Where can I buy one hiking pole?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kurchian

Reaction score
I lost a Leki hiking pole due to not fastening it properly to my pack. Does anyone have a suggestion on where I can buy another pole?

Wal-mart. Don't laugh until you check them out. Singles (red) are <$10, have cork handles and compression springs. Brought to you by the same people who make Swiss Army knives.

Rarely, but I have seen single poles sold at outfitters "garage" type sales such as REI and EMS have.

Kurchian said:
I lost a Leki hiking pole due to not fastening it properly to my pack. Does anyone have a suggestion on where I can buy another pole?
Call Leki. If you get the right person, they may send a replacement free. They're one of the most customer friendly companies around,

Papa Bear, no offense, but I would be ticked off if I found out they send out a pole for free because someone LOST one. Because, I am paying for that pole one way or another.

Sorry. :eek:

I've found a down side to the "WallyWorld Swiss Army Knife" poles. The points are made of soft steel, hence after about 30 minutes of hiking they become rounded off. They now glide off any granite surface.

It seems to me the points could be replaced. But, quality, carbide points would add considerably to the ultimate cost of the poles.

dug said:
Papa Bear, no offense, but I would be ticked off if I found out they send out a pole for free because someone LOST one. Because, I am paying for that pole one way or another.

Sorry. :eek:

That's Leki's call, not yours... Two or so years ago, I snapped off the lowest section of one of my Leki's at the screw thread... I called Leki to see how to go about replacing the section (that is, due to USER ERROR -- like losing a single -- and not a manufacturing fault)... They nearly tripped over themselves sending me out a replacement for free, which supports Papa Bear's experience.

One *does* pay a higher price to companies that provide this type of support. Not in order to 'screw over' they people who feel the way the person above does with higher prices, but because they know that doing so for a customer will likely guarantee repeat business from that customer.

So definitely call Leki and see what they suggest. I doubt it'll be a freebie, but I'm sure they'll offer some acceptable solution..

Paradox said:
I've found a down side to the "WallyWorld Swiss Army Knife" poles. The points are made of soft steel, hence after about 30 minutes of hiking they become rounded off. They now glide off any granite surface.

It seems to me the points could be replaced. But, quality, carbide points would add considerably to the ultimate cost of the poles.

A replacement set (2) of the Leki flexible tips runs about $13 last time I checked. Still not a bad deal for cork-handled poles.

I bought a pair of Leki ploes several years ago.
Lost one, in a Very Angry Opalescent river crossing.
I found and bought the same exact pole on Sierra Trading post.( just 1 )
I was'nt aware that poles have to be sold in pairs. I know a few folks who like to hike with 1 pole but, I did'nt ask them where they bought it.

I could not see spending the big bucks on poles so I got a cheap pair at Target. Let me say they were cheap.....lol I used them on my trip to Santanoni and then wrecked them on Allen. I got 2 uses outta them and then threw them away. I would check ebay. I bought a pair of EMS poles with shipping for 25 bucks and already have used them on 5 summer trips and one winter.

adam

Last edited:
imarchant said:
Was the left one or the right one :D
sorry, couldn't resist
Actually, the straps are left and right.

The strap end "closer" to your hand should be on the thumb side. (Or so I was taught...) All of my poles have come in pairs with the straps in mirror-image pairs.

Doug

Sometimes ski shops have a bucket of used poles for like $10 for a pair. I got a nice pair of downhill skiing poles for $10 this winter at my local ski shop after I yet again snapped my expensive poles while skiing at Jay Peak. I am a big fan of using downhill ski poles for hiking, usually a mixed pair of poles that have only had one of the two survive the ski winter. I have tried the Leki and other expensive hiking poles, but they normally feel flimsy and the tighteners come loose and I have one pole flopping around while I hike, all for like $75 a pair. Used sporting shops might also sell 'em.

If you can live with a ski pole, and not a hiking pole, I have a sure fire way of getting free poles.

Go to a ski area in late april/may. Look in the woods off to the side. I'd be surprised if you don't find at least a couple poles.

Paradox said:
Are you sure that they can be attached? If so, it is truely a great deal. :)
I haven't tried it personally, but when I looked at a couple of friend's poles, as well as one at Wal-mart the other day, I'm quite sure it's a slip fit just like Leki's, Komperdell's and others (but not basic BD's :().

TroutBumNH said:
That's Leki's call, not yours... Two or so years ago, I snapped off the lowest section of one of my Leki's at the screw thread... I called Leki to see how to go about replacing the section (that is, due to USER ERROR -- like losing a single -- and not a manufacturing fault)... They nearly tripped over themselves sending me out a replacement for free, which supports Papa Bear's experience.

One *does* pay a higher price to companies that provide this type of support. Not in order to 'screw over' they people who feel the way the person above does with higher prices, but because they know that doing so for a customer will likely guarantee repeat business from that customer.

So definitely call Leki and see what they suggest. I doubt it'll be a freebie, but I'm sure they'll offer some acceptable solution..

There was an article recently in the Boston Globe (I posted the link on here) about consumers abusing the return policies of stores, and how it costs millions of dollars a year. To think we all don't pay for that is nieve. If they are just giving away a percentage of their product, then they have to charge us all to recover that cost to make a profit. Hey, to each their own.

I second Doug Paul's suggestion, though. I did that with my BD poles when I snapped one of the lengths. I use one for parts.

Last edited: