What clothing to bring this time of year above treeline?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kurchian

Reaction score
I'm planning a hut-to-hut from Lakes to Madison in mid-July.

I want to travel light but don't want to be foolhardy. I would appreciate advice on what clothing is appropriate to pack for this trip at this time of year?

Last week at BSP I had, and used: short and longsleeve Poly shirts, fleece vest, rain/wind gear (tops and bottoms), zip off pants and poly gloves. A winter hat (tuque or the like) is also helpful (I wish I had brought mine), and a hat/bandanna that fits snug so it doesn't get blown off. Being comfortable makes it a lot nicer. I also carry goretex liner mitts which are great if it rains

In addition to the summer uniform of shorts, short sleeve top, and hat, I'd carry gear to deal with heavy rain and high winds. I'd take good gaitors, rain pants, a waterproof shell with hood, a wool hat, good gloves, and a decent fleece/insulating layer for my upper body. I'd also pack polypro longjohns and top. I'd include a good waterproof pack cover or plastic trash bags to line my pack. Make sure you bring sun screen, if the weather is nice you'll get a lot of exposure. It's not unusual to get July days with driving rain, gusting winds, and 40ish temps, classic conditions to develop hypothermia. You can also fill your water bottles with hot water at the hut if you get such a day.

What they said. I'd hope the weather was nice enough to wear only nylon shorts and a polyester T-shirt, but would also carry midweight long underwear tops and bottoms, a fleece vest, Precip top and bottom for raingear, wool hat and gloves.

That Stretch of trail may be the only place in July where I would carry rain pants. Most of my day hiking stints don't go that long above treeline or offer better bail out points (along that you will be under a little pressure to make your reservation - you could go down to your car & drive to Valley Way but that's not really the preffered plan.)

Any other two huts & I'd say synthetic shorts & Gaiters + rain coat would be fine.

Clothing for above treeline

I can't stress this enough- bring layers- lightweight moisture wicking base layer, mid weight fleece, water-wind proof jacket with hood. Bring hand and head layers. Bring rain pants as well.
The weather is very changable on the ridges, and you are exposed to it all above treeline.
Have a great trip :cool:

What everyone else said! Take layers and use them as your needs, and the weather needs, demand.

The condition differences with altitude have to be experienced to believed sometimes. Last Saturday we did Jefferson via the Caps and in those few thousand feet we went from 60* and sun to 45* with low visibility, rain and blustery wind then back to 60* in the sun again.

On our way down we met folk who looked to be out for an afternoon stroll. Sure, the clouds rolled away and I'm sure some of them had the conditions and views we had hoped for, but they could also have been hiking into conditions they were not prepared for.

I'd rather (and most times do) carry more gear than I'll use on any given day but I do have it, and can use it. Being prepared is like having insurance. You hope you won't need it, but it's nice to know its there.

Having the gear is one thing, knowing when to use it or lose it is something you'll have to learn from experience and reading the way your body responds to conditions.

Bob

I went up Washington today and used shorts, a short sleeve shirt, a mid weight fleece, a rain jacket, a cotton head band, a fleece head band, a base ball hat, a pair of light gloves that I then added liners to. I used almost everything in my pack, you just can't say exactly what you will need. Make sure you have it all. Boots
P.S. the weather called for "nice" weather

hut to hut

I agree with the previous posts...layers, hat and gloves are essential. What I would like to add is that if you're staying at the huts, make sure you have a dry set of clothes that are saved for use ONLY at the huts. I also recommend extra socks for the hut and sandals or a pair of slippers that have leather bottoms.