unhiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grayjay said:
Just an aside, but its interesting how taking away trails is considered a flight of fancy but adding trails is not. Its the old left brained "lets built it" attitude. I mention it, because I think that a lot of the suggestions for adding trails are fligths of fancy too. But since society is geared for development, that is somehow considered more responsible.
A very scary attitude I must say. Hello, southern NH, here you come!

As Waumbek said, it too was meant to be a flight of fancy. Lets face it, half that thread talks about routes people would like to see on Owl's Head, but the odds of that EVER happening are pretty slim. Truthfully what we do and say in these types of threads really means nothing other than stimulating simple converstaion. None of us here are in a position of making any of these things a reality, so I always come into them assuming that this is for "fun" and not for "reality"

Brian

Kevin said:
Why do you live in the mountains? Why do I wish I could live in the mountains? Because it is the mountains, I think, but I'm just a flatlander with unrealistic flatlander dreams. KDT

Kevin, I do understand that your post was a "flight of fancy" and I know that what you wished for will never happen, and certainly wasn't meant to offend. I also understand your romanticized view of living in the mountains as I used to have that view, before moving up here. What struck me about your post is that it was the nth post I've read lately from people who don't live up here making comments about how things should be, without taking into consideration the people who do live up here and their needs, or even acknowledging that there is life up here beyond vacationers. I would never intentionally try to squash someone's dreams. Dreams are vital! But the views of how life should be up here sometimes come across as insensitive to the people who live up here. My romanticized view of life up here has changed a lot, and I am putting my home back on the market this summer and heading south. I'll continue to visit the mountains, but I no longer have any desire to live up here. Been here, done that, and learned a lot in the process.

Stev-o said:
Easy... Eliminate the Kanc.

Yup. And do away with the Franconia Notch Parkway while you are at it!

Of course, that would make parking at the trailheads a challenge.... :eek:
Would be nice if they were still the carriage roads of yester-year, but, times change.

Last edited:
psst! it's ALL been a flight of fancy

KDT said: "remove the roads?"

--M: "return to nature"

grayjay mentioned: "a complete paradigm shift"

dug: "the price of progress."

KDT: "it's only a dream"

With all respect and sincerity, I am trying to follow and contribute to the common sentiments, interests, longings, imagination and theories I see here... with some theories and data I've found elsewhere.

extrapolating a bit from Northern NH to the Really Big Picture:

Mother Nature may already have the solution to Global Warming: Hubbert's peak. There's a peak we all get to bag together!

In 1956 Shell geologist Dr. Marion Hubbert predicted peak oil production in the US in 1970. He was right. Remember that energy crisis?

Hubbert also predicted World peak oil in... oh... right about now.

here ya go: http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/

"In practical and considerably oversimplified terms, this means that if 2005 was the year of global Peak Oil, worldwide oil production in the year 2030 will be the same as it was in 1980. However, the world’s population in 2030 will be both much larger (approximately twice) and much more industrialized (oil-dependent) than it was in 1980. Consequently, worldwide demand for oil will outpace worldwide production of oil by a significant margin. As a result, the price will skyrocket, oil dependant economies will crumble, and resource wars will explode."

there' a lot more to read there. Google "oil" and #4 out of 322,000,000 pages is Matthew Savinar's LATOC site.

Waumbek: "What will turn us into So. NH aint gonna happen until the second-home real estate (everybody who wants a little "cabin in the woods" up here) slump picks up again;"

maybe not:

http://dieoff.org/page125.htm

In 1989, I concluded that the life-expectancy of Industrial Civilization is horridly short. This hypothesis was defined in terms of a measurable index, world energy-use per person, and named the "transient-pulse theory of Industrial Civilization." I sketched its maximum point at 1990, followed by a persistent decline... - Richard C. Duncan. "Olduvai theory".

perhaps IT has always been a flight of fancy.

peace,

ken

Squintyken said:
As a result, the price will skyrocket, oil dependant economies will crumble, and resource wars will explode."

First they wanted to remove a couple of trails.
Then they wanted to remove some roads.
And now the whole world is coming to an end!

This has truly been an apocalyptic thread! I think I'll start taking heroin.