whackin' and avoiding taking one in the eye

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would never bushwack without eye protection, but I agree about the discomfort of goggles. Any place that sells tools will carry eye protection, both goggles and types that look just like sunglasses. I have a pair from a hardware store that are very comfortable. $10.00 :cool:

Saturday, I was flogged by a million hobblebush ( found a gorgeous antler!) Can't imagine doing that without eye protection.

Happy Trails!

You've gotta have the eye protection on the bushwhacks. I didn't and suffered a nasty abrasion shortly after I had Laser Eye surgery. The Dr. who did the surgery wasn't impressed when I explained how I injured my eye. I was still healing from the surgery and taking steroid drops. He said the steroids put me at an increased risk of infection so I went back on antibiotic's.

I don't buskwhack much but I now make it a point to carry a pair of safety glasses in my pack.

Glenn

I've had corneal abrasions, 1 a really serious one in the woods, and a couple around the yard.
I wear glasses, but its easy to take a branch over the frame right into the eyeball. I carry a lightweight safety goggles. Yep, they are sweaty, and they impair vision a bit, but when I do remember to put them on, I can plow thru the spruce and scratchies without bobbing and weaving like Mike Tyson to avoid branches.
And Mavs00 was too nice to tell you, I'm one of his woods "hazards". I tend to carry my carbide-tipped hiking pole, handle-first under the armpit thru the thick stuff, with the pole straight back as I spruce-slalom. On the other hand, if he didn't hike so flippin fast, he wouldn't run into the carbides with his face.

I have never worn goggles/glasses etc in all my years of bushwacking, I've tried them a couple of times, but because I sweat so much, I've found them to be much more of a hinderance than a help. I always try to be careful, but I know that I've been lucky too. :rolleyes:

Peakbagr said:
And Mavs00 was too nice to tell you, I'm one of his woods "hazards". I tend to carry my carbide-tipped hiking pole, handle-first under the armpit thru the thick stuff, with the pole straight back as I spruce-slalom. On the other hand, if he didn't hike so flippin fast, he wouldn't run into the carbides with his face.

Don't worry my friend, I'm just waiting on the perfect branch for you. I owe you. ;)

I punctured my eye on an apple tree in the front yard while feeding my husky. I turned just right and it slipped past my prescription glasses and into my eye. The wife (now ex) drove me to the hospital at 40 mph with an amazing amount of blood running down my face and both eyes bandaged. I thought I'd never get there and asked if I should drive. They said it was a clean puncture, irrigated it to remove the debris, and sent me home. I was back to work that afternoon with a stavin' headache (I was the only one who could run that system at the time, so I HAD to work), but it's healed fine with no issues.

I usually wear my sunglasses, which are a little oversized now that I've dropped so much weight, and my boonie hat. I'm going to get some of these, which are available in prescription.

at our camp, we make the campers wear lab glasses. eye's are protected, plus everyone looks rediculous. it's a win-win.