoe and sled a few times. Some years is more ice than snow. But as I mentioned this has been a great year. :D

Belknap Woods

If your friend likes woods-walking rather than an uphill climb, Belknap Woods in Center Harbor is great. We go there often and snowshoe in search of wildlife. Gentle ups and downs. If you do the outer loop, I think it's about two miles.

Valerie

Trails around the lake

For little to no elevation

The Loon Center in Moultonboro 2.5 mile loop

Belknap Woods.. route 25b ..around a 4 mile loop..and get to see the largest frost heave in NH

Chamberlain Reynolds..Center Harbor..lots of variety and good views

For a little elevation gain

The trails around the Castle in Clouds are wide and varied

I agree with Rocket..hard to beat Rattlesnake though depending on what kind of vehicle you have 113 in Holderness is awe inspiring..and I'm not talking views

The Meredith town park off Parade road has a 4 mile loop with limited views north and towards Lake Waukewan

Red Hill and Cotton MT would offer better views with more vertcal involved

hope that helps

Castel in the Clouds

Try some of the short hikes at Castle in the Clouds. Start by the pond. There is a kiosk.

Grayjay, I have not hiked in this area, but had been thinking about it. When you say start by the pond - is that next to the Castle itself? Are there maps at the kiosk?

Thanks for any info!

Castle

You actually have to go in by the Castle Springs Water Co. in winter. There is a place to park at the top of the hill. If you walk away from the buildings you'll see the pond and the kiosk which has a map. There are detailed maps available from: Lakes Region Conservation Trust, they can be contacted at:

http://lrct.org/about-lrct.html

Unfortunately, there are no online maps. We've hiked there a few times. The Yellow Trail to the White Trail to Bald Knob is fire roads and easy grades the whole way and there are excellent views west to the "Big Lake", and down to the Castle.

Jumped in again, Grayjay. :)

KDT

Ossipee carriage trails

North of the Lake, the area on Ossipee Mountain has a great system of carriage trails which are used in winter as snowmobile trails. I climbed Mt Shaw but there are probably other entry points (get a smowmobile map from a local place and you'll probably find numerous points of entry). The view from the top of Shaw of the Whites (to the north) is great and the view south over the Lake from Black Snout is extraodinary.

Jumped in again, Grayjay. :)

KDT[/QUOTE]

Thats ok Kevin, you 3 jumped in and saved my day on Tri (by the way, I had a 5 day flu starting the next day).
There is a great viewpoint not far from the road at Castle. Take the bottling plant access road, north of the main entrance on 171. Park before gate up on the flats. Walk ahead to T and take a left. Bear left at a fork up to the big stable. Continue past the stable on the Mount Roberts Trail. The trail will enter the woods, follow an old winding road built by Plant and reach a great lakes region lookout on the left after about half a mile. You have to walk out to it, its not on the trail. Hopefully the signs will not be buried.

Kevin said:
You actually have to go in by the Castle Springs Water Co. in winter.
There is a parking area on Rt.171 which gives you access directly across the street to Shannon Brook trail (this is also snowmobile route). This is 1.4 miles and brings you into Shannon Pond and access to several trails from there. Parking at the bottling plan can be limited at times.

Snowmobilers only have access on Shannon Brook trail and Turtleback Mt. trail to Mt. Shaw.

carole said:
There is a parking area on Rt.171 which gives you access directly across the street to Shannon Brook trail (this is also snowmobile route). This is 1.4 miles and brings you into Shannon Pond and access to several trails from there. Parking at the bottling plan can be limited at times.

It should be noted that the Shannon Brook Trail is longer and a bit steeper than doing West Rattlesnake.

If all of the above sound too tough, the Winnipesaukee River Trail from Franklin to Northfield is mostly on an old railroad grade.
http://www.lakesregion.org/groups/winni_river.html
The W end is easy to find at the giant water wheel on Rte.3, the E end is down a narrow road behind the RR depot on Rte.132. I did the whole trail out & back this time last year, the W end is nicer if you don't do the whole thing

Boy Scout Camp

There is a Boy Scout Camp in Gilmanton Ironworks called Hidden Valley that has a great network of trails that tie in with many of the bigger lakes peaks including Mt. Major. Much of the property is under easement and is accessible for hiking. Around the camp there are some great views for very little effort.

jime said:
There is a Boy Scout Camp in Gilmanton Ironworks called Hidden Valley that has a great network of trails that tie in with many of the bigger lakes peaks including Mt. Major. Much of the property is under easement and is accessible for hiking. Around the camp there are some great views for very little effort.
Without a map it is also quite confusing and many a person has been lost (at least temporarily).