Where do you get your gear?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where do you buy your gear most often?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jbrown

Reaction score
I, like many people I'm sure, get my gear where and when it's best and cheapest. I shop sales at EMS, clearance racks wherever they are, and sometimes online when it suits my purposes.

I'm looking for more resources to purchase gear, and have thought about creating a post and poll like this for a while.

I'm mostly interested in finding out about small local shops, or obscure online retailers that alot of us might not know about.

Post names if you can, URL's too.

jbrown said:
I, like many people I'm sure, get my gear where and when it's best and cheapest. I shop sales at EMS, clearance racks wherever they are, and sometimes online when it suits my purposes.

I'm looking for more resources to purchase gear, and have thought about creating a post and poll like this for a while.

I'm mostly interested in finding out about small local shops, or obscure online retailers that alot of us might not know about.

Post names if you can, URL's too.
CAMPMOR!

-Dr. Wu

anyway I can find the best deal

ebay
hiltons tent city
ems/rei (sales only)
moosejaw
ragges mt equip
IME downstairs used gear shop.
north face outlets sometimes.

I usually have a something in mind and look for the best deal.

As Giggy said, I usually figure out what I want and then scour the Internet to find the best deal.

In addition to Campmor & Moosejaw, listed above, I've also found good deals at:

Northern Mountain Supply (www.killerdeals.com) and Sierra Trading Post (www.sierratradingpost.com)

If all prices are equal, I usually go to REI so I can add to my rebate... but usually I can find better prices elsewhere.

- Ivy

Last edited:
I spend a lot of time researching online and then more time online hunting for the best deal. So, if time is indeed money, then I probably come out even. :rolleyes: If you don't care about the color, or the latest and greatest, you can usually do pretty well.

PS: I wish I had a rokkin' crue avatar. :cool:

I use a lot of places on-line, big and small, as well as local stores such as EMS. Hard to vote. Not all places have what I want, some places have it but takes too long to ship, or the shipping costs are too high (I check those as well as prices).

Dick

A place I have used on occasion is moontrail.com

Not a huge selection and not always the best prices but occasionally I have found some very good deals and always had good service. I always check there to compare when buying something.

I voted small on-line retailer but for all I know it's a big'un....
http://www.backcountrygear.com/index.cfm

When I want some new gear I might start a thread or I will go straight on-line and comparison shop, then I might start a thread.
When I'm ready I place my order. I don't look around too much for the best deal. Maybe I should.

Shopping on eBay seems too complicated for me. Searching for stuff, the bidding process. I once looked for an insulated jacket but couldn't tell whether I was looking at knock-offs. Manufacturers keep changing their lines so when I would see something that looked interesting it was hard to read up on it on the manufacturers website cuz they didn't make that model anymore.

I'm a big fan of Campmor also. Never been disapointed with anything I've bought from them and their service is amazing. I'll phone in an order at 10:00am and the UPS truck will roll in with it just before noon the next day every time. It still pays to shop around though. On sale at EMS I've bought snowshoes and a tent cheaper than the same items at Campmor.
Dave

I find Campmor has the best price and selection. I got a Great deal on a pair of winter mountaineering boots on E-bay, but I got hosed on a down jacket from there also. I vote for Campmor.

Like others, I will use the source that has the best price AND what I'm looking for. I have ordered on-line but prefer to see and touch my choices first hand. Although REI and EMS are reliable, Natick Outdoor Store, Hiltons Tent City, and Wildrerness House are good, too. For paddling gear I never fail to get what I'm looking for at Goose Hummock (Orleans, Cape Cod), usually at the end of the season in September.

But my favorites no doubt are Kittery Trading Post and LL Bean.

Backpackinglight.com and Prolitegear.com

Prolitegear.com doesn't seem that small to me, but BPL.com is small, they have great gear and a cool community concept that I like being a part of and supporting when I can.

While I always shop around the 'net for the best buy, lately it's usually been REI-Outlet. STP has been disappointing of late - their prices aren't that competitive any more.

When I want the 'best-of-the-best' gear - then I go to Mountain Gear. Their catalogs are like a mountaineering primer.

All of the above, except e-Bay. The last time I went on an all-day hike, I wore or carried gear that was purchased from:

The Mountain Goat
Ibex
The Sock Company
Sam's Outfitters
North Cove Outfitters
Climb High
Mountaingear
EMS
MEC
Feathered Friends
Backcountry Gear
Travel Country

and perhaps a few others I can't remember.