Want to catch a ride and split the cost of gas?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crystaljc

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Saturday October 1st me and a girlfriend are leaving at 9am to drive up to Franconia NH. We will be staying overnight in a Hotel. We will be leaving to come back Sunday the 2nd at 5pm. If you would like to catch a ride and just chip in for gas we have room for 2 other people in the car provided you have your own accomodations. I live in Dudley Massachusetts and will be traveling 290 to 495 to 93. I would imagine that there is a few park n rides along the way where we could meet to pick you up. If interested please send me a PM.

Thanks,

Crystal,

You could probably save some more gas by heading up route 3 (off 495 in the Lowell area), which becomes the Everett Turnpike in NH then merges with 93 up in Hooksett.
Waive as you go by!

Saving Miles = Saving Gas

Crystal

Wildpeaks is right, you can save about 20 miles going that way (at least)

Have a great weekend. :)

Thanks Guys I will have to give it a try. It is funny because I have been going up since I was a kid and because that was always the way my mom went, I just followed suit now that I drive myself. It usually takes me about 3 hours to get up there. So I will let you know what I think!

Thanks,

Yup!
It's kind of like the story of the third generation girl, now married, and everytime she cooked a roast, she would cut the ends off & toss them out. After seeing this many times, the husband asks why she does that. "I don't know, my mother always did it".
So, the girl asks her mom why she did it. "I don't know, my mother always did it".
So they both go to the grandmother and ask her why she did it.
After a little thought, she says: "Oh, that was because my pan was too small & the roast wouldn't fit".

Yes, we all tend to do the things that we saw & were taught while growing up. But it's good to stand back every now & then and ask why!

If the blind follow the blind, then they both fall in the ditch together! ;)

Thanks Tom for the little story. You know I wasn't just following, I really always thought that was the shortest way. Anyway I have a question about the new route. Are there tolls?

Thanks,

Unfortunately, your tolls will double. You will still hit the $0.75 tolls in Hooksett because they are after you rejoin I-93, and you will pay an additional $0.75 toll on the Everett Tpk in Bedford, NH.

Keep in mind that if you go this way, it's Rte 3 in MA, but in NH when it becomes the Everett Tpk it's Rte 3 for a little ways, then unnumbered, then it's 293 for a bit. Just follow the Turnpike, not the numbered routes. And when going north, do not follow the "I-293 to I-93 south" turnoff. That undoes everything you've just done. Just keep going straight until the road just "becomes" I-93 on the north side of Manchester.

Crystal,

MJ is correct. But the $.75 is worth it to save dollars in fuel and time.
One thing you can do to cut down on the cost of tolls is to buy a roll of tokens at one of the booths that has a person in it. (the booths to the right).
$5.00 will buy you $10.00 worth of tokens. Now your still only paying $.75 for both!

WildPeaks said:
One thing you can do to cut down on the cost of tolls is to buy a roll of tokens at one of the booths that has a person in it.

As of September 1, 2005, the sale of tokens was discontinued. The only way to get a discount now is to have an EZ-Pass transponder that was issued by the state of NH. Anyone in any state can get one, but it has to be NH-issued (not a Mass Fast Lane, or a NJ EZ pass, etc.)

WildPeaks said:
Crystal,

One thing you can do to cut down on the cost of tolls is to buy a roll of tokens at one of the booths that has a person in it. (the booths to the right).
$5.00 will buy you $10.00 worth of tokens.

If you talking of buying tokens in NH they stopped selling them on Sept.1 this year (though if you have them you can use them through Dec. this year).

Hey, maybe I will be jumping in your car as you drive by Westford!

I can't believe they took that little goodie away. :(
My idea of an EZ-Pass is NO toll booths! They are a major source of traffic jams at times. And paying a toll for 1 or 2 lanes on the Spaulding & Everett TPK's, is worse. Oh well. Just venting. No need to start a riot.

What's the deal with EZ-Pass?

It's around 30% off your tolls if you use a NH EZ-Pass on the NH tolls.

A little off-topic but the thread has diverged a bit anyway. I have a fast lane transponder. In the past few weeks sometimes it has worked in the easy pass lane with a message "go easy pass" (Hampton, Dover, Rochester) and sometimes there is a message saying "call easy pass". No particular pattern. Has this happened to anyone else?

slowandsteady said:
A little off-topic but the thread has diverged a bit anyway. I have a fast lane transponder. In the past few weeks sometimes it has worked in the easy pass lane with a message "go easy pass" (Hampton, Dover, Rochester) and sometimes there is a message saying "call easy pass". No particular pattern. Has this happened to anyone else?

Yes that happed to me. It is o.k. now. They might have had a bug. I called them and they said all was fine and the toll for them wasn't taken out of my account. Go figure. I thought I'd get a ticket in the mail but it's been a month at least and no ticket.
It happened a few times. It's been fine now for a couple of weeks or more.

CaptCaper said:
Yes that happed to me. It is o.k. now. They might have had a bug. I called them and they said all was fine and the toll for them wasn't taken out of my account. Go figure. I thought I'd get a ticket in the mail but it's been a month at least and no ticket.
It happened a few times. It's been fine now for a couple of weeks or more.

Thanks for responding. Figure if it happened to me it probably happened to others.