What to do in Baxter?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The line starts way before 4:45, I've talked to people who have camped behind their cars & have been 54 back arriving at 5:20.

Look for moose in the ponds,
Cathedral is probably the hardest hike up & there have been fatalities on it due to falling/moving rock. Unless you have a lot of experience I'd consider another trail up, take Hamlin Ridge & do bothe Hamlin & Baxter peak.

Katahdin Lake

There is a 3 mile hike to Katahdin Lake off the Roaring Brook road just about 1 mile shy of the campground. The lake is beautiful, a new acquisition by the park. You can make arrangements when you enter the park to rent one of the canoes locked up by the lake or you can just swim out a bit to see the mountain. The views of Katahdin from the lake are spectacular.
Beth

Mike P. said:
The line starts way before 4:45, I've talked to people who have camped behind their cars & have been 54 back arriving at 5:20.

Look for moose in the ponds,
Cathedral is probably the hardest hike up & there have been fatalities on it due to falling/moving rock. Unless you have a lot of experience I'd consider another trail up, take Hamlin Ridge & do bothe Hamlin & Baxter peak.

Well it was around 4:45 this past Saturday morning. :)

Pretty much anything that you do in BSP will be memorable.

My favorite non-winter hike there has been the Traveler. Russell Pond is a gem, and if you stay there you can hike into Davis Pond for a dayhike. Doubletop has the best views in the Park IMHO. South Turner is a great 1/2 day hike. I could go on for a long time...

Keep in mind that "fall" in Baxter Park does not usually mean Indian summer. The latitude of the park is significantly north of the Whites and any of the other mountains of the Northeast and the weather is less inviting. There are lots of things to do if conditions are unfavorable for hiking the major peaks. Have plan B etc. at the ready.

Wow, thanks for all the great responses! Dave, I'll send you a PM. This info gives me alot to think about and look foreward to!

Ralph

The one thing that I am trying to figure out is this Traveler loop. On the map I have, the North Traveler and Traveler mountains are not connected by a trail. This, I am assuming is the loop? is there a new trail built there or is it a bushwack or ridgewalk or what? If so what direction is good for the traverse?

thanks again! :D

Raph

The Traveler Loop is only a few years old and not on most maps. I'd suggest going counterclockwise. Go from South Branch Campground down the Pogy Notch Trail and up to the Center Ridge (steep and VERY rocky). There is now a trail from the Center Ridge to the Traveler and then on to the N Traveler--most of this is above treeline and spectacular. Then take the "old" trail from the N Traveler back to South Branch. Great hike, pretty strenuous....oh, there are usually maps of this new loop available at the park gate.

jim

Water Up for the Traveller

Yup, and zero, nada, NO water after you cross Howe Brook and start up. Also very exposed up there. Best New England hike I've ever done though.

buckyball1 said:
The Traveler Loop is only a few years old and not on most maps. I'd suggest going counterclockwise. ...Great hike, pretty strenuous....oh, there are usually maps of this new loop available at the park gate.

jim

Some of us did just this hike last October, in jim's recommended direction. We had a fine day and this circuit trail is wonderful. If you don't want to wait until your arrival at BSP for an up-to-date map of the loop, the AMC Maine Mt. Guide (9th Ed.), which came out last summer, has one. (Its maps also show the distances between trail junctions, like those in this year's update of the AMC White Mt. Guide.)

Thank you all for your replies! the trip was GREAT with the Traveler loop being the highlight for me, what an awesome place! also bagged Katahdin Catherdral-Knife edge, O-J-I (North Slide, awseome), Coe & the Brothers, great weather but no moose unfortunately. Next time!

Ralph