Where to stay in NH?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poison ivy

Reaction score
I'm hoping all you mega-winter hikers will have some suggestions about cheap places to stay for a weekend trip up to the Whites -- heading to Crawford Notch. I don't have a winter tent so camping is out. I've never stayed overnight in NH during the winter (and during the summer I'm at campsites) so I'm not sure what my options are.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

- Ivy

You don't actually need a winter tent to camp in the winter. Unless you're expecting a snowfall or are someplace exposed to high winds (like above treeline), a 3-season tent will serve just fine. I've used mine on several occasions, even atop a deep snow pack. One good trick is to pack up snow along the edge of the rain fly to "seal" it, preventing a cold draft from blowing across you all night.

That said, for warmer winter lodging of the "motel" class I highly recommend Johnsons Motel in Twin Mountain. Rates for a nice, clean one-bed room are very reasonable, bordering on cheap for what they are. I've stayed there numerous times and always been happy.

Of course, to stay on the super-cheap, you'd want to go to Hikers Paradise in Gorham and stay in the hostel. However, they don't take reservations for the hostel and are a bit of a haul from the Crawford Notch area.

Last edited:
The Ritz Highland, where else? Actually, I'm not too familiar with the Crawford Notch lodgings but I'll grab this opportunity to plug my cousin O.J.'s place, Parker's Motel, in Franconia Notch. A nice, family oriented motel, it's the last commercial establishment on Rte. 3 before the Flume.

Check out the Cranmore Mountain Lodge bunkhouse in North Conway. It's a great spot if you don't mind sharing rooms with other people. There's an outdoor hot tub, you get a real breakfast with pancakes and coffee, and it's cheap. Here's the link:
http://www.north-conway.com/index.php?sitePage=Hostel

I have stayed there and at Hiker's Paradise which I didn't like nearly as much.