Where do you get your gear?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where do you buy your gear most often?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
C&C Outdoors
Mt Gear
Everest Gear
STP (but I agree that it hasn't been great recently...especially sizes)
Campmor
REI and REI Outlet
Backcountry and BC Outlet
Cabela's (more for hunting, but still some great buys)

and whatever I can find in stowed packs along the trail :eek:

My name is Kevin... and I am a gear slut

:D :D If I spent half as much time planning to rule the universe, then searching for online deals, I would be the ruler of a large planet... well at least something like Mars, maybe not Jupiter...

I almost always search and search for the deals. I sometimes pride myself on not paying bust out retail if possible... I wait for coupons, online specials, anything...

I am a gear sale whore... I admit it freely... I know I have a problem... I will be the best setup guy living down under the freeway if I ever get canned from my job.

I usually use STP, Bike Nashbar, REI-Outlet, Campmor.

Kevin

Last edited:
How about all of the above. It all depends on what I am in the market for. Sometimes it's the big box outfitter, other times it's the small independent outfitter. Sometimes it's local, other times it web or mail order.

Most things I buy from REI lately, as they're close and I really really liked getting a dividend, which let me go buy more stuff. :D

As most have said, I search out good deals.

For clothes, I've found lots of good stuff at the Goodwill in David Square. ALWAYS look there first. I refuse to spend $80 on a pair of pants, unless they're waterproof.

Last edited:
The BEST

I buy most of my gear from a local shop; http://www.catskillhikes.com/
in Wurtsboro NY (southern Catskills). You can't buy on-line, you have to go in and have the pleasure of meeting and being helped out by Susan. She's incredibly knowledgeable and helpful and I would much rather give my business to her than some big retailer. But I do often get tempted by the amazing deals you can catch on http://www.sierratradingpost.com/!

Ive done A LOT of business with Campmor.com.......could not be happier with my experiences. But I must say I do a fair bit of buying from the local EMS as well. Ive bought from REI online, but not enough to say for sure the experience has been good or bad (though so far I hove not one complaint.)

Brian

I checked off for big box retailer because most of my gear is from EMS. I wouldn't include IME as a big retailer. As far a I know there is only the one shop in North Conway. EMS is convenient for me and I like to try things on, or hold them in my hand to see if they will be right for me. I will research items on line and then go some place close by to purchase it. I keep an eye on the clearance racks at EMS and I like the consignment shop downstairs at IME. I also like to shop at New England Backpacker in Worcester. I like to stop in and check out their sales and clearance items every few weeks.

It runs the gamut. For just about anything foot related: boots, shoes, crampons, XC skis, I shop at Rock and Snow in New Paltz -- perhaps pricey and preppy, but very good.

For books and maps (that's gear to me) I order online from the NY/NJ trail conference, ADK club, or Amazon.

I use local big box and big online retailers for most other gear.

I think it's important to deal with a store that has good customer service. Right now I'm dealing hiking and camping goods store that will not refund or replace a relatively new pair of boots that were defective even though I was told by them to send the boots back for a refund. I know if these were purchased at LLBean or EMS, they would stand behind the product until I was satisfied. I won't reveal the store name until the customer service manager responds.

I buy from many of the online and brick & mortar retailers previously specified. Here is another one: backpacking deals

If you are in the market for a Granite Gear Vapor Trail and are size Short or Long, here is a link off their website: backpacking deals - ultralight packs. It sells for $109.99 and shipping is free. Good deal.

There are several other deals for ultralight packs on this same page and some other good ones elsewhere on the website.

Regards,
Marty

Last edited:
Neil said:
Shopping on eBay seems too complicated for me. Searching for stuff, the bidding process.

All valid stuff, but I've used eBay to luck out on my tent (REI Morph), bag (Marmot 15*), pack (Dana) and boots (Limmers). All were very lucky compared to how they could have gone (especially the Limmers!), and I have had my share of eHassles, but I geared up almost from scratch a couple years ago and have been rockin' ever since.

Technically speaking, you can e-mail yourself every time the name Limmer comes up, for example. Makes it easy, and there aren't too many knockoffs of some stuff.

I've also bought from the others too....

off the beaten path

Of the big items I carry (pack/tarp/sleeping bag), I got them though Ray Way.

Quite a bit of my useful winter gear came from a small shop All Outdoors (Manchester). Some decent gear can be had at good prices though department stores too. Occasional random stuff from REI/EMS - it's not that I'm avoiding those big stores, it just that they don't usually have what I'm looking for.

Bought my MSR snowshoes at REI - great customer service!

EMS is ok - I think they're regular prices are generally overpriced, clearance items are a good deal. My buddies have been haggled a few times when they tried to return defective merchandise.

Most of my hiking stuff is from LL Bean. Great quality, excellent customer service, and NOOOOO hagle returns. Also, free shipping if you use their LL Bean card.

Buy my stuff at EMS on sale usually. Otherwise LLBean, Campmor, and REI. I will agree that EMS does have high prices, no offense to any employees. However I've been slowly moving towards discount dealers like Campmor.

I know I'm not the norm here, but good deals can be found just about anywhere if you look for them.

About 30% of my gear came from the local dump, where a friend who works there looks for it before it gets crushed. To date he has saved tents, packs, clothing, poles, and even a simmerlite stove from the crusher.

Another 30% came from Goodwill or the Salvation Army. If you look often enough you can find Gore-Tex jackets and pants, fleece, base layers (just picked up some Bergelene for $1), and just about anything else at a fraction of the cost. I've never paid more than $20 for anything, except the 5Mp camera for $28, but it was worth it.

About 15% came from lawn sales.

Probably 10% came from eBay, but nothing was over 60% of new.

And the last 15% came from various retail stores such as LL Bean, EMS, REI, IME, Ragged Mountain, and anywhere else that was having a sale, very rarely do I pay full price for anything.

I keep a tally of the camping weights on my gear, and so far I've paid an average of 11% of the cost of new. Having good gear doesn't need to break the bank.

skibones said:
I think it's important to deal with a store that has good customer service. Right now I'm dealing hiking and camping goods store that will not refund or replace a relatively new pair of boots that were defective even though I was told by them to send the boots back for a refund. I know if these were purchased at LLBean or EMS, they would stand behind the product until I was satisfied. I won't reveal the store name until the customer service manager responds.

Agreed about LL Bean. I returned a pair of leather Crestas that were well-used because a few stitches started to let go after a year and a half. They smiled and took them back at the outlet store in North Conway. They called the main store for me and two days later a new pair was delivered to my house. They earned a customer for life, even though the catalogs have become heavy with yuppy clothing. I'll be purchasing a sleeping pad there soon.

I also like EMS and Ragged Mountain. All three of these places are local
(Southeastern White Mts.) , so I can hold the gear and inspect it and try it on.

Happy Trails!

Was thinking about this topic this morning, and thought I'd add, that I think Campmor has the best bags! Sounds strange, but in my bike commute, I typically put all my clothes and lunch stuff and things that I need in a plastic bag, either grocery bags or every now and then, thicker plastic bags (grocery bags are notoriously weak and rip easy). Well I've found that the plastic bags I get from Campmor are 1)hearty and thick 2) the perfect size. My panniers aren't exactly waterproof given the couple of times I've crashed on them (typically on ice in winter) so I simply put all my clothes in plastic bags to keep them dry and they get beat up. Grocery bags typically only last 3 or 4 commutes before they get ripped to shreds. However, the Campmor ones lasts usually for 10+ commutes.

EMS have decent bags but they typically are smaller in size and not as perfectly sized as the Campmor ones.

Jay