When all you need is a blue hill or two

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunchberry

Reaction score
Throughout the week I had planned to take a hike in the Blue Hills on Saturday, to at least get a little hike in on a weekend I couldn’t get up north. But alas, the hike was not to happen…my week had been crazy and sleep won out—by the time I got out of bed, ate “breakfast” and felt awake enough to do something, it was 3pm and too late for my hike. So, even though I already had lunch plans with family today, I decided that I would definitely get to the Blue Hills this afternoon no matter how late…

Coincidentally, it was 3pm when I finally made it to the Reservation Headquarters parking area. I had wanted to explore some of the crisscrossing trails in the western side of the Reservation, but since it was on the late side and the sky looked a bit threatening, I decided to just do a loop on the north and south branches of the Skyline Trail. Besides, taking a route that was familiar would be a good excuse to play with my new camera along the way.

As I started up the first hill, I felt so happy to be out and about…I was singing some Vienna Teng lyrics in my head, and then I started to change the words…the chorus became “when all you need is a blue hill or two” and I kept going from there! I kept up a good clip and soon enough an Irish man caught up to me and we chatted a bit as we walked. He said to me “You are brave” and when I asked why, “Because not many women would come here alone…” I thought about that for a little bit, and realized that it is all relative…I don’t consider myself brave to take a Blue Hills hike alone because I read almost daily about other women’s solo hiking adventures in places much more remote than my humble hike—but the non-VFTT/hiking world may think that a woman on the trail alone is rare sight. I had sort of forgotten about that.

Anyway, the Irish man and I hiked and chatted all the way to the top of the Great Blue Hill together, and he was wonderful company. How quickly strangers can become friends. Once at the top of the hill, I walked up the staircase in the tower, of course taking pictures all around and experimenting with the lighting. Soon enough, I departed and crossed the bridge that would lead me to the south branch of the Skyline Trail. I missed the turn, however, and soon was in front of the weather observatory…very cool. I wandered around a bit and then made my way back to the trail junction I had missed the first time. It is marked quite well, but my head must have been in the clouds…literally…I had been taking some very photos of the dramatic cloud formations on that stretch of the trail.

I made my way down the Great Blue Hill, then up and down the smaller hillsides on my way back to my car. At one point, I came across some very large boulders and a tree that was stripped of its bark all the way around for a length of several feet. You can see it in the photo…anyone know how this might have happened? Heading down, I ran into several people and many dogs. Sometimes I really appreciate the silence of my surroundings while I am out hiking, but today I was happy to see that there were lots of people out on a day that looked like it might begin pouring at any minute. In truth, there were only a small smattering of raindrops here and there, and the day was really quite lovely. Having grown up in this area, I can hardly believe that it is only now that I am coming to know the Blue Hills…better late than never!

photos from the adventure:
http://community.webshots.com/album/548947707WBveml

-katie

Last edited:
Katie, a fine trip report . . . and a reminder that we can often find the "outdoors" nearby, if we just look for it! You remind me that I need to walk the conservation reserve land behind my house, especially since there's a trail leading from my backyard. The kitchen painting can wait a couple hours. :p

Cool pictures... Been by blue hills so many times never been up there. It was interesting yesterday. A lot Virga out there, some reaching the ground but not particulary heavy. It was very cold aloft leading those dark cloud bases and very unstable environment. 1500-2000 feet it was close to freezing. Did you get any ice pellets at all? Cool pictures, nice trip report.

Peter, a trail leading out of your own backyard? My dream!!

Chip, local hikes sure are great...I've changed my attitude from "well, I can't get up to the Whites this weekend, I guess I'll settle for the Blue Hills" to "wow, I can't wait to get back to the Blue Hills and explore!" :)

snowbird, I didn't get any ice pellets..but then again, I think my highest elevation was 635 feet :)

-katie

Last edited:
What a lovely adventure Katie. I will also agree that local hikes are a wonderful ways to connect with the outdoors. Thanks for sharing with us your stories.

Katie,

I only get up to the Whites about one weekend a month, so I sometimes go for a romp in the Blue Hills or the Fells just to stretch my legs between times.

If you'd ever like some company on a weekend, send me an email (BobKittredge at gmail.com). The AMC does run show-and-go local hikes there, but they tend to be cattle drives of 20 or more hikers.

Cheers, Bob K

bunchberry said:
He said to me “You are brave” and when I asked why, “Because not many women would come here alone…” I thought about that for a little bit, and realized that it is all relative…I don’t consider myself brave to take a Blue Hills hike alone because I read almost daily about other women’s solo hiking adventures in places much more remote than my humble hike—but the non-VFTT/hiking world may think that a woman on the trail along is rare sight. I had sort of forgotten about that.

Are you sure that's what this guy was driving at? I think that a lot of people view a woman hiking solo in the Blue Hills as far more "dangerous" than a woman hiking solo in WMNF or whatever remote wilderness area that one can think of. This is because of the perception that grimey types frequent the fringes of urban and semi-urban woods areas. I'm not real familiar with the Blue Hills, so I can't comment on whether or not this perception exists-but unfortunately it exists a lot of other places and I can't really see the Blue Hills being an exception.

Bob, thanks for the offer, I'll keep that in mind!

High Horse, No, I can't be positive about what he meant by what he said, but it sure did make me think a bit! From the rest of my conversation with him, I think he was just commenting on me hiking alone, not me hiking in the Blue Hills specifically.

-katie

Bunchberry,

The pics are awesome! I've always wanted to go to the Blue Hills because
1. They have great views to Boston and beyond.
2. The weather observatory up top. (I'm a former meteorology major but still a weather nerd. :)

Are they hard to get to? I'd love to check it out some nice spring afternoon, or possibly during raspberry season. :D

grouseking

Glad to hear Bunchberry and others are discovering the Blue Hills- Being a White Mountain junkie it serves as a mild pacifier when I am not able to get out of the city and head north-
I have had fun practicing map and compass skills bushwhacking in the reservation (as well as playing with my GPS) and doing trail runs over the hills…you can actually accumulate a fair amount of elevation . I have also been kown to duck out of my office midweek when there is snow and do some skiing-nothing like having the whole ski area to yourself for $10-15.

The weather observatory is sometimes open for tours: http://www.bluehill.org/

:D :D blue hills is a nice place close to beantown. I used to hike in there alot at nights when I live in quincy years ago. One time I hiked across the highway and stumbled on to a camp??? Not sure what that was but it didn't look like it got much use.

another time - I went into the tower and interrupted some "questionable activities" :eek: :eek: going on by some teenagers by accident. Took a U-turn right out of there!!

great place to get a quick hike/run in. :D :D :D decent ele gain for eastern mass!

now I live in frankin - so I hike/run in the local state forest (which is nice if anyone lives around there - rough unmaintained trails - great for training!) when I can't get up north. Just started taking by 11 month old there. Might try blue hills with him when weather gets a bit warmer.

bunchberry said:
I've changed my attitude from "well, I can't get up to the Whites this weekend, I guess I'll settle for the Blue Hills" to "wow, I can't wait to get back to the Blue Hills and explore!" :)
-katie

This little excerpt represents such a great idea. I think I could write a book (which I won't do here) about the appreciation of 'subtle beauty' and becoming an expert of one's own locality.

I'm reminded of one of my favorite Wendell Berry quotes, “…the world cannot be discovered by a journey of miles, no matter how long, but only by a spiritual journey, a journey of one inch…by which we arrive at the ground at our feet, and learn to be at home.”
(from "The Unforeseen Wilderness")

blacknblue said:
This little excerpt represents such a great idea. I think I could write a book (which I won't do here) about the appreciation of 'subtle beauty' and becoming an expert of one's own locality.

Amen to this! Any time out, anywhere is better than not at all. Remineds me of what, Sparkplug and I call "The Hierarchy of Views." Even on a cloudy, rainy, foggy day in the hills you can see some beautiful views. It's certainly better than the view from my desk. :eek:

BTW, nice trip report. Thanks for sharing.

Whoops - forgot to look at the pictures the first time. :rolleyes: Nice! The shot of Boston and the virga clouds was impressive, as well as the waterfall pics.

Having grown up in Vermont and having lived in Colorado the past four years, it's often these sorts of photos and trip reports that make me nostalgic more so than the high peaks of NY, VT, NH, and ME. For every pic of the Presies, I have 10 of the Indian Peaks, Gore Range, Sangre de Cristos, or Elk Mountains in Colorado... but stories about the Blue Hills reminds me of romping around in the woods of my backyard - finding old logging trails, small ponds, and moose tracks. I think that's what I miss most about New England.

Sigh... Sorry - feeling a bit nostalgic today apparently. :(

Nice pics, Bunchberry! I especially like the ones with the skeleton tree and bush branches against cloudy skies. I so agree with your attitude about local hikes. Dick (rhihn) and I often hike in John Boyd Thatcher State Park (in the Heldeberg Mountains southwest of Albany, NY.) - a ten minute drive from our house. We can hike a section of the Long Path to a height of land called Roemer's Point - a short 6 mile round trip jaunt which is delightful in all seasons.

Joanne

Last edited:
thanks for your comments...

I grew up in this area and can't believe I haven't done more local exploration. It's about time! There are so many places to wander around in that don't require a multi-hour car ride, and for me, just "getting out there" is so much more important than the summits. That's why I'm only on 29/48 NH 4000 footers even though I've been hiking for about 15 years. I just never get tired of Lafayette and the peaks surrounding Carter Notch! :)

I find that when I am hiking on a rainy, foggy, dreary day, I focus on the little things, instead of the grand sweeping views. In summer, trillium and other flowers practically jump out at me on a rainy day, and I notice the alpine vegetation above treeline so much more. That's why I don't mind a rainy hike!

-katie

Last edited:
Nice trip report Katie. I did a similar local hike today about the same elevation as the Blue hills as well. I dragged my 14 year old son along and we had a great afternoon together. The best part was seeing who could make an Chocolate covered almond last the longest on the way down..... he won of course!

I have to agree with Chip on your self portrait....It's a great shot, you sure are photogenic!

The Blue Hills is only about 15 minutes from where I live and I've been going there alot lately to train for the longer trips in the Whites. You can buy a very good map of the area trails at the Trailside museum (on rte 138) for about $2. Although the most popular trails are those right near the museum, there are a whole bunch of other areas that are very nice too and less crowded on the weekends. I've been exploring the area east of rte 28 and often bring my backpack loaded with overnight gear (to help train). There are so many possiblilities for loop hikes and, of course, you can do the whole length of the Skyline trail (blue rectangles) for a total of about 9 miles of fairly rugged terain. You need to spot a car or bicycle, though.
Warmer weather brings more people, as well as moutain bikers, but there are still many quiet spots to explore if you take the time. Great place to hike close to home!

Chas.