What I learned at the gathering/hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldfeet

Reaction score
Big thx to Sherpak for reading and responding to my many e mails wanting to know such basic info..Ed ADK 4487 for the warming tent and lending me 2 large tent stakes..Shizzmac for the burgers, they did go down much slower the more i hiked.. and Darren for the great web site.

Here's what I learned in no particular order..sorry for lenght.

Crampons rip gor tex pants easily.
Always carry the TP, especially after eating great pea soup.
Don't carry gloves under arms when going to the potty, they could fall a long way down. (almost)
Snowshoes are easier to put on AFTER taking the instep crampons off. Thx Madtownie
Camelback bladders will freeze.
Urine does turn dark yellow when u dehydrate.
snow doesn't taste that bad.
Postholing sucks.
Triping with snowshoes on makes a big fall.
New boot arches aren't a good idea on your first winter NH hike.
Glad i carried the moleskin to fix the blister.
Never enough dry clothes.
9 minute shower costs 12 quarters.
Apple cider doesn't mix with milky liquor.
I don't have snow tires.
I still don't have patience at Dunkin donuts. (NY'er in me).
My left knee hurts at the 10 mile mark.
I didn't OD on Tylenol.
Scotch comes from peat moss.
That wine was real good.
Mapquest isn't so bad.

I spent app $1000 on gear and hiked 20 miles, avg cost $50 per mile..need to get that down.

My wife bought 2 sofa's, add that to the avg when i get the bill.

Almost everything freezes.
And the #1 reason to go to the next gathering is the PEOPLE!

Thx..Hikerbob, Poison Ivy, Skimom, Madtownie, Carole, Richard, Vegematic, McRat and Puck for the inspiring hikes, I couldn't have done it without all of you.

Coldfeet - I learn something new every time I hike and I've been at it a little while now. One thing I learned was - there is always something to learn. You certainly picked a tough intro to White Mountain hiking and got to learn a lot all in one go!

It was quite the adventure and you came through with flying colors. Despite the discomfort you were obviously suffering you bore it well. Believe me, a lot of your future White Mountain hikes are going to be way easier and I'd be glad to share the experience with you if the chance arises.

Bob

Thx Bob,

What was weird was that after the hike everyone went in their own direction to rest and boom the next thing you knew it was Sat. and off to the next hike..Carole kept pushing me and I went on the Pierce hike. I wish that our group could have hung out and talked about the trip and the experience. I'm sorry that I didn't see you to say thx and goodbye..It was exactly like my real life pace here in the city, to fast to enjoy but great memories..I'm going to try to print out your story to keep in a journal..meanwhile I have my own journal writing for my school that I never did on the trip..David

Great list Coldfeet...you learned alot!

I find that I learn something new each time I hike too.

This time, I learned: Always carry your snowshoes and crampons in winter. (You never know when you're going to need them.)

After hiking Middle and South Carter on Saturday, wearing crampons the whole way, and not needing the snowshoes, I decided to hike to Lila's Ledge on Sunday. I decided there was no way I was putting crampons on again, and no need for snowshoes, and so I set out, thinking I would turn back if conditions were bad. It was only 3/4 mile hike from the highway, how bad could it be?

Well, I really needed those crampons, but I was too stubborn to turn back right away. We're really lucky we didn't get ourselves killed! (I kept thinking, I hope I don't slide off this icy ledge, its a long ways down.) Even snowshoes would have helped.

Coldfeet
Nice list. I would like to add;

*permafrost covered trees on the top of Mt Pierce look just like the display in Macy's window during Christmas in Manhattan.
* Carole is persistant. I am glad she talked you into the hike.
* No kidding about the pea soup :eek: (you could have blamed it on the dog)

What I learned:

• It is not possible to bring too much gear when car camping
  • Hot water bottles in your sleeping bag make for a very good night's rest
  • Bring a can cooler (Not to keep your beer cold but to keep it from freezing)
  • When it's in the single digits outside, your will really appreciate a pee bottle in your tent/van!
  • The first 4 quarters at the PNVC showers are just to purge the cold water out of the lines
  • The Gathering attracts some pretty cool people!

Coldfeet: as I told you when we spoke, you did a great job. You'd be the first to tell your students that one must never stop learning--it's just that you learned a LOT on your first winter 4K!!! You were an excellent companion on the Cabot hike, as were all the other members of the party. It was a pleasure hiking with you. And believe me, you're far from being the first person to ever try putting snowshoes on over crampons. That's a lot smarter than some of the moves I've made on some hikes!

There really was a lot of humor in that hike, in fact. :eek: I'd do it again in a minute.

Triping with snowshoes on makes a big fall.

In a warmup to a snowshoe race as a Boy Scout I nearly killed myself falling face down on a rock - it took me years to even consider snowshoeing again :)

Allright!

