What is Winter Peakbagging?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MountainManKurt

Reaction score
I kind of new to the whole winter hiking and stuff, so could some one tell or explain what winter peakbagging is? Thanks.

Hello MountainMan,

Peakbagging in general is the term used to describe the pursuit of mountain summits, often because they are on some list or another.

for instance, there are the New Hampshire 48 4,000 footers (NH48), the New England 100 highest (NE100), the Trailwrights 72 4,000 (T72 - they use a different definition of a 4000-footer) and so on.

there are many, many lists.

to Winter Peakbag is to do this in the winter (defined differently for different lists).

Some of us take the lists very seriously, some of us use them as a guide to visit new places, and some of us abhor lists and just hike b/c hiking is a damn lot of fun! I'm all three...

Cheers,
spencer

MountainManKurt said:
I kind of new to the whole winter hiking and stuff, so could some one tell or explain what winter peakbagging is? Thanks.

The only difference is that there is no mud and no bugs! :D

The definition of Winter varies for different hiking groups (and it has been discussed many times here), but basically it's climbing all the peaks on a list during the Winter months (about 12/21 - 3/21).

Winter climbing requires bringing more gear for emergency preparedness, as well as crampons, snowshoes, gloves, hats, etc., etc. There are some good 'what to bring' lists on this site as well.

It's when people (like me) spend a lot of money buying warm gear, wind/waterproof/breathable clothes, plastic boots, crampons, Michilen Man Mittens, hot drinks, a backpack that weighs 3 times as much as in summer outings and head out to climb mountain peaks covered with 4 feet of snow and winds that will knock you off your feet and then call it fun! :D

If you plan to head out to winter peakbag, there are numerous threads here with suggestions of how to be safe and comfortable while doing it. I would strongly suggest you join experienced winter hikers if you want to venture out in the cold...better yet, take a winter hiking workshop....

'Real' winter begins on December 21 at 1:35, if you want to be technical about it....

....Jade

Thanks

Thanks alot for the understanding, I think I should give it a try after getting some more experience in the field.
Thanks again,
MountainManKurt

Winter Peakbagging?

For Junior, :confused:

Only few new differences: :p

The ground color changes to harmonize with his white color! :)

The second with few hours of day light mustly hour without light = more sleeping time!! :eek:

With the new tracks in the snow, We can have a better estimation where will be the next rabbit in from Us. How many minute(s) to see the jacket color of this rabbit-fox-turtle...!!! :rolleyes:

Have great Winter season!!!! ; :cool:

Pinpin Junior. :D

MountainManKurt said:
Thanks alot for the understanding, I think I should give it a try after getting some more experience in the field. Thanks again,
MountainManKurt

This is excellent advice to yourself! :D

The 46Rs recommend scaling each peak under non-winter conditions first, to familiarize yourself with the mountain. They also require a journal be kept. This comes in handy when repeating a peak. Forewarned is forearmed.

Also, work up to it. I started in summer and did a few 'easy' peaks each winter, until I was confident that I could do the tougher ones.

MountainManKurt said:

An incurable illness.

MMK,

You can start getting that experience hiking closer to home on short trips & before 1:35 on 12/21, You'll get something out of hiking now too.

It's an excuse to buy a lot more gear because 1 (or 4) pair of boots can't be enough!

Sincerely,
Imelda M.

MountainManKurt said:
I kind of new to the whole winter hiking and stuff, so could some one tell or explain what winter peakbagging is?

Winter Peak bagging is what you do when you forget to bring your skis.

Thanls Again

Thanks again for the info. Yeah I guess it would help if you know some info before you climb a peak in the winter.
Thanks again,
MountainManKurt