What to do in Baxter?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rasgoat

Reaction score
Now that I have figured out when to visit Baxter S.P. (in the fall)

Maybe you guys can help me figure out some cool stuff to do there???

I have been there once before but have only hiked Katahdin.

The plan so far is to ascend the Cathederal trail and descend via the knife edge.

BUT what else is really cool in Baxter. We are looking for a nice summit with preferrably a scrambly ascent. How is North Brother? I think it is the only other 4000-footer in Baxter.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks in advance,

Ralph

Rasgoat said:
Now that I have figured out when to visit Baxter S.P. (in the fall)

Maybe you guys can help me figure out some cool stuff to do there???

I have been there once before but have only hiked Katahdin.

The plan so far is to ascend the Cathederal trail and descend via the knife edge.

BUT what else is really cool in Baxter. We are looking for a nice summit with preferrably a scrambly ascent. How is North Brother? I think it is the only other 4000-footer in Baxter.

Ralph
Don't forget Hamlin, a tad over 4000'! :D

Fort, Coe, the Brothers, Oji, they are all great!

If you have a down day, try going north to the South Branch Ponds. They are AWESOME. You can rent canoes at the campground, canoe across the lower pond and then drag your canoe across the stream to the Upper Pond. You can fish in the ponds for brook trout (general laws, but license required, of course). There are also some excellent hikes in that area - Traveler range, etc. The tree line is quite low.

If you fish, the brook trout fishing in September in Baxter is sensational, especially on rainy days, when you might not want to hike. Some bodies of water have general laws and some are fly fishing only. You'd have to check the fishing regulation book for that, which comes with a license. The last day of fishing is September 30, although there may be some bodies of water that are allowed to stay open longer for catch and release only. Again, that information is in the regulation book.

You will not get bored at Baxter!

Marty

Last edited:
if time, driving distance permits, the Traveler Loop from South Branch is very, vey nice and pretty much untrod (lots of above treeline stuff)--PM me if you want details--(and the Owl IS a very nice, moderate hike too)---jim

Rasgoat said:
Hamlin is not part of Katahdin???

Hamlin, Baxter, Pamola ... they're all peaks that are part of "Mount Katahdin".

You can head over to Kidney or Daicey Pond and rent out a canoe from the ranger for a few hours. Or bring your own and hit any of the chain of ponds in that area; they're all connected with portage trails. Combine that with Audrey's suggestion for a walk along the stream past Big & Little Niagara Falls and the old Toll Dam all just below Daicey.

Climb the Brothers & Coe, possibly bushwhack over to Fort. Climb Doubletop or take an easy walk up Sentinel.

Raymond said:
Something else fun to do in Baxter State Park is to play Frisbee with your dog while blasting tunes from your boom box.

You are kidding....right??? ;)

There's soo much to do in Baxter, just don't know where to start. The earlier suggestions sound great. Don't forget Double Top, now that's a scramble. Most of all, just have fun being there! I'm so jealous

One thing to keep in mind at Baxter is that the Nesourdnahunk tote road that runs through the park is maintained to a primitive standard and its difficult if not dangerous to go more than about 20 MPH. Taking a ride from the south end of the park to the north end is a couple of hour drive despite if being not a long distance on the map.

There are a set of big slide caves on the side of Pamola that are fun to do in the afternoon after you have climbed Katahdin.

If you are bagging North Brother, you may want to add a few miles to the loop and grab Coe (its a long day if you are also bagging Fort), The summit has the same views as North Brother, but the trail goes down a very large slide that starts almost at the summit. It is quite wide and is mostly zigzagging across very broad slabs. (not recomended on a wet day). Some folks highly recomend finding the former route of the Marston slide trail off of South Brother. Its very obvious at the top, but I havent found it at the bottom, although several folks have told me that it comes right back into the main trail.

South Turner is a must do when you drive into Russel. A nice way to stretch the legs after the long car ride. Gives you an excuse to go see the moose at the pond and its great for planning your next days hikes.

BTW, stop at the park headquarters in Millinocket. It takes just a couple of minutes and they have a couple of displays.

things to do when visiting Baxter:

1) call your buddy Dave and invite him along ;)

2) I've done the Brothers and Coe as a loop; it's easy hiking with good views and the Coe slide is supposed to be one of the longest in the East or something. For a slightly longer day you can add a bushwhack to Fort (it's on some list or other and IIRC there's a plane crash to be found).

3) Traveler sounds like fun - long ridge, more-or-less above treeline, with more-or-less bushwhacking depending which peak you aim for.

4) Doubletop is a nifty-looking mountain, should be worth hiking.

5) The Owl is a shorter hike but it's got some nice cliffs, probably if you search around there may be some trad routes?

6) There are definitely alpine trad routes on Katahdin. I think Pamola Four and the Nose go at 5.5, for example; I'm sure there is plenty of harder stuff (Hamlin's "north face" has got to be tough...). Note: the park has a number of rules pertaining to rock climbing...

7) If you've got a little cash, consider whitewater rafting on the Penobscot, just outside the park. Some (very short) Class V sections.

Most of the mountains and routes mentioned have pages on SummitPost where you can find more info.

Last edited:
Feel free to check out my Baxter trip reports on my website . Look on the left menu for North Brother, Doubletop, and a couple of generically named "Baxter" reports.

Since I've started visiting some of the non-Katahdin peaks in the park I've really come to appreciate them. In some ways their views are superior to those from Baxter Peak because they include Baxter Peak and the Katahdin mass. I thought this was particularly true of N Brother.

I climbed Doubletop from the North. It was a lovely climb but the highlight of the trip was the 0.2-mile knife-edged ridge between the two summits, which is just as accessible from the south trailhead. I'm figureing you'll be staying at Roaring Brook, so the south trailhead would be less driving.

If you are looking for something mellower, both Kidney Pond and Daicey Pond campgrounds have canoes available to rent for a modest charge. It is usually honor system and $1/hour. Wildlife and mountain views from the ponds are outstanding.

If you find yourself having driven over to the west side consider a visit to Ledge Falls. It's a bit north of the Mt. Coe Trailhead and the spur road to the ponds. It is a roadside "attraction" where the Nesowadnehunk Stream pools and then runs over a lot of open ledge. This creates a nice ledgey picnic area and a natural rock waterslide. It'll be crowded by Baxter standards, but worth a visit if you're in the area.

Chat up the rangers you see. They are a wealth of information and lore.

-vegematic

I would highly recommend the Traveller Loop , begining at South Pond. This trail ventures at or above treeline for much of its distance, and is relatively new. It is a rare chance to see an alpine trail that has not previously been hiked on for decades. A lot of trail work has taken place in NH to reduce the spread or slow the increase in width of trails above treeline, such as the scree walls on Franconia Ridge. The Traveller Loop is a chance to hike an alpine trail that is still in its infant stage-- Its Baxter steep at the ends, and Baxter beautiful for the full length

North of the Tote Road, the Freeze Out Trail is reminiscent of the southern Allagash. Many ponds link with nice trails, and there are canoes wiating for your use on many shores-- get details from the rangers. Hiking from pond to pond, and having a canoe to greet you at the shore is a plesure found few places other than Baxter

Good luck. Pete

Paradox said:
I understand that camping reservations are limited for non-Maine residents, but how about day-use admission? Is this limited also? I have heard that there can be long lines early in the morning, at the park gate.

I don't know all the rules, but here's a start: Day use is available to non-residents. That's how most people do Katahdin. I don't know of any restrictions, except for the number of cars in the parking lots leading to Katahdin (Roaring Brook, Abol, Katahdin Stream) and if you have money for the fee ;) . The long early morning lines are for Katahdin hikers. Once that all clears out, it is not much of a wait. Last July, I got to the gate at 6:30 am on a Sunday and didn't have to wait at all. FWIW, there were no other cars at the Marston Trail parking lot, in case you were looking to do Coe, the Brothers and Fort.

Hope you have a wonderful time if you go!
Marty

As Marty said, the morning lines are for Katahdin hikers. That means ANYONE who wants to park at Roaring Brook. Parking is limited, which is why people get there early to be near the front of the line.

S. Branch is sooooo beautiful... :)

Traveller Loop is a killer hike, in the best sense of the word... :D

Middle Fowler is where the big brookies are... ;)

I agree with Gris.

If you really want to chill, spend a couple nights in Russell Pond.

grog