Nice to meet you again Coldfeet. Great list!
I'll add my own couple of things learned.

....ALWAYS PACK YOUR OWN FOOD...that way you won't be putting CURRY on your oatmeal instead of brown sugar. :eek: :eek:

....NEVER TAKE YOUR EYE OFF YOUR GEAR IN A STRONG WIND IN THE DARK....that way you won't loose your flysheet in the woods. :( :( :eek: :eek:

and last but not least....PEOPLE ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH ABOUT BROWNIES! :D :D

Cheers!

-Phil

Another perspective – Base Camp:

I am thankful Sean was there to help with the warming tent.
You never have enough stoves.
A car jack will remove frozen tables embedded in ice.
Always carry sand.
Need more tables which lead to more places for bottles.
Never wear booties on glazed ice – right Pete?
Befriend the caretaker, it costs less when he finds VfTT signs being posted.
Don’t try to down one-for-one with Sean and hike the next day.
Get a guard to remind everyone those hotdogs are wrapped.
Meatballs are not just for consuming.
An embedded log will not move.
Next time get Monday off.

Some of what I learned:
You can answer over 400 Gathering emails in 3 months
Newbies do as well or better in many cases.
Free standing tents fall when it rains in winter (not mine!)
People listen when I ask for more wood!
I love to hike slowly.
Seeing a Bald Eagle on a lousy weather day was the hightlight of my weekend.
Coldfeet is a real trooper.
"Just" Mark is fun to hike with.
shizzmac is VERY patient when I'm cranky :)
ADK4487 is indispensible on any hike, gathering, activity.
It is possible to answer the same question 40 times within 20 minutes of getting up. It's just not fun ;)
You should never hold a roll of quarters in your armpit when using a urinal (right shizzy?)
If you do, you owe Sherpa $10.
We can easily fill a dumpster with trash!
The official drink of VFTT is made in Kanada.
Peyton Manning is golfing.
The Billings Lodge is real comfortable after 3 bag nights.

I learned to NEVER tell people you don't like cheese on hamburgers

If you have crampons you will need snowshoes.
If you have snowshoes you will need crampons.
Brings many extra pairs of gloves for when you misplace 2 pairs of them
When your instincts tell you to fly to the gathering trust them because it beats a 600 mile drive thru 6 states.....

• Bring Spencer along on hikes; he doesn't mind carrying lots of group gear
  • Pant leg gaitor cords can interfere with the safe operations of step-in crampons
  • Stopping to take frequent pictures is great cover for being a slow hiker
  • Make sure your food is placed in the main feeding area if you want it to get eaten
  • You can never have too many cookies
  • When the X-C ski areas says that their big loop for the day is 6km, reconsider your choices
  • I do have enough clothes to party outside in the single digits
  • I'm still a weenie when given a choice between winter car camping and a cabin
Nice meeting up with all my old and new friends. These things are a long cry from the first few Gatherings, an improvement in every way (except the lousy skiing conditions).

-dave-

• 4. Never Ever set up your tent in the main group area when SherpaK is building fires large enough to signal our presence to aliens, :cool:
  • 3. Never Ever park your car uphill on ice from another when conditions call for a deep thaw :(
  • 2. Always, Always make it to Pinkham Notch in a group right at 8:30 Sharp and get the entire leftover breakfast food (Yes, the Whole Shibang!!!) at a deep discount. :D
  • 1. Never Ever Get behind "Regular Brian" in the breakfast line - He may look slim, but that's just a myth!!!!!!! :D

I learned two things:

Looking for my tent in a less-than-sober state of mind can be a cross between difficult and scary.

I am quite incorrigible.

:)

I learned a few:

If you have only 2 nights out of a 4 day weekend to do the Gathering, don't pick the night with a 60 degree spike to drive to the thing. Especially if your plans involve SNOW.

If the only person watching your house while you're gone is the petsitter, don't leave on a day when torrential downpours are expected. That cell call might just be about your sump pump failing and your basement getting "interesting".

Wish I'd seen Saturday night, but I had some fun Thursday, and I learned my tent, up to now only ever experiencing snow, IS waterproof!

Mark

I learned that you can learn something from everyone, even the first timers. Their sense of wonder, awe, and anticipation are something to keep fresh in my own mind.
I learned from Mr X that Schlitz may have seemed like a good idea at the time but it does have its downfalls (no pun intended).
I learned that hikers are a varied and eclectic lot but we have the mountains as our strong common bonding factor.
I learned Friday morning at 3:30 that my 26 year old tent finally needs to have its seems sealed again.
I learned that even The Dr tastes good next to a roaring campfire.
I re-learned that a pee bottle can be your best friend.
I'll probably learn something new when I finally unload my car tomorrow (very hectic week!).
I learned that my first Gathering won't be my last.

JohnL