Volunteer Pemi Bridge Work Site Clean Up Planning Thread

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

una_dogger

Reaction score
I've gotten the go ahead today from the USFS to help arrange a volunteer effort to remove materials staged at the old Pemi Bridge site. :)

We will get transportation to and fro the Wilderness Boundary -- however, we will be using good old fashioned muscle power to remove materials, in accordance with the Wilderness Mgmt Plan.

So, lets start planning!

In addition to signing up to help with the carry out, it would be great if there are those here with a good knowledge of the Wilderness Plan - to help guide our planning, our work and keep us in accordance as we carry out our goals.

We can save our grumbling about the Wilderness Mgmt Plan for when we are lugging all that old timber, tools, tarps and buckets out by hand-- lets keep it off this thread, please. :)

I will serve as the communications liason as we develop our plan.

So, who is in??

Thanks in advance,
Sabrina

I haven't seen the pile o' stuff that needs to be removed....do you have a rough idea of how long this will take? 1 day? 1 weekend? more?

I'd like to make it, depending on the timing. Were you thinking this summer, or fall?

Kudos for taking the proverbial bull by the horns!

Wilderness plan = no wheels

This will be hand labor. Dragging sleds ok.

As we get volunteers and develop the plan, we will need to come up with a few dates -- the Pemi District only has one full time salaried trail maintainer (sad but true) so we will need to coordinate a day that also works for the FS.

We will spend one day working.

Thanks For your interest, Jason!

Paradox, are you volunteering? ;-)

Last edited:
Okay, don't everybody jump at once! ;-)

Some more details, we have a maximum work crew size limit of ten.

The USFS has some sturdy field style frame packs we may use.

Another volunteer group is planning to remove the cables, so that will primarily leave metal peices, lumber, etc.

China has a tradition of requiring the family of a condemned criminal to pay for the bullet which will execute the family member.

Somehow cleaning up the mess created by the USFS seems like a corollary to the above.

China has a tradition of requiring the family of a condemned criminal to pay for the bullet which will execute the family member.

Somehow cleaning up the mess created by the USFS seems like a corollary to the above.

LOOOOOOVE your analogy!!!!!

Question: who pays the disability insurance in case of injury on this "activity"?

Who is john galt?

Wilderness plan = no wheels

This will be hand labor. Dragging sleds ok.

As we get volunteers and develop the plan, we will need to come up with a few dates -- the Pemi District only has one full time salaried trail maintainer (sad but true) so we will need to coordinate a day that also works for the FS.

We will spend one day working.

Thanks For your interest, Jason!

Paradox, are you volunteering? ;-)
I will make every attempt to be there, but without a date ???

I had replied to the thread describing this litter, partly in jest, that it could be floated out. Might not be a bad idea after all. I can envision "river drivers" wearing waders lining the timbers like kayaks.

...We can save our grumbling about the Wilderness Mgmt Plan for when we are lugging all that old timber, tools, tarps and buckets out by hand-- lets keep it off this thread, please. :)...

Sabrina made a simple polite request for this thread. Maybe we should honor that small request.

Sabrina, I agree with others above regarding a date. Once you pick a date I can give you a more firm yes/no on my availability. I'm interested.

I'm in as long as the timing works out. Thanks for getting this going!

Question: who pays the disability insurance in case of injury on this "activity"?
Recognized volunteers are normally eligible for the same injury coverage that the FS provides to it's employees. Ask your FS contact for details.

I had replied to the thread describing this litter, partly in jest, that it could be floated out. Might not be a bad idea after all. I can envision "river drivers" wearing waders lining the timbers like kayaks.

Because the creosote in the timbers is toxic, putting it in the river isn't a good idea, and I believe the FS wouldn't/couldn't use that approach. I suspect this is part of the reason the timbers are tarped - to prevent any (more) creosote from being washed into the river by rainfall.

Recognized volunteers are normally eligible for the same injury coverage that the FS provides to it's employees. Ask your FS contact for details.

For example, those of us who volunteer on SAR teams during missions are covered by state disability through Fish & Game.

But, on this thread, I will politely decline to participate in this particular effort.

Hey, I think there's this other thread going where you can debate the responsibility of clean up on...;-)

This is the "volunteer to clean up the forest no matter who put the crap there or why" thread!

Love you guys, but...sign up or _____!

regarding dates::: are Saturday's or Sunday better?
Does any one object to potentially doing this on the 4th of July weekend??

Injury concerns-- this may be "at your own risk" --- all Good questions.

"

Last edited: