What type of backpacker are you?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What type of backpacker are you?

• Ultralighter - I'm a total gram weenie

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • Lightweight - I care about weight a lot

Votes: 37 33.0%
  • Midweight - yeah, I care about weight, but I want my conveniences, too

Votes: 61 54.5%
  • Heavy weight - I want to be prepared and want my conveniences. Weight is of less importance.

Votes: 8 7.1%

• Total voters
I voted midweight. I won't leave home without the essentials, and may add a few extras for "just in case", but I don't go overboard either. I don't count grams/ounces when the frame carrying the pack is many grams/ounces heavier than what it should be. If I want to shave some weight, starting with myself is the cheapest option.

Smitty

<sucker>I voted "heavy weight" since when we go overnighting I tend to carry all the heavies (canister/food,stove,tent,sleeping bag,filter,cooking utes) and my wife carries the "trinkets" (her sleeping bag,clothes,camera,snacks,binocs,1stAid). Am I getting hosed? </sucker>

I put myself down as a midweight. When doing a 7-9 day backpack, my pack weighs in around 45lbs. I'm trying to cut down on that, but it's hard. I don't take too many "convenience items", just Tevas, a small book, and a bit of extra food. I do try to choose lighter gear when replacing stuff.

On the other hand, the weight of my winter pack never bothers me. In the summer, I guess I'm kinda light. I just throw water, snacks, a fleece, a rain/wind shell, first aid kit, and headlamp in my pack (oh yeah, camera too). When leading a group, I carry more emergency gear but I still don't notice my pack.

Double Bow said:
I put myself down as a midweight. When doing a 7-9 day backpack, my pack weighs in around 45lbs. I'm trying to cut down on that, but it's hard. I don't take too many "convenience items", just Tevas, a small book, and a bit of extra food. I do try to choose lighter gear when replacing stuff.

Ross -
It was pointed out to me by Audrey last year that Crocs weigh a couple of ounces and are as durable as Tevas which weigh as much or more as crampons...good around camp, good across streams...

oh yea - the sandles are a must in non winter trips! nothing letting them tootsies breathe after a tuogh day.

I am light - with the exception (summer trips) when I take a 12 rack of beer in with me - tho I do take cans, which can be squashed and hauled out easier. I would guess 30-40 pounds on 2 nighters.

I can't vote, because I don't do backpacking much. Mainly because I hate hiking with an heavy pack. Maybe I should try the ultralight way... But it seems like sooo much work !

Or maybe I should just ask Pete to come and make him carry my gear. I'm sure he would fall for it. Don't tell him I said that.

I tend to go lightweight for summer trips, midweight for winter. I'm much more nervous then about having the right cold-weather gear, as well as dry clothes. In the summer, though, I'll just take the minimum that I need - one warm layer, a shell, crocs.

I'm also a fan of the external-frame backpack. My big old Kelty external is much lighter than my 7lb Osprey internal, and so whenever I can use the Kelty I do.

I'm currently trying out even using lighter footwear. I'm a consumate fan of the Asolo FSN 95 GTX boot, which is light to begin with, but recently I've been wearing Merrill Pulse II's, which are more like overgrown sneakers with a Vibram sole than boots, and I like them.

The exception is food. I have over time learned that having real food is worth it to me. I might bring a package of noodles that weighs nothing, but also a tin of chicken and some baby carrots to mix into my soup. I like to take fresh hummus, cheese, and will even take a small bunch of grapes for the first day.

One time, we even brought lamb tips marinating in a ziplock, and skewered them over a tiny fire at our backcountry campsite. Mmm-mmm!
:)

NukedRocket said:
<sucker>I voted "heavy weight" since when we go overnighting I tend to carry all the heavies (canister/food,stove,tent,sleeping bag,filter,cooking utes) and my wife carries the "trinkets" (her sleeping bag,clothes,camera,snacks,binocs,1stAid). Am I getting hosed? </sucker>

You are not a sucker...my boyfriend and I divy up the load the same way...though I wouldn't say I carry the trinkets...I'd say the semi-important items. BUT, I do, do all the cooking and he gets a foot rub at the end of the day!

Went from 50 plus to 35 (including fuel and food) over last summer, by reducing to a 5 lb pack from 7 lb, and going down to a 2.2 lb sleeping bag and 4 lb 2 person tent from 6-7 lb tent and 3 lb bag. Also started doing more snacking and less cooking and saved on fuel, stove and cooking equipment weight.

Did find that adjusting the meal plan could save carrying the equivilent of one meals weight for the whole trip by eating a bigger breakfast, med sized lunch snack, and light supper as oposed to the traditional opposite. The sooner you eat the food the sooner your not carrying it.

This year the 2.5 lb sleeping bag will go down to 15-16 oz, the 5 lb pack to 2 lb, may try some tarp camping. Lexan waterbottles will be replaced with cheeper lighter weight ones. Won't pack the whole AMC Guide :eek: , just the pages I need!

Going down to pemi in 3 weeks, I want to have a well sub 20lb pack before food. After smashing a knee telemarking this winter I don't want to put anymore strain on it than I have to.

Last edited: