waterworks in rosendale?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlos

Reaction score
wondering if anyone has beta on a area in Rosendale NY known as waterworks or giants ledges?
From what i have found on the web its a world class bouldering area and may have been recently acquired by the Mohonk Preserve.
Been checking all my maps and have come up with nothing.....thanks!

I have heard a bit of the buzz about the waterworks from Gunk rock climbers, but as I am not into technical climbing myself I have not visited the area. My understanding is that it is on or near the Rosendale waterworks property, off Mountain Road. It may be near the town park on Hillcrest Lane, near the center of this this map. I believe Still Reservoir is just to the east of this park. I have driven that section of Mountain Road, but not recently, and I believe I have seen town property signs in that area.

By googling I found a couple references on the GCC (Gunks Climbing Coalition) website which you may have already seen:
http://www.gunksclimbers.org/projects.shtml
http://www.gunksclimbers.org/news.shtml (page down to the January 2008, and August 13th entries)

It sounds like the plan is for the Open Space Institute, OSI, to initially purchase the property, with the town retaining its water supply. The property will then be sold to or operated by the Mohonk Preserve. It is similar to the OSI ownership of the Ellenville water supply at Sam's Point with the Preserve being operated by the Nature Conservancy. I look forward to exploring the area as it appears both bouldering and rock climbing will be available.

On a historical note the Rosendale Water Works company was established in 1894 (history here) but was not fully funded nor supported by the village of Rosendale. Subsequently a disastrous 1895 fire destroyed most of the village of Rosendale, which finally led to the waterworks being completed at Still Reservoir in 1896.

Last edited:
very interesting and helpful links....thanks!
I will keep this thread updated with any new findings.
Happy holidays.

Sorry for the thread drift, but does anyone want to climb the mighty Joppenburgh? :D

We could make it really rough, by ascending at night in a blizzard! :D

We actually tried a South face assault recently but were turned back because it turns into a technical climb just before the top. But I'm sure there are other ways to get up there instead of the cliffs.

Sorry for the thread drift, but does anyone want to climb the mighty Joppenburgh? :D

We actually tried a South face assault recently but were turned back because it turns into a technical climb just before the top. But I'm sure there are other ways to get up there instead of the cliffs.

i pass Joppenburgh many times a week and always wonder, would love to give it a go!
bushwacked up the south face of bonticou after a good snowfall last winter......got a little nervous after going up some tricky ledges i knew would be tough to downclimb but ultimately found myself at the top surrounded by powder....awesome

Last edited:

I never even knew that craggy little hill had a name! I'd be up for that expedition some time.

Matt

I never even knew that craggy little hill had a name! I'd be up for that expedition some time.

Matt
For you it might violate a 'rule' of hiking that the hike be longer than the drive! :eek: There is a historical marker, mining pits, and some ruins we could explore, that might lengthen the hike a little! Or, we could even do it starting at New Paltz! :D

For you it might violate a 'rule' of hiking that the hike be longer than the drive! :eek: There is a historical marker, mining pits, and some ruins we could explore, that might lengthen the hike a little! Or, we could even do it starting at New Paltz! :D

Interesting idea. We could use the rail trail for the "long approach." Might lend sort of an expedition feel. But actually I am moving soon and it's looking like it might be to Rosendale coincidentally. If that happens I will be living right near this mighty peak.

Matt

That land is not open for climbing yet. As far as I know it is an ongoing process and could take years for it to be sold, transferred, opened for bouldering...