VFTT Secret Sign

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
uh oh!

JPD1600 said:
Perhaps some folks on this forum may want to hide the fact that they are VFTTers in order to avoid ruining the reputation of the entire group. Just last week, while driving from the Whites to Baxter State Park on a one way dirt road in a construction zone, I was cut off by some jerk in a Green Subaru Wagon with Massachusetts Plate #9769 H2 . As the offending party raced passed me, I saw the VFTT sticker in his rear window. I have not met, nor hiked with anyone from this board yet, but watching someone behave like that and put himself and myself in danger with his reckless driving certainly did not make me eager to meet any more VFTTers.
i may know who that person is. i'll have to confirm it first. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Brownie said:
Ah, that is ….so .....70’s!
Bummer when your original post goes south, huh? :D

And what is the trail sign again?

Brownie

Sorry, Doc! My bad!

Back to the sign! I like the 'V' with the fingers, like Mr. Spock.

spencer said:
If you aren't passing someone, stay the hell out of the left lane.

Why is that so hard?

spencer

I'm with Spence - I'm a traditional Nh driver who still adheres to / is annoyed by this phenomena in the state to the south (and has crept into southern NH)

N.j.

I must say everyone has shown some real class here by not mentioning other types of "Profiled" drivers. Then we would really have something to talk about went it came to "Secret Signs"!

Mad Townie~~~~

YES! It was you!

Cool!
Now I know!
& the views from the top were fantastic that day weren't they?
A perfect, pristine day for the Ridge! We could see for miles & miles!

Thanx for the response! That's fun!

Awesome now I'll know to respond more quickly when someone says
"The VFTT are great!!"
& make some new friends! ;)

originally posted by Tom Rankin
I don't like it, but NY Law also allows you to remain in the left lane on an Interstate. Certainly not advised, IMHO.
For trucks, I think this is only when the road has only two lanes in each direction. Three, you have to leave the lane. Enforced? Another matter.

originally posted by post'r boy
i may know who that person is. i'll have to confirm it first.
Am I the only one picturing him in his garage now?

originally posted by Tom Rankin
Even though you appear to be a Yankee fan from Queens
Being originally from Queens, I can confidently say, we're predominantly Mets fans.

As for the sign, I think I'll just move my patch to my hat to leave my hands free with my treking poles in a defensive position just in case someone is offended by VFTT, my driving, my (sarcastic) humor, etc.

Jim

Fun thread with weird twist...

Yes, there was a decision several years ago from the AMC board to be able to recognize others -- one person admitted to hiking with pink laces and the "sign" became something pink-- laces or ribbon tied to your back, pack or otherwise. This pic from G 5.0, note the "pink" surveyor tape in my vintage Pivetta boots.
101-0177_IMG.jpg

Lately, having to hike in the leather apron that is adorned with a VFTT patch (God, I can't wait for September) anybody from this site should know me. [Scared me from a recent post to learn that my name was raked into a conversation :eek:] Besides, the apron covers up my VFTT shirt, but not my ball cap with a VFTT patch. Anyone may have seen the van in the parking lot with my VFTT sticker, anyway. Oh - the other patch on my backpack...

Maybe I need counseling. My daughter accused me of being "obsessed" with this board. She had it wrong – I’m just a passionate hiker in need of sharing with those who “understand” the passion. That justifies it, right? (I'm okay, you're okay)

More on recognizing one another: maybe we have a certain smell... like dogs we should go up and smell others. Only those on this board (or this thread) would know why someone was smelling them. Now, right upfront I suggest that, being of an upright genus, we probably don't need to sniff anywhere below, say... chest level.

Speeding Grn Sūb – who’d have thought? Well, I have one in mind… :)

Last edited:
Brownie said:
However in Maine, as with many other "big rig" states, truckers are allowed to remain in the left lane.

I thought it was Federal law that on interstate highways with more than 2 lanes, trucks are only allowed in the rightmost 2 lanes.

It's certainly that way in Mass, whether posted or not.

(ps - I disagree with posting a license plate; however ... it does absolve me of blame here!)

Finally - the biggest problem in Mass. with people trolling in the left lane ... is cars with NY plates. The Mass. plates do tend to get out of the lane when prodded. Why the same drivers then turn into idiots when they leave Mass, I don't know.

Last edited:
It does irk me if I am going 75 mph in the left lane and passing everyone in sight that someone comes right up on my tail :mad: ...I am speeding, and I am not going to speed any faster!
A MA driver with a good driving record....

Finally - the biggest problem in Mass. with people trolling in the left lane ... is cars with NY plates.

Staying off the subject for a moment and speaking on behalf of the New Yorkers, I fully agree with this statement. I, however, fall into the "someone comes right up on my tail" category. I drive fast. Sorry. :)

As for the secret sign, I'm going to stick with the original Dr. Wu suggestion and scream "Alligator egg!" at everyone that I pass on the trail. It's original, weird and totally in keeping with the mentality of the guys I usually hike with.

(whoa, what am I thinkin', tickin' people off on my first post.)

Right lane, left lane, car, truck whatever.
The little rectangular white signs on the side of the interstate say;

Speed Limit 65 (or 55)

This is not a friendly suggestion, it's the Law.
If you are driving in an agressive manner/speeding you are breaking the law.
If you roar up behind some bluehair(or me) that is driving the legal limit or below and they are not going fast enough for your taste, that is their right. They are within the law, not you.
Now, in the days of 3.00+$ gas prices, slowing down a bit won't hurt anyone.

I plain on driving the speep limit or below from now on. If someone gives me the one finger salute, I'll take it as a compliment.
If I can get their attention by posting their plate numberon a web site, I'll do that too.

The law also says, depending on which particular NE state we're in, "keep right except to pass" or "slower traffic must keep right".

If a vehicle in the left lane wants to pass someone, that someone is obligated to not block the flow of traffic in that lane unless they for some reason cannot move to the right. No driver has the right to take policing of the traffic flow into their own hands.

bubba said:
More on recognizing one another: maybe we have a certain smell... like dogs we should go up and smell others. Only those on this board (or this thread) would know why someone was smelling them. Now, right upfront I suggest that, being of an upright genus, we probably don't need to sniff anywhere below, say... chest level.

Speeding Grn Sūb – who’d have thought? Well, I have one in mind… :)

Chest level, eh?? Now isn't that convenient for some... :p ;)

Green suby?? I can tell you one that came immediately to mind! :D

originally postted by sapblatt
It does irk me if I am going 75 mph in the left lane and passing everyone in sight that someone comes right up on my tail
I let them pass to flush out any radar.

we now return you to your regularly scheduled program...

Status
Not open for further replies.