Whacked Weekend

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Periwinkle

Reaction score
Now why is it no surprise that I'm posting the Trip Report on this? :D

Seriously, I'll spare you all my usual commentary and skip to one of the highlights: revealing the true nature of Mr. X...he just likes to throw fuel on the fire.... ;)

We 'whacked' and got 'whacked' but not beaten

I didn’t get to the campground to meet the ‘celebrities’ but did have a successful and wild bushwhack with four others (Michelle aka chickety, Steve M, NH_Mtn_Hiker, and Diane) over the Middle and West peaks of Osceola. We got soaked, we got whacked, we got off track but we got through and accomplished our mission and we didn’t get beaten. I have an even stronger appreciation and respect for trip leaders (especially those who lead in winter conditions or a bushwhack). This was a bushwhack in winter conditions and a good group makes the trip work. Thanks for working with me!!

I had a blast attending the festivities following the "Whacking". Yes, lighter fluid is my passion, it's who I am... Seriously, I enjoyed talking with you guys, and girls. Thanks to all that shared what they did. Thanks to Sherpa... Thanks to Warren for not throwing me into the fire after my ranting on BMX. And I have to thank my sponser PBR, for which without, I would have never had the balls to dump ridiculous amounts of fuel into an already huge fire. Of course we can't forget to pay homage to the vehicle we all speak through, Darrens site.

Rock the house y'all!

Last edited:
I may have been in the "back" but I truly enjoyed "whacking" with Poster, Frodo, Stinkyfeet, MJ, and Swamp. Actually I am kinda proud of myself for keeping up. ;)

Post'r man! U da man!! :) :D

Can't wait for the next one! Maybe that nice lady with the dog will have the trail put in by then! ;) ;)

message in a bottle

I forgot to mention that to those readers of VFTT who left us a note in the cannister on West Osceola "to VFFT whackfest..." (you know who you are), thanks for thinking of us. We did collect quite a bit of new pink flagging :p :D

Forgot to mention our whack! I was fortunate to hike with LittleBear, JohnS, and BoB up, and over Mt Kancamagus. It is a testament to their abilities that they would a) allow me to plot out the route, b) still follow me :) We had a great go of it, and aside from one short 10 minute "course correction", we marched (ok, plowed/scratched) right up to the summit, then cruised across the ridge to the sub summit, down to Livermore Pass and out to the Kanc. FWIW, if you want it easy, head in to Livermore Pass. If you want more of a challenge, head directly up from the Kanc. This was a sweet hike!

Here's a view looking somewere across the Kanc. I haven't exactly decided what it is I was looking at ;), but think it is toward Sawyer Pond (with Green Cliff in the center)

Last edited:
Sherpa...
Great pic!! It speaks volumes about the day's conditions. Congratulations to your group for persevering. You must have been in full snowboarding regalia.
Our threesome was not quite as well prepared. We got up to 3250' climbing up Huntington from the north, (great views off to Hancock's Arrow slide and beyond to Bondcliff) before concluding it was no longer "fun" and aborting the climb. (Hypothermia is no fun). In taking another look at the topo today, I see our climb was the same steepness as the Vose Spur bushwhack and the S. Hancock trail...Hence we were flailing away with all appendages through those snow crusted spruce and over steep ledge, and the conditions took their toll.
Another bushwhack, and more lessons learned! I'll be back!
Nice to visit briefly with y'all in the morning at the campsite. The three of us had other committments and could could only day trip....
A tip o' the hat to Post'r who made it all happen....
JT

I'm sorry I missed it. I told Sherpa I was originally planning on going but then my mom got seriously ill and I wanted to stay and assist my dad with her care. Glad you folks had a good time though, it seemed like a beautiful weekend. Down by NYC, it was shorts and t-shirt weather as it got to like 68degrees on Sunday. I went out on a bike ride in shorts and a jersey and was actually very warm.

Jay

JT, yes, that was about the size of it. we got, uh, a bit wet :). Keep me in mind for your next 'whack (particularly the Maine ones next year!). I really enjoy that kind of walk in the woods (a bit drier is better though...)

BTW, for anyone interested, I saw the Doc yesterday: no foot surgery required so far. It held together well enough over the weekend and yesterday's bone scan shows that it is healing. Woohoo!

That's good news re the foot, Sherpa, and a great job by you and BoB getting us up and back out on Saturday. We may have gotten a bit wet but it sure was a pleasure to walk on soft snow again!

:eek: I think I saw Mr X in the "Seed Of Chucky" previews on TV....Better watch out :eek:

I am SOOOO bummed I missed this trip. But it was good to see recently-married friends, and I'll be coming back up to the mountains and hopefully seeing everyone again soon!

I don't know, I can't keep up any more, sleeping while you all were partying around the campfire. Pat, teejay, and I hiked the NE Cannonball in a foot of snow. I can only imagine how wet you whackers got - we were getting bombarded with clumps of snow on the way down. On Sunday we did a leg stretcher up and down Loon Mt. before heading home.
Peri, you've got lots of friends on the mainland, don't forget!

wacked weekend

Now that my computer is operatin' again,just wanna say it was a great weekend,meetin new folks and hangin' by the fire...Mr X 'keep those avatars a comin,anyone need an extra tooth??? :) (Stinky?)

West Osceola/Middle Osceola bushwhack

So someone put out a welcome sign on West Osceola? I'd be seriously suspicious of Dennis C. on that one. Some years ago he heard that we were going to go to West Osceola and went up there the day before to put up a register for us to sign. Definitely the right sort of spirit!

Allow me to politely congratulate the hikers who bailed before completing their intended routes.

1. The mountains will always be there, be sure that you are too.
2. Finding the peak is optional; finfing your car is not.

Congrats to all.

I'm not so sure it was a welcome sign - more like a 'go away' sign. :p Some people don't like to share??? There was no canister in July of 2003 on West (there was the same jar on Middle). The new canister on West had a notepad which was getting moist so we put it in a ziplock before returning it to the canister.