Verbal exchange

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How much do you talk while hiking?

• non-stop

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • 50-50 - I talk about as much as I listen to others

Votes: 44 52.4%
  • only when spoken to

Votes: 12 14.3%
  • occasionally I grunt something

Votes: 9 10.7%
  • never

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • other

Votes: 9 10.7%

• Total voters

carole

Reaction score
A private comment to me prompted this question: How much talking do you do while hiking. Solo hiking can count also as some have some interesting exchanges even then.

When I'm hiking with others, it's usually pretty social. So the conversation is a pretty balanced give and take. On a four day trip in the Whites this summer, one young member of our group never stopped talking or singing the entire time. By the fourth day he had earned the trail name "talk radio."

Occasionally I grunt something...but that's pretty much how it is all the time, hiking or not.
-vegematic

Depends on who and how many I'm hiking with. I love getting into deep philosophical or scientific conversations. I've especially had some good ones when discussing books we've read, intend to read, or haven't gotten to yet.

Kevin

I can usually tell when my companions have had enough conversation by one of two methods. Their pace quickens, or I notice blood coming out of their ear canals. :eek:

Peakbagr said:
I can usually tell when my companions have had enough conversation by one of two methods. Their pace quickens, or I notice blood coming out of their ear canals. :eek:

My pace is what it is, but I was wondering what those red stains on the shoulders of my shirt were! :D

Some have the ability to talk in a normal voice while ascending steep slopes. I usually manage to eke out short one-breath sentences, or "Yep!" or something intelligent like that. I am not the most verbose person on the planet, and I enjoy listening to my hiking companions. Sometimes though, its nice to have just silence and listen to ones surroundings. This is awkward for some to do (not for me). Depends upon who I'm with.

For me its probably 50/50. But when out with McRat I don't think anyone else gets a word in edgewise :D :p ;) .

I don't know how many bad jokes one can hold in their heads, but Russ has not run out of them yet! "I hate Indian givers....no wait, I take that back."
:eek:

Brian

I feel like I never talk but my hiking companions probably feel like I never shut up - seriously, the group of folks I hike with the most have a very good mix of talking, complaining, suffering and being quiet at times. I think we could possibly craft a nightclub routine out of some of our talk... :eek:

Depends who I am hiking with and whether I have enough air to gasp out a few words. I find it's one of the best times for me to THINK, though my mind tends to develop ultra-ADD and can't stay on one subject for more than 15 seconds.

I sang a stirring rendition of "Feelings" on South Kennebego Divide last weekend. I guess that would be "other"

Grizzly country..........almost non-stop by necessity

Alone.....................occasionally talk to myself

To passing strangers.............."Hi"

With wife.................occasionally, but usually we dig the silence and enjoy the sounds of the woods

With friend...............once, the discussion turned to whether his camera gets heavier the more pictures he takes because he's capturing all those photons...yeah yeah we know...rest of that hike was 3 hours of silence

sapblatt said:
I feel like I never talk but my hiking companions probably feel like I never shut up - seriously, the group of folks I hike with the most have a very good mix of talking, complaining, suffering and being quiet at times. I think we could possibly craft a nightclub routine out of some of our talk... :eek:

That sounds about right. Talking is fine, bad jokes ease the pain. "How bad can it be?" is not a great question to ask on any hike I'm involved in :p .

I talk to my pack. It replies in 2 languages. My pack likes Stephen King.

When I'm hiking with the boys, it's usually a long string of insults hurled back and forth, peppered with things that's couldn't be said in an office enviornment.

When I hike alone - silence.

I voted 50-50, some of this depends on who you hike with & how many in your group. I seem to recall hiking with Sherpa K & the talking was almost non-stop 50-50. I don't think either of us were upset about that, on the other hand some people I hike with I know prefer a quieter trail experience so I try & tone it down some.

So far, I think the only person who has responded that I've hiked with is Carole. It might be more interesting if more people reply to see if I was actually right, maybe others consider me a windbag :eek: (people with thin skin should not ask for that kind of feedback)

Solo hiking, a great way to learn more about yourself than you probably really wanted to know. (no one but yourself for company) Alone for 15+ hours in the pemi or alone on a wind & ice swept peak in winter will do that to you. I imagine out west or AK magnifies that some....

Give as much as I Get

Usually, it is 50/50. However, I have a unique hiking buddy that talks continuously. Mainly, this is ok, because I am at the front of the line and as I age my hearing is in decline.

My buddy's range of conversation subjects is very broad, going from physics to 60's music. He is great to have along when we hike in grizzly country.