weeklong canister rentals

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moonrock

Reaction score
I have a Garcia, but my buds need to rent three more for a 4-man, 5-day trip, starting at the Upper Works (driving from Albany). Where is good, convenient place from which to rent ? Albany EMS ?

I decided to buy one and it was one of the best decisions I made. I have the new redesigned Bear Vault (change in the cover from 2 to 1 piece). Nothing like pulling out the canister, taking what I want, cooking (while sitting on the canister), and then tossing it in the scrub - no hassle of hanging. The added weight is easily offset by the convenience (and insurance!) of its use.

Yeah, I know, they are expensive :(

SherpaKroto said:

Yeah, I know, they are expensive :(

Sherpa I am with you! I bought one and it is the best investment I made. I now do not have to worry all night wondering if my food got ripped off :D

Moonrock you guys are doing the right thing by not contributing to the bear problem! :)

Good Luck!

Thanks for the info, and the kudos.

Yeah, I took the plunge a year ago, and agree with those folks who swear by canisters (not at them). Mind you, we NEVER lost a food hang, doing spectacularly well over the past 18 years with the double-overhang method, even at Colden/Flowed Lands.

But last September, 2 of us we packed a load of some recent losers' bear-trash out of Marcy Dam. [Got a nice dental impression off a juice-bottle]. I say loser because it took us just 2 minutes to police the location (another use for trekking poles) ! And it stinks, having to eat dinner outside camp.

I also use my canister hiking in NC and VA, for convenience, as a seat, and because tall trees aren't always available. Tho all I encountered there were 1) insomniac kamikaze mice, and 2) a herd of small SKUNKS !, appearing (like holstein squirrels) right after dinner !
What's next: Flocks of Great Horned Owls (accompanied by Wagnerian music - LOL)? :D

Correction: Early on, we did lose food, ONCE, to raccoons, at Flowed Lands. From a (shopping/burlap ?) bag, hung one foot from the tree trunk, and right over the tent ! Does that even have to count ??

LOL: My tent mate asked me if it was raining (Raining gorp !).