Water Crossings in the Carters

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthShore

Reaction score
We are planning to hike the Carters starting at the Imp trail on Tuesday and ending at the hut, then hiking the Wildcats back to Pinkham on Wednesday.

I know its been on the dry side lately, but the forecasts are calling for the possibility of a ton of rain between now and Tuesday morning and I'm concerned about water crossings. This morning's runs of both of the major American weather models are showing 4 inches or more of rain in this area.

The only thing I could find in writing was that the Imp Brook on the north branch can get dangerous. Is the south branch any better? I know we could take 19MB straight to the hut (which would be a little bit of a dissappointment peakbagging-wise)...any crossing issues on NMB?

FWIW, the weather for Tuesday doesn't sound too bad...maybe a couple more showers and Wednesday sounds fine.

Thanks in advance,

Ed

Last edited:
We went up the Imp trail yesterday from Camp Dodge and I can say that things were extremely dry over that way. You can see the report here: http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=41518

Unless there is a major storm between now and when you leave you won't have any problems.

Thanks Ed. Would you consider today a major storm or will it take more rain than is expected to get a major response in the brooks?

Plan A is to start up the north branch of the Imp trail.

Last edited:
Unless it's raining a whole lot more over there than here in Bridgton I don't think you'll have any difficulty with the crossings. The type of event that causes a problem is usually a heavy spring runoff or a major storm.

I just don't think you'll have anything to worry about.

Water on the South Section of the Imp or the Camp Dodge option would make them messy but not dangerous.

have not been on North Imp in those conditions. If really worried about, you can go up South & then make the detour to the Imp Face. (not too far & elevation change isn't huge) if socked in no reason to go but if summits are socked in but Imp Face is open, it's a real good view. (views around Middle Carter are quite good too, IMO)

There was a lot of rain in NH last night and today but I would say the mountain brooks should decline 24-48 hrs after it ends

There is one crossing on N Imp that I would call medium, several on S Imp that I would call nuisance

At one time the 19MB crossings were bridged but did one wash out?

19 mile brook bridges

i can add that i was also in the area this past sat--bridges are up on the 19 mile brook trail, to carter dome trail anyway, so no water crossings there to worry about...

--carla

We went with plan A and north Imp. Lots of nuisance crossings but the only place I went in over my boot was in a large puddle on the ridge. The rain continued all day and the Carter-Moriah trail was a series of connected puddles. Saw very few other hikers all day. Most of the rain wasn't heavy and it wasn't as bad as it sounds. Saw millions the next morning hiking over the Wildcats in sunshine